Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Why is XP64 not being supplied with new systems?

Reply
Thread Tools

Why is XP64 not being supplied with new systems?

 
 
chris
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-06-2006
just my 2 cents worth

most computer systems being sold now include a 64 bit CPU
I haven't seen any systems that include windows 64 as the os

why is this ??


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Andre Da Costa [Extended64]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-06-2006
A combination of things, demand is either not there, support cost does not
meet the bottom line.
How to buy a Windows XP Professional x64 Edition computer
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/6...y/default.mspx
--
Andre
Windows Connected | http://www.windowsconnected.com
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
"chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> just my 2 cents worth
>
> most computer systems being sold now include a 64 bit CPU
> I haven't seen any systems that include windows 64 as the os
>
> why is this ??
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Rick
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-06-2006
Actually I have seen advertisements and listings for computer systems
with Win x64 pre-installed. I can't cite specific listings at the
moment, but they are out there.


chris wrote:
> just my 2 cents worth
>
> most computer systems being sold now include a 64 bit CPU
> I haven't seen any systems that include windows 64 as the os
>
> why is this ??
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Drew
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-06-2006
I have a Dell Precision 380 (Pentium D) that came with Win XP x64
preinstalled.

Drew

"chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> just my 2 cents worth
>
> most computer systems being sold now include a 64 bit CPU
> I haven't seen any systems that include windows 64 as the os
>
> why is this ??
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Charlie Russel - MVP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-06-2006
There are some coming with XP x64, but I think in most cases MS is
suggesting to OEMs they offer it as an option, but not as the default. It
just isn't for everyone, and there was a period when people were ending up
with it and not being happy. See my whitepaper:
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ght_for_Me.doc


--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64


chris wrote:
> just my 2 cents worth
>
> most computer systems being sold now include a 64 bit CPU
> I haven't seen any systems that include windows 64 as the os
>
> why is this ??



 
Reply With Quote
 
David R. Norton MVP Shell/User
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-07-2006

"chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> just my 2 cents worth
>
> most computer systems being sold now include a 64 bit CPU
> I haven't seen any systems that include windows 64 as the os
>
> why is this ??


That can only be answered by the system manufacturers, they're the ones who
make the decision as to what OS is installed on their computers. My guess
is that 64 bit computers will come with a 64 bit OS when the customer(s) ask
for it.







 
Reply With Quote
 
John Barnes
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-07-2006
The customer makes the decision on many computers, but until recently most
of them 'recommended' XP Pro even when X64 was also listed. Recently Dell
has removed this on many of their computers. Good first step.


"David R. Norton MVP Shell/User" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> just my 2 cents worth
>>
>> most computer systems being sold now include a 64 bit CPU
>> I haven't seen any systems that include windows 64 as the os
>>
>> why is this ??

>
> That can only be answered by the system manufacturers, they're the ones
> who
> make the decision as to what OS is installed on their computers. My guess
> is that 64 bit computers will come with a 64 bit OS when the customer(s)
> ask
> for it.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Colin Barnhorst
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-07-2006
I got my system from CyberPower. They are one of several system builders
who actively promote preinstallation of x64 on their systems.

"chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> just my 2 cents worth
>
> most computer systems being sold now include a 64 bit CPU
> I haven't seen any systems that include windows 64 as the os
>
> why is this ??
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Andre Da Costa [Extended64]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-07-2006
Yeah, I remember Dell only allowing customers to select it fro Precision
systems but I think its allowed on some XPS systems now.
--
--
Andre
Windows Connected | http://www.windowsconnected.com
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"John Barnes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The customer makes the decision on many computers, but until recently most
> of them 'recommended' XP Pro even when X64 was also listed. Recently
> Dell has removed this on many of their computers. Good first step.
>
>
> "David R. Norton MVP Shell/User" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> just my 2 cents worth
>>>
>>> most computer systems being sold now include a 64 bit CPU
>>> I haven't seen any systems that include windows 64 as the os
>>>
>>> why is this ??

>>
>> That can only be answered by the system manufacturers, they're the ones
>> who
>> make the decision as to what OS is installed on their computers. My
>> guess
>> is that 64 bit computers will come with a 64 bit OS when the customer(s)
>> ask
>> for it.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
roman modic
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-08-2006
Hello!

"chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> just my 2 cents worth
>
> most computer systems being sold now include a 64 bit CPU
> I haven't seen any systems that include windows 64 as the os
>
> why is this ??


Because
http://www.informationweek.com/manag...leID=188702166
Quote:
The performance benefits of having a 64-bit processor, no less two, are limited today. But that's expected to change once
Microsoft's Windows Vista starts shipping.
Regards, Roman


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
findcontrol("PlaceHolderPrice") why why why why why why why why why why why Mr. SweatyFinger ASP .Net 2 12-02-2006 03:46 PM
xp64 trial version & xp64 beta version install =?Utf-8?B?TWF0dGhldyBXZWJzdGVy?= Windows 64bit 7 01-08-2006 01:29 AM
OEM xp64 v. Trial xp64 ? Soma11 Windows 64bit 4 05-22-2005 08:00 PM
pysqlite2.dbapi2.ProgrammingError: Incorrect number of bindings supplied. The current statement uses 0, and there are -1 supplied. F. GEIGER Python 3 05-18-2005 03:46 PM
Validating XML against a DTD that is not supplied in the XML Schema Ben Jessel Java 0 08-05-2004 11:45 AM



Advertisments