Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Mirror driver tests?

Mirror driver tests?

Graystar

I've got a ASUS A8Vdeluxe running in RAID 1 configuration [mirrored] with a
Beta driver.
That beta driver is the only reason I could get x64 to even function
properly.

Anyone know of a diagnostic that can verify that the mirror is functioning
correctly?
or would it just not boot if it wasn't?

Charlie Russel - MVP

Why would you be running a beta driver? Are you running on the Promise
controller? DON'T! The VIA controller works better, and the drivers are
WHQL. (I have two of those boards, running happily. )

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Graystar wrote:
> I've got a ASUS A8Vdeluxe running in RAID 1 configuration [mirrored] with
> a Beta driver.
> That beta driver is the only reason I could get x64 to even function
> properly.
>
> Anyone know of a diagnostic that can verify that the mirror is functioning
> correctly?
> or would it just not boot if it wasn't?

Graystar

Yep. Running the Promise controller because the other one refuses to
recognize or even configure the drives.
It's been running fine for several months now.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Why would you be running a beta driver? Are you running on the Promise
> controller? DON'T! The VIA controller works better, and the drivers are
> WHQL. (I have two of those boards, running happily. )
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>

> Graystar wrote:
>> I've got a ASUS A8Vdeluxe running in RAID 1 configuration [mirrored] with
>> a Beta driver.
>> That beta driver is the only reason I could get x64 to even function
>> properly.
>>
>> Anyone know of a diagnostic that can verify that the mirror is
>> functioning
>> correctly?
>> or would it just not boot if it wasn't?

Tony Sperling

I think that if you were able to install, and the system is running, you can
safely assume that it is functioning. Of course, while this is no guarantee,
each of the different RAID modes will have to be it's own little system and
I would think that in any other event it would have thrown an error during
the installation - I do not know of any diagnostic to test it, the
scientific way to do it would be to treat it as if it had gone bad, while
the system is new and you can control what you are loosing, and while you
have succeeded to install and doing it again would be almost trivial. A lot
of work, but it may be the only way, on the other hand, as you experiment
with Beta OS's you learn to put trust in Beta drivers.

But, if you do have valuable data, a backup strategy would be in order.
Perhaps a data partition on a nonRAID'ed disk?

Tony. . .

"Graystar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've got a ASUS A8Vdeluxe running in RAID 1 configuration [mirrored] with
> a Beta driver.
> That beta driver is the only reason I could get x64 to even function
> properly.
>
> Anyone know of a diagnostic that can verify that the mirror is functioning
> correctly?
> or would it just not boot if it wasn't?

Graystar

Yep OK. Though I'm running the XP Pro x64 which is a system distribution
OpSys, not a beta.

Since the x64 system has few 64 bit drivers out for it, it is expected that
some of the drivers would be beta.
So far I've only gotten stuck on the non existant/antagonistic support that
ATI has for it's AIW 9600 AGP.
That also uses a kludged driver.
The only other alternative would be to 1) wait for Vista [ugh] or 2) go
Linux which would not support the programs I use.
Until the market gets it's act together it's just going to be one big CF for
awhile.

So I suppose I could unplug one of the drives and see if it will boot.

>I think that if you were able to install, and the system is running, you
>can safely assume that it is functioning. Of course, while this is no
>guarantee, each of the different RAID modes will have to be it's own little
>system and I would think that in any other event it would have thrown an
>error during the installation - I do not know of any diagnostic to test it,
>the scientific way to do it would be to treat it as if it had gone bad,
>while the system is new and you can control what you are loosing, and while
>you have succeeded to install and doing it again would be almost trivial. A
>lot of work, but it may be the only way, on the other hand, as you
>experiment with Beta OS's you learn to put trust in Beta drivers.
>
> But, if you do have valuable data, a backup strategy would be in order.
> Perhaps a data partition on a nonRAID'ed disk?
>

> Tony. . .
>

> "Graystar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> I've got a ASUS A8Vdeluxe running in RAID 1 configuration [mirrored] with
>> a Beta driver.
>> That beta driver is the only reason I could get x64 to even function
>> properly.
>>
>> Anyone know of a diagnostic that can verify that the mirror is
>> functioning correctly?
>> or would it just not boot if it wasn't?

Tony Sperling

Although, if Charlie has experience with the card, it would be worth
listening to and maybe investigate a bit further - I am no authority on RAID
(or anything else?)

It is my experience that drivers are a bit different from other software,
they seldom "sort-of-work" or almost work, it is all or nothing.

Tony. . .

"Graystar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yep OK. Though I'm running the XP Pro x64 which is a system distribution
> OpSys, not a beta.
>
> Since the x64 system has few 64 bit drivers out for it, it is expected
> that some of the drivers would be beta.
> So far I've only gotten stuck on the non existant/antagonistic support
> that ATI has for it's AIW 9600 AGP.
> That also uses a kludged driver.
> The only other alternative would be to 1) wait for Vista [ugh] or 2) go
> Linux which would not support the programs I use.
> Until the market gets it's act together it's just going to be one big CF
> for awhile.
>
> So I suppose I could unplug one of the drives and see if it will boot.

