Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Cannot remove "Ghost" programs

Cannot remove "Ghost" programs

Jose

"David Ekman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> How about that registry cleaner tool from Microsoft? If it will put things
> back to normal, I might try it. No, this is not the registryman.

The best registry cleaner that I know of, is a very strong magnet.
Everything else is trivial.

Jo

Tony Sperling

I agree, to let it alone, A registry entry - or even a handfull - can't do
any harm on it's own. If there is nothing installed that would rely on the
key(s) it isn't doing anything. Except taking up the rather limited space.

Tony. . .

"Graham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> John Barnes wrote:
>> Remember that the only entries you eliminated for Yahoo and Google were
>> the uninstall entries. The only way to clean out all the registry
>> entries is to reinstall and then uninstall those programs using the
>> add/remove panel.

> Well, even that's not ensured. It's a rare program that fully removes
> itself from the registry when uninstalled! I'd suggest if there's no
> problems he now leave well alone.
>
> Graham.

John Barnes

If you are referring to regclean it hasn't been supported in years, but it
does work and will clean up some entries. Leaving everything alone is also
a very good option.

"David Ekman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> How about that registry cleaner tool from Microsoft? If it will put things
> back to normal, I might try it. No, this is not the registryman.
>
> "John Barnes" wrote:
>
>> You may get rid of all entries, but will get rid of most with Yahoo and
>> Google. You will have to get rid of Trend manually, and I know nothing
>> of
>> MS antispy, but you can try to install it and if it installs, you can
>> then
>> uninstall. You can also take Graham's advice and do nothing.
>> Is this related to the registryman posts of some time ago which Darryll
>> recommended reinstalling?
>>
>> "David Ekman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Ok, I will reinstall google and yahoo and then uninstall to clean the
>> > registry completely. What can I do about the MS-antspyware and Trend
>> > micro,
>> > the same process?

=?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgRWttYW4=?=

Yes, I agree. I better leave it alone. But here comes another problem.
Yesterday, I was going through the add-remove list, trying to find any other
programs that I might not need. I do not know if I was asleep or something,
but I accidently REMOVED ADOBE ACROBAT READER 7.0. This program came
originally installed on the computer when I bought it. (PART of WINDOWS XP
SP2). Damn, now what can I do?

"John Barnes" wrote:

> If you are referring to regclean it hasn't been supported in years, but it
> does work and will clean up some entries. Leaving everything alone is also
> a very good option.
>

> "David Ekman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > How about that registry cleaner tool from Microsoft? If it will put things
> > back to normal, I might try it. No, this is not the registryman.
> >
> > "John Barnes" wrote:
> >
> >> You may get rid of all entries, but will get rid of most with Yahoo and
> >> Google. You will have to get rid of Trend manually, and I know nothing
> >> of
> >> MS antispy, but you can try to install it and if it installs, you can
> >> then
> >> uninstall. You can also take Graham's advice and do nothing.
> >> Is this related to the registryman posts of some time ago which Darryll
> >> recommended reinstalling?
> >>
> >> "David Ekman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Tony Sperling

Surf on over to Adobe and download it - it's free!

;0)

Tony. . .

"David Ekman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes, I agree. I better leave it alone. But here comes another problem.
> Yesterday, I was going through the add-remove list, trying to find any
> other
> programs that I might not need. I do not know if I was asleep or
> something,
> but I accidently REMOVED ADOBE ACROBAT READER 7.0. This program came
> originally installed on the computer when I bought it. (PART of WINDOWS XP
> SP2). Damn, now what can I do?
>
> "John Barnes" wrote:
>
>> If you are referring to regclean it hasn't been supported in years, but
>> it
>> does work and will clean up some entries. Leaving everything alone is
>> also
>> a very good option.
>>

>> "David Ekman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > How about that registry cleaner tool from Microsoft? If it will put
>> > things
>> > back to normal, I might try it. No, this is not the registryman.

=?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgRWttYW4=?=

I went over to Adobe web page and unfortunately they only give you a 30 day
free trial.
I had ADOBE ACROBAT READER 7.0, I am pretty sure of that. If the computer
you are using has windows XP SP 2, I would kindly appreciate it if you could
tell me what ADOBE program came pre-installed with your computer, to see if I
am not mistaken.

