Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > HD Defrag in xp x64

HD Defrag in xp x64

Corsair

is it the defrag program of windows xp x64 good enough??

or is there any other 3rd party tool better than the one with the o.s.
comes?? and of course which runs natively on x64.
--
regards to you all / Corsair

Larry Hodges

I run PerfectDisk 7.0. I like it for several reasons. First, you can
schedule defrags to run at night so you don't have to manually do it.
Second, you can run offline defrags, which will defrag paging and system
files upon a reboot.

-Larry

"Corsair" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%233fqy%(E-Mail Removed)...
> is it the defrag program of windows xp x64 good enough??
>
> or is there any other 3rd party tool better than the one with the o.s.
> comes?? and of course which runs natively on x64.
> --
> regards to you all / Corsair

Charlie Russel - MVP

I'll second Larry's vote for PerfectDisk. I've used them for years, on both
clients and servers, and like their products a lot.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"Corsair" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%233fqy%(E-Mail Removed)...
> is it the defrag program of windows xp x64 good enough??
>
> or is there any other 3rd party tool better than the one with the o.s.
> comes?? and of course which runs natively on x64.
> --
> regards to you all / Corsair

Bioboffin

Corsair wrote:

> is it the defrag program of windows xp x64 good enough??
>
> or is there any other 3rd party tool better than the one with the o.s.
> comes?? and of course which runs natively on x64.

Like the others who have replied, I am using Perfect disk.

There is also Diskeeper pro, which runs quicker than Perfect disk, but in my
opinion does not do such a thorough job. In addition, Diskeeper's upgrade
policy is a bit convoluted.

Another possibility is O&O which has a 64 bit version, and you can download
it for free and trial it for 30 days.

All three offer boot defrag, which enables you to defragment the MFT zone
and paging file. The built in defragmenter doesn't do that.

OTOH, there are web sites that suggest that defragmentation is not very
important for NTFS, at least on drives which are less than 90% full. It
gives you a tiny speed improvement.

--

John.

Rick

From personal experience I can assure you defragging is beneficial. I
even had a situation recently where a computer would not install updates
because the HD was too fragmented. I forgot the BSOD error, but when I
found it on Microsoft's web site, the solution was to defrag the HD.
The built-in defragger would lock-up and I had to use PerfectDisk to
defrag the HD before the system would install the updates.

Bioboffin wrote:
> Corsair wrote:
>
>> is it the defrag program of windows xp x64 good enough??
>>
>> or is there any other 3rd party tool better than the one with the o.s.
>> comes?? and of course which runs natively on x64.

> Like the others who have replied, I am using Perfect disk.
>
> There is also Diskeeper pro, which runs quicker than Perfect disk, but in my
> opinion does not do such a thorough job. In addition, Diskeeper's upgrade
> policy is a bit convoluted.
>
> Another possibility is O&O which has a 64 bit version, and you can download
> it for free and trial it for 30 days.
>
> All three offer boot defrag, which enables you to defragment the MFT zone
> and paging file. The built in defragmenter doesn't do that.
>
> OTOH, there are web sites that suggest that defragmentation is not very
> important for NTFS, at least on drives which are less than 90% full. It
> gives you a tiny speed improvement.
>
> --
>
> John.

Corsair

Thanks to you all, I'll try with Perfect Disk and I'll post about.
--
regards/Corsair

RFOG

You forgot speed.

A system defragmented with perfect disk or diskeeper or other
*professional* defragmenter is noticeably faster.

--
Visita mi blog: http://rfog.blogsome.com
Libros, ciencia ficción y programación

Graham

Bioboffin wrote:
> Another possibility is O&O which has a 64 bit version, and you can download
> it for free and trial it for 30 days.

Just a word of caution about this one. Things may have changed after all
the rumpus about Sony's rootkit, but the O&O Defrag trial of about a
year ago put hidden values in your registery. Rootkitrevealer found them
though, but getting rid of them was another matter.

Incidentally, the O&O Defrag program worked fine, but I bought
Perfectdisk 7 instead, at least in part because it doesn't try to hide
things on my machine.

Graham.

Colin Barnhorst

Yes. It will do the job. You may safely ignore cheerleading for various
third party programs. I say that as a huge fan of Diskeeper 10. The
decision of whether or not to use a third party defrag program is one of
speed. All are faster than the system tool but the provided defrag program
works just fine.

"Corsair" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%233fqy%(E-Mail Removed)...
> is it the defrag program of windows xp x64 good enough??
>
> or is there any other 3rd party tool better than the one with the o.s.
> comes?? and of course which runs natively on x64.
> --
> regards to you all / Corsair

Tony Sperling

Although, it is a problem, I think that NTFS's willingness to 'Fragment' is
coupled with the system tool's unwillingness to compact the free space. This
could bring you trouble as free space evaporates away.

Tony. . .

news:(E-Mail Removed)...