Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Freezing Problem

Freezing Problem

Cheese_Thief

I have been trying to troubleshoot a freezing problem I've been having
with my workstation. The problem is, that quite frequently, my computer
will freeze (which is non-recoverable = reboot). The freezes occur when
I attempt to play video files, play computer games, and sometimes when
I am simultaneously listening to music and surfing the Internet. I
thought I may have inserted the memory sticks incorrectly or they may
be the wrong type. I even bought a fan designed to fit over my memory
sticks. However, after reviewing my motherboard manufacturer's
information, I found it was the correct type (even tried inserting them
in different arrangements). Which leaves me to believe my problem may
be either my video card or I have the wrong motherboard for my dual
Xeon's. I have diabled the onboard ATI 3D-RAGE XL video adapter and am
using a PCI Express x16 card. I have also updated the Bios and other
Firmware for my motherboard.

Specs:

Dual Xeon 3.0Ghz (HT)
Intel Server Board SE7525GP2
2 x 1 GB ECC DDR 184 pin DIMMs
NVIDIA GeForce 6200 (PCI Express x16)

If anyone has any ideas to what may be causing my frequent freezes I
would be forever thankful. If any additional information is needed,
please let me know.

Thank you in advance...

Tony Sperling

Such problems can be so hard to locate - first try and reset your BIOS to
it's default and then start disabling things. Disable any of the options in
the BIOS that you are not using, things like Serial and Parallel ports (not
that these two would normally matter much, but a side effect is that you can
have the machine boot faster!) you can disable all of that in one go, later
you should make only one change at a time and reboot and see if there is any
change, this is plenty tedious work, and there is no point in working up a
frenzy, this can take quite some time, so do it in the course of the normal
kind of operations of a normal day.

In the course of the normal day you could then try and disable the Internet
and other networking that isn't necessary for the next of those things you
will be undertaking that you know may trigger the problem. Try and not
listen to music in the same manner to see if you can find a kind of common
behaviour.

Also, how old is the machine - who built it, and what sound card are you
using, report back and someone may come up with a good idea - someone often
do!

I should mention too, that not rarely is this kind of trouble connected with
temperature and/or frequency and power supply, and memory to as you suggest.
Make sure you are not over-clocking, you could even try and under-clock 5%,
and set everything to it's most basic setting. What is your PSU and what
kind of case are you having?

With a bit of patience, and taking the systematic approach, you should be
able to find the root of this.

Tony. . .

"Cheese_Thief" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>I have been trying to troubleshoot a freezing problem I've been having
> with my workstation. The problem is, that quite frequently, my computer
> will freeze (which is non-recoverable = reboot). The freezes occur when
> I attempt to play video files, play computer games, and sometimes when
> I am simultaneously listening to music and surfing the Internet. I
> thought I may have inserted the memory sticks incorrectly or they may
> be the wrong type. I even bought a fan designed to fit over my memory
> sticks. However, after reviewing my motherboard manufacturer's
> information, I found it was the correct type (even tried inserting them
> in different arrangements). Which leaves me to believe my problem may
> be either my video card or I have the wrong motherboard for my dual
> Xeon's. I have diabled the onboard ATI 3D-RAGE XL video adapter and am
> using a PCI Express x16 card. I have also updated the Bios and other
> Firmware for my motherboard.
>
> Specs:
>
> Dual Xeon 3.0Ghz (HT)
> Intel Server Board SE7525GP2
> 2 x 1 GB ECC DDR 184 pin DIMMs
> NVIDIA GeForce 6200 (PCI Express x16)
>
> If anyone has any ideas to what may be causing my frequent freezes I
> would be forever thankful. If any additional information is needed,
> please let me know.
>
> Thank you in advance...

Charlie Russel - MVP

A good monitoring application would help here. Something like Everest or
SpeedFan.

Also look at possible software interactions. We've seen reports of system
freezes lately with current beta of ZoneAlarm, for example.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Tony Sperling wrote:
> [...]
>> be the wrong type. I even bought a fan designed to fit over my memory
>> sticks. However, after reviewing my motherboard manufacturer's
>> information, I found it was the correct type (even tried inserting them
>> in different arrangements). Which leaves me to believe my problem may
>> be either my video card or I have the wrong motherboard for my dual
>> Xeon's. I have diabled the onboard ATI 3D-RAGE XL video adapter and am
>> using a PCI Express x16 card. I have also updated the Bios and other
>> Firmware for my motherboard.
>>
>> Specs:
>>
>> Dual Xeon 3.0Ghz (HT)
>> Intel Server Board SE7525GP2
>> 2 x 1 GB ECC DDR 184 pin DIMMs
>> NVIDIA GeForce 6200 (PCI Express x16)
>>
>> If anyone has any ideas to what may be causing my frequent freezes I
>> would be forever thankful. If any additional information is needed,

Cheese_Thief

Thank you both for your suggestions. I will follow your advice and see
what I find. Thanks again.

Cheese_Thief

Oh, by the way, I built the system myself. My sound card is a Creative
SB Live! Value (CT4780) Sound Card. By PSU I assume you mean my power
supply? It is 530W. If anymore information is needed, please let me know