"Tony Sperling" wrote:

> Surf on over to Adobe and download it - it's free!
>
> ;0)
>
> Tony. . .
>

> "David Ekman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Yes, I agree. I better leave it alone. But here comes another problem.
> > Yesterday, I was going through the add-remove list, trying to find any
> > other
> > programs that I might not need. I do not know if I was asleep or
> > something,
> > but I accidently REMOVED ADOBE ACROBAT READER 7.0. This program came
> > originally installed on the computer when I bought it. (PART of WINDOWS XP
> > SP2). Damn, now what can I do?
> >
> > "John Barnes" wrote:
> >
> >> If you are referring to regclean it hasn't been supported in years, but
> >> it
> >> does work and will clean up some entries. Leaving everything alone is
> >> also
> >> a very good option.
> >>

> >> "David Ekman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Jane Colman

Adobe Reader is free Try this link to the download.

http://www.adobe.com/products/acroba...lversions.html

--
Jane, not plain 64bit enabled
Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation.
"David Ekman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I went over to Adobe web page and unfortunately they only give you a 30 day
> free trial.
> I had ADOBE ACROBAT READER 7.0, I am pretty sure of that. If the computer
> you are using has windows XP SP 2, I would kindly appreciate it if you
> could
> tell me what ADOBE program came pre-installed with your computer, to see
> if I
> am not mistaken.
>

> "Tony Sperling" wrote:
>
>> Surf on over to Adobe and download it - it's free!
>>
>> ;0)
>>
>> Tony. . .
>>

>> "David Ekman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Yes, I agree. I better leave it alone. But here comes another problem.
>> > Yesterday, I was going through the add-remove list, trying to find any
>> > other
>> > programs that I might not need. I do not know if I was asleep or
>> > something,
>> > but I accidently REMOVED ADOBE ACROBAT READER 7.0. This program came
>> > originally installed on the computer when I bought it. (PART of WINDOWS
>> > XP
>> > SP2). Damn, now what can I do?

Colin Barnhorst

You are confusing Adobe Acrobat with Adobe Acrobat Reader. Acrobat is
expensive. The reader is free.

"David Ekman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I went over to Adobe web page and unfortunately they only give you a 30 day
> free trial.
> I had ADOBE ACROBAT READER 7.0, I am pretty sure of that. If the computer
> you are using has windows XP SP 2, I would kindly appreciate it if you
> could
> tell me what ADOBE program came pre-installed with your computer, to see
> if I
> am not mistaken.
>

> "Tony Sperling" wrote:
>
>> Surf on over to Adobe and download it - it's free!
>>
>> ;0)
>>
>> Tony. . .
>>

>> "David Ekman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Yes, I agree. I better leave it alone. But here comes another problem.
>> > Yesterday, I was going through the add-remove list, trying to find any
>> > other
>> > programs that I might not need. I do not know if I was asleep or
>> > something,
>> > but I accidently REMOVED ADOBE ACROBAT READER 7.0. This program came
>> > originally installed on the computer when I bought it. (PART of WINDOWS
>> > XP
>> > SP2). Damn, now what can I do?

John Barnes

And has a link to the download on almost every page that has a pdf link.

"David Ekman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I went over to Adobe web page and unfortunately they only give you a 30 day
> free trial.
> I had ADOBE ACROBAT READER 7.0, I am pretty sure of that. If the computer
> you are using has windows XP SP 2, I would kindly appreciate it if you
> could
> tell me what ADOBE program came pre-installed with your computer, to see
> if I
> am not mistaken.
>

> "Tony Sperling" wrote:
>
>> Surf on over to Adobe and download it - it's free!
>>
>> ;0)
>>
>> Tony. . .
>>

>> "David Ekman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Yes, I agree. I better leave it alone. But here comes another problem.
>> > Yesterday, I was going through the add-remove list, trying to find any
>> > other
>> > programs that I might not need. I do not know if I was asleep or
>> > something,
>> > but I accidently REMOVED ADOBE ACROBAT READER 7.0. This program came
>> > originally installed on the computer when I bought it. (PART of WINDOWS
>> > XP
>> > SP2). Damn, now what can I do?

=?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgRWttYW4=?=

No problem. I did a system restore and recovered Adobe.
I was mistaken, it was Adobe Acrobat 5.0 and Adobe Reader 5.0 that I have
installed.