Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Premature Piece of Garbage

Premature Piece of Garbage

Marshalx

yes i like that phrase i just saw someone use !!
i bought an Acer 64bit laptop, thinking it safer to let them sort out
integration problems,
since id already tried 9 versions of Linux crap, and didnt want to
waste any more time
on supposedly "powerful" avant-garde junk. i was immediately struck
by the whole system being much SLOWER than other 32bit ones; try
Defrag !!! stupid thing takes hours.
They are all Premature, and im quite sure YOU DONT >NEED< THEM,
stick with XP
and just tune that to its best, then u can shut this group down and
wait for the next
HUGE bunch of complaints about Vista XP might suffice for
another 5 years at least.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Didn't do the research huh?
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"Marshalx" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> yes i like that phrase i just saw someone use !!
> i bought an Acer 64bit laptop, thinking it safer to let them sort out
> integration problems,
> since id already tried 9 versions of Linux crap, and didnt want to
> waste any more time
> on supposedly "powerful" avant-garde junk. i was immediately struck
> by the whole system being much SLOWER than other 32bit ones; try
> Defrag !!! stupid thing takes hours.
> They are all Premature, and im quite sure YOU DONT >NEED< THEM,
> stick with XP
> and just tune that to its best, then u can shut this group down and
> wait for the next
> HUGE bunch of complaints about Vista XP might suffice for
> another 5 years at least.

DP

"Marshalx" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> yes i like that phrase i just saw someone use !!
> i bought an Acer 64bit laptop, thinking it safer to let them sort out
> integration problems,
> since id already tried 9 versions of Linux crap, and didnt want to
> waste any more time
> on supposedly "powerful" avant-garde junk. i was immediately struck
> by the whole system being much SLOWER than other 32bit ones; try
> Defrag !!! stupid thing takes hours.

I'm not defending x64 (to each his own). But are you sure it's not the ACER
that's slow?
Have you tried that very same ACER with 32-bit? It could be the computer.

Marshalx

Incidentally i use a Canon multi-function Pixma 780 and there ARE
64bit drivers available for that. Its a nice printer, but will take
you
a day to work out what all the strange symbols on the buttons mean;
why dont they just write in English, and make the buttons BIGGER.

Also the FAX messages are confusing, and Receive will NOT work
with TAM on the same line, - who does not have tam ? naughty Canon
somehow didnt care about that; u need an external fax switch.

the 780 does Not have a card-reader, and its Pictbridge will NOT
accept 4 images 6x4 onto A4 directly for some other "strange" reason,
u have to use software to print that. i also got an HP7310 but last
time i looked there were no 64bit drivers for that yet ? dont really
care,
since we have no NEED to use win64 at all, it was just an experimental
interest that