Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > OT: PDFs and Office 2007

OT: PDFs and Office 2007

DP

Since this came up in an earlier thread today:
It turns out Office 2007 will not be able to save docs as pdf's UNLESS you
download an add-on program, which will be FREE.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13105705/from/RS.2/

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

I wish there was a compromise, especially with support 64-bit from Adobe
lacking for their Acrobat products. Oh well, at least you will be able to
download a module from Microsoft that will enable it when Office 2007 is
released. I knew XPS would have gotten Adobe worried.
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"DP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Since this came up in an earlier thread today:
> It turns out Office 2007 will not be able to save docs as pdf's UNLESS you
> download an add-on program, which will be FREE.
>
> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13105705/from/RS.2/

Larry Hodges

I have Adobe CS, which is PhotoShop, Illustrator, Acrobat and some others
bundled in a suite. I'm not at all impressed. I realize it's the standard
in the graphics industry, but there is no flow to the apps. They're kind of
tossed together and there is no similarity in menus, etc.

Not to mention, you can't generate a PDF. How lame is that? I have
DocuDesk for that, so I'm doing fine. But if a little company like DocuDesk
can write a 64 bit print driver that works flawlessly, why can't Adobe?

-Larry
Maximize Software, Inc.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I wish there was a compromise, especially with support 64-bit from Adobe
>lacking for their Acrobat products. Oh well, at least you will be able to
>download a module from Microsoft that will enable it when Office 2007 is
>released. I knew XPS would have gotten Adobe worried.
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>
> "DP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Since this came up in an earlier thread today:
>> It turns out Office 2007 will not be able to save docs as pdf's UNLESS
>> you download an add-on program, which will be FREE.
>>
>> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13105705/from/RS.2/

Dennis Gordon

Larry, if you have the CS bundle, don't you have InDesign as well? You can
export PDF directly from that.

As for Acrobat, although the PDF printer won't install under 64 bit, you can
easily set up a postscript printer (I use a Scitex model), print to file to
a watched folder and let Distiller take it from there.

CS is becoming the publishing industry standard. There is quite a bit of
integration (e.g. drag 'n drop between apps) as well as overlapping
capabilities (e.g. strroking and drop shadows in Illustrator and InDesign).
Nothing's perfect, and Adobe's hegemony following the decline of Quark (not
dead yet with v7) may not bode well for users (Adobe's activation technology
makes many uneasy), but their tools are the standard for now, and they work
great together, once you get familiar with them...

"Larry Hodges" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have Adobe CS, which is PhotoShop, Illustrator, Acrobat and some others
> bundled in a suite. I'm not at all impressed. I realize it's the

standard
> in the graphics industry, but there is no flow to the apps. They're kind

of
> tossed together and there is no similarity in menus, etc.
>
> Not to mention, you can't generate a PDF. How lame is that? I have
> DocuDesk for that, so I'm doing fine. But if a little company like

DocuDesk
> can write a 64 bit print driver that works flawlessly, why can't Adobe?
>
> -Larry
> Maximize Software, Inc.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I wish there was a compromise, especially with support 64-bit from Adobe
> >lacking for their Acrobat products. Oh well, at least you will be able to
> >download a module from Microsoft that will enable it when Office 2007 is
> >released. I knew XPS would have gotten Adobe worried.
> > --
> > --
> > Andre
> > Windows Connected | http://www.windowsconnected.com
> >
> > "DP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Since this came up in an earlier thread today:
> >> It turns out Office 2007 will not be able to save docs as pdf's UNLESS
> >> you download an add-on program, which will be FREE.
> >>
> >> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13105705/from/RS.2/

Larry Hodges

Who knows. I've never figured out what that stupid app is for lol.

I have Adobe Acrobat in the suite. That "is" for creating PDFs. And from
within Acrobat, you can import whatever and create a PDF. The feature to
which I'm referring installs in toolbars within Outlook, Word, Excel, etc.
that let you generate a PDF from within the native document. That doesn't
work. So I use DocuDesk.

-Larry

"Dennis Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Larry, if you have the CS bundle, don't you have InDesign as well? You can
> export PDF directly from that.
>
> As for Acrobat, although the PDF printer won't install under 64 bit, you
> can
> easily set up a postscript printer (I use a Scitex model), print to file
> a watched folder and let Distiller take it from there.
>
> CS is becoming the publishing industry standard. There is quite a bit of
> integration (e.g. drag 'n drop between apps) as well as overlapping
> capabilities (e.g. strroking and drop shadows in Illustrator and
> InDesign).
> Nothing's perfect, and Adobe's hegemony following the decline of Quark
> (not
> dead yet with v7) may not bode well for users (Adobe's activation
> technology
> makes many uneasy), but their tools are the standard for now, and they
> work
> great together, once you get familiar with them...
>

> "Larry Hodges" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I have Adobe CS, which is PhotoShop, Illustrator, Acrobat and some others
>> bundled in a suite. I'm not at all impressed. I realize it's the

> standard
>> in the graphics industry, but there is no flow to the apps. They're kind

> of
>> tossed together and there is no similarity in menus, etc.
>>
>> Not to mention, you can't generate a PDF. How lame is that? I have
>> DocuDesk for that, so I'm doing fine. But if a little company like

> DocuDesk
>> can write a 64 bit print driver that works flawlessly, why can't Adobe?
>>
>> -Larry
>> Maximize Software, Inc.

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I wish there was a compromise, especially with support 64-bit from Adobe
>> >lacking for their Acrobat products. Oh well, at least you will be able
>> >download a module from Microsoft that will enable it when Office 2007 is
>> >released. I knew XPS would have gotten Adobe worried.
>> > --
>> > --
>> > Andre
>> > Windows Connected | http://www.windowsconnected.com
>> > Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>> > Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre
>> > http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
>> >
>> > "DP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Yeah, but it would have been nice just have it integrated in Office out of
the box.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
"Larry Hodges" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have Adobe CS, which is PhotoShop, Illustrator, Acrobat and some others
>bundled in a suite. I'm not at all impressed. I realize it's the standard
>in the graphics industry, but there is no flow to the apps. They're kind
>of tossed together and there is no similarity in menus, etc.
>
> Not to mention, you can't generate a PDF. How lame is that? I have
> DocuDesk for that, so I'm doing fine. But if a little company like
> DocuDesk can write a 64 bit print driver that works flawlessly, why can't
> Adobe?
>
> -Larry
> Maximize Software, Inc.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I wish there was a compromise, especially with support 64-bit from Adobe
>>lacking for their Acrobat products. Oh well, at least you will be able to
>>download a module from Microsoft that will enable it when Office 2007 is
>>released. I knew XPS would have gotten Adobe worried.
>> --
>> --
>> Andre
>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>>
>> "DP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Since this came up in an earlier thread today:
>>> It turns out Office 2007 will not be able to save docs as pdf's UNLESS
>>> you download an add-on program, which will be FREE.
>>>
>>> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13105705/from/RS.2/

Dennis Gordon

Yeah, but printing to the postscript printer does allow you to create the
PDF from the native doc. It just isn't automated, so you need to print PS to
the watched folder and then open the PDF from your Out folder. One extra
step, but the same result...

InDesign may seem intimidating and ponderous, but if you take the time to
learn it you'll soon look back on Word and think "...geez, what a piece of
crap!...."...

"Larry Hodges" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Who knows. I've never figured out what that stupid app is for lol.
>
> I have Adobe Acrobat in the suite. That "is" for creating PDFs. And from
> within Acrobat, you can import whatever and create a PDF. The feature to
> which I'm referring installs in toolbars within Outlook, Word, Excel, etc.
> that let you generate a PDF from within the native document. That doesn't
> work. So I use DocuDesk.
>
> -Larry
>
> "Dennis Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Larry, if you have the CS bundle, don't you have InDesign as well? You

can
> > export PDF directly from that.
> >
> > As for Acrobat, although the PDF printer won't install under 64 bit, you
> > can
> > easily set up a postscript printer (I use a Scitex model), print to file
> > a watched folder and let Distiller take it from there.
> >
> > CS is becoming the publishing industry standard. There is quite a bit of
> > integration (e.g. drag 'n drop between apps) as well as overlapping
> > capabilities (e.g. strroking and drop shadows in Illustrator and
> > InDesign).
> > Nothing's perfect, and Adobe's hegemony following the decline of Quark
> > (not
> > dead yet with v7) may not bode well for users (Adobe's activation
> > technology
> > makes many uneasy), but their tools are the standard for now, and they
> > work
> > great together, once you get familiar with them...
> >

> > "Larry Hodges" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> I have Adobe CS, which is PhotoShop, Illustrator, Acrobat and some

others
> >> bundled in a suite. I'm not at all impressed. I realize it's the

> > standard
> >> in the graphics industry, but there is no flow to the apps. They're

kind
> > of
> >> tossed together and there is no similarity in menus, etc.
> >>
> >> Not to mention, you can't generate a PDF. How lame is that? I have
> >> DocuDesk for that, so I'm doing fine. But if a little company like

> > DocuDesk
> >> can write a 64 bit print driver that works flawlessly, why can't Adobe?
> >>
> >> -Larry
> >> Maximize Software, Inc.
> >>

> >> "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Adobe

is

UNLESS

Larry Hodges

I'd say there is politics at work there. They could easily if they wanted
to.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yeah, but it would have been nice just have it integrated in Office out of
> the box.
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
> "Larry Hodges" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have Adobe CS, which is PhotoShop, Illustrator, Acrobat and some others
>>bundled in a suite. I'm not at all impressed. I realize it's the
>>standard in the graphics industry, but there is no flow to the apps.
>>They're kind of tossed together and there is no similarity in menus, etc.
>>
>> Not to mention, you can't generate a PDF. How lame is that? I have
>> DocuDesk for that, so I'm doing fine. But if a little company like
>> DocuDesk can write a 64 bit print driver that works flawlessly, why can't
>> Adobe?
>>
>> -Larry
>> Maximize Software, Inc.

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I wish there was a compromise, especially with support 64-bit from Adobe
>>>lacking for their Acrobat products. Oh well, at least you will be able to
>>>download a module from Microsoft that will enable it when Office 2007 is
>>>released. I knew XPS would have gotten Adobe worried.
>>> --
>>> --
>>> Andre
>>> Windows Connected | http://www.windowsconnected.com
>>>
>>> "DP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Larry Hodges

I have no idea what you just said, but I'm intrigued and will look into it.

"Dennis Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yeah, but printing to the postscript printer does allow you to create the
> PDF from the native doc. It just isn't automated, so you need to print PS
> the watched folder and then open the PDF from your Out folder. One extra
> step, but the same result...
>
> InDesign may seem intimidating and ponderous, but if you take the time to
> learn it you'll soon look back on Word and think "...geez, what a piece of
> crap!...."...
>

> "Larry Hodges" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> Who knows. I've never figured out what that stupid app is for lol.
>>
>> I have Adobe Acrobat in the suite. That "is" for creating PDFs. And
>> from
>> within Acrobat, you can import whatever and create a PDF. The feature to
>> which I'm referring installs in toolbars within Outlook, Word, Excel,
>> etc.
>> that let you generate a PDF from within the native document. That
>> doesn't
>> work. So I use DocuDesk.
>>
>> -Larry
>>
>> "Dennis Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Larry, if you have the CS bundle, don't you have InDesign as well? You

> can
>> > export PDF directly from that.
>> >
>> > As for Acrobat, although the PDF printer won't install under 64 bit,
>> > you
>> > can
>> > easily set up a postscript printer (I use a Scitex model), print to
>> > file
>> > a watched folder and let Distiller take it from there.
>> >
>> > CS is becoming the publishing industry standard. There is quite a bit
>> > of
>> > integration (e.g. drag 'n drop between apps) as well as overlapping
>> > capabilities (e.g. strroking and drop shadows in Illustrator and
>> > InDesign).
>> > Nothing's perfect, and Adobe's hegemony following the decline of Quark
>> > (not
>> > dead yet with v7) may not bode well for users (Adobe's activation
>> > technology
>> > makes many uneasy), but their tools are the standard for now, and they
>> > work
>> > great together, once you get familiar with them...
>> >

>> > "Larry Hodges" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> others
>> > standard

> kind
>> > of

>> > DocuDesk

> Adobe

> is

> UNLESS

Dennis Gordon

Let me walk ya through it quickly using my older version of Office XP:

First: create a Postscript printer by adding a printer with PS capabilities.
There are many to choose from. I use the "Scitex Dolev4Press PSM L2" model,
but there are many others that should work. Make sure you select FILE (Print
to File) as the printer port. All you're doing is creating a dummy
postscript printer that will generate a postscript file that Distiller
will... um... distill.

Next: Open up Distiller. Under Settings, select Watched Folders. Click Add
Folder and select a drive. Distiller will automatically create 2 folders: In
and Out. You can also customize what to do with the leftover Postscript
files (best to delete them) and whether to delete the PDFs after a while, or
not.

That's it. Now when you're in Word, or Excel or whatever, you can print to
that postscript printer. Since you're printing to file, make sure you print
to the In folder. Whenever Distiller is open, it will look into that folder
every few seconds to see if there's anything to work on. If it spots a PS
file, it will distill it automatically and leave the resulting PDF in the
Out folder for your enjoyment.

Just leave Distiller open in the background and you'll be able to print PDF
from anything. It's the old-fashioned way... but it works perfectly fine.