Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Windows x64 is not seeing 4gig

Windows x64 is not seeing 4gig

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyayBE?=

I have just built a new pc. I have an Asus A8R32 MVP-Deluxe mobo, 2 XT1800
512MB Crossfire cards, Opteron 175 cpu and 4 1gig sticks of memory. My BIOS
sees the 4gig but Windows is only seeing 3gig. I was under the impression
that x64 had a very high memory limit. I have the latest mobo Bios version.
Also a side question, I am have trouble getting my crossfire to work. The
message I get is that the interconnect cable it not connected. Any help
would be great.

Thanks!!!

Charlie Russel - MVP

The problem is that there are reserved areas of memory that are used to
provide PCI BIOS support. Some motherboards are smart enough to re-map the
memory to take advantage of the fully amount of memory in your system.
Others, unfortunately, do not. When the mobo (BIOS, really) doesn't do the
remap, you end up with memory that isn't available. Talk to your mobo mfg
about it. There's really no excuse.

On the crossfire - well, I hate to ask the obvious, but do you have the
interconnect cable installed? The error message is pretty clear. No
crossfire here, though, so not a whole lot of familiarity with the possible
problems.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Mark D wrote:
> I have just built a new pc. I have an Asus A8R32 MVP-Deluxe mobo, 2
> XT1800 512MB Crossfire cards, Opteron 175 cpu and 4 1gig sticks of
> memory. My BIOS sees the 4gig but Windows is only seeing 3gig. I was
> under the impression that x64 had a very high memory limit. I have the
> latest mobo Bios version. Also a side question, I am have trouble getting
> my crossfire to work. The message I get is that the interconnect cable
> it not connected. Any help would be great.
>
> Thanks!!!

=?Utf-8?B?cmFicml0dGFpbg==?=

Hi --

I have recently built 3 machines based on the ASUS A8R-MVP motherboard. I
realize that it's not the same motherboard, but the BIOS options may be
similar.

On mine, there is a "CPU Configuration" sub-menu to the "Advanced" menu.
Within that sub-menu there is an "MTRR Mapping" item. In order for me to be
see 4 GB ram on the machines that I built, it was necessary to set that item
to "Discrete".

-- Hope this helps.