>>I think that if you were able to install, and the system is running, you
>>can safely assume that it is functioning. Of course, while this is no
>>guarantee, each of the different RAID modes will have to be it's own
>>little system and I would think that in any other event it would have
>>thrown an error during the installation - I do not know of any diagnostic
>>to test it, the scientific way to do it would be to treat it as if it had
>>gone bad, while the system is new and you can control what you are
>>loosing, and while you have succeeded to install and doing it again would
>>be almost trivial. A lot of work, but it may be the only way, on the other
>>hand, as you experiment with Beta OS's you learn to put trust in Beta
>>drivers.
>>
>> But, if you do have valuable data, a backup strategy would be in order.
>> Perhaps a data partition on a nonRAID'ed disk?
>>

>> Tony. . .
>>

>> "Graystar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> I've got a ASUS A8Vdeluxe running in RAID 1 configuration [mirrored]
>>> with a Beta driver.
>>> That beta driver is the only reason I could get x64 to even function
>>> properly.
>>>
>>> Anyone know of a diagnostic that can verify that the mirror is
>>> functioning correctly?
>>> or would it just not boot if it wasn't?

Graystar

OK.

How about this. Do you know of a DVD movie playing program that works
on x64?
=;o)
Since all the ATI drivers are 32 bit for the MMC, I thought there might be
at least 1 player out there.

Chris H.

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Although, if Charlie has experience with the card, it would be worth
> listening to and maybe investigate a bit further - I am no authority on
> RAID (or anything else?)
>
> It is my experience that drivers are a bit different from other software,
> they seldom "sort-of-work" or almost work, it is all or nothing.
>
> Tony. . .
>

> "Graystar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Yep OK. Though I'm running the XP Pro x64 which is a system distribution
>> OpSys, not a beta.
>>
>> Since the x64 system has few 64 bit drivers out for it, it is expected
>> that some of the drivers would be beta.
>> So far I've only gotten stuck on the non existant/antagonistic support
>> that ATI has for it's AIW 9600 AGP.
>> That also uses a kludged driver.
>> The only other alternative would be to 1) wait for Vista [ugh] or 2) go
>> Linux which would not support the programs I use.
>> Until the market gets it's act together it's just going to be one big CF
>> for awhile.
>>
>> So I suppose I could unplug one of the drives and see if it will boot.
>>
>> "Tony Sperling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>I think that if you were able to install, and the system is running, you
>>>can safely assume that it is functioning. Of course, while this is no
>>>guarantee, each of the different RAID modes will have to be it's own
>>>little system and I would think that in any other event it would have
>>>thrown an error during the installation - I do not know of any diagnostic
>>>to test it, the scientific way to do it would be to treat it as if it had
>>>gone bad, while the system is new and you can control what you are
>>>loosing, and while you have succeeded to install and doing it again would
>>>be almost trivial. A lot of work, but it may be the only way, on the
>>>other hand, as you experiment with Beta OS's you learn to put trust in
>>>Beta drivers.
>>>
>>> But, if you do have valuable data, a backup strategy would be in order.
>>> Perhaps a data partition on a nonRAID'ed disk?
>>>

>>> Tony. . .

Tony Sperling

Sorry no, you migh try the Nero player, as far as I know everything Nero
wise works except the InCD app.

And Quick Time ought to work to I suppose.

Tony. . .

"Graystar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> OK.
>
> How about this. Do you know of a DVD movie playing program that works
> on x64?
> =;o)
> Since all the ATI drivers are 32 bit for the MMC, I thought there might be
> at least 1 player out there.
>
> Chris H.

> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Although, if Charlie has experience with the card, it would be worth
>> listening to and maybe investigate a bit further - I am no authority on
>> RAID (or anything else?)
>>
>> It is my experience that drivers are a bit different from other software,
>> they seldom "sort-of-work" or almost work, it is all or nothing.
>>
>> Tony. . .
>>

>> "Graystar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Yep OK. Though I'm running the XP Pro x64 which is a system
>>> distribution OpSys, not a beta.
>>>
>>> Since the x64 system has few 64 bit drivers out for it, it is expected
>>> that some of the drivers would be beta.
>>> So far I've only gotten stuck on the non existant/antagonistic support
>>> that ATI has for it's AIW 9600 AGP.
>>> That also uses a kludged driver.
>>> The only other alternative would be to 1) wait for Vista [ugh] or 2) go
>>> Linux which would not support the programs I use.
>>> Until the market gets it's act together it's just going to be one big CF
>>> for awhile.
>>>
>>> So I suppose I could unplug one of the drives and see if it will boot.

Colin Barnhorst

The codecs are important also. I use the cole2k media codec pack with
complete success on x64. I believe I just use Media Player.

"Graystar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> OK.
>
> How about this. Do you know of a DVD movie playing program that works
> on x64?
> =;o)
> Since all the ATI drivers are 32 bit for the MMC, I thought there might be
> at least 1 player out there.
>
> Chris H.

> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Although, if Charlie has experience with the card, it would be worth
>> listening to and maybe investigate a bit further - I am no authority on
>> RAID (or anything else?)
>>
>> It is my experience that drivers are a bit different from other software,
>> they seldom "sort-of-work" or almost work, it is all or nothing.
>>
>> Tony. . .
>>

>> "Graystar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Yep OK. Though I'm running the XP Pro x64 which is a system
>>> distribution OpSys, not a beta.
>>>
>>> Since the x64 system has few 64 bit drivers out for it, it is expected
>>> that some of the drivers would be beta.
>>> So far I've only gotten stuck on the non existant/antagonistic support
>>> that ATI has for it's AIW 9600 AGP.
>>> That also uses a kludged driver.
>>> The only other alternative would be to 1) wait for Vista [ugh] or 2) go
>>> Linux which would not support the programs I use.
>>> Until the market gets it's act together it's just going to be one big CF
>>> for awhile.
>>>
>>> So I suppose I could unplug one of the drives and see if it will boot.

Jane Colman

Media Player 10 in use here....codecs from k lite mega codec pack
http://www.codecguide.com/download_mega.htm

--
Jane, not plain 64bit enabled
Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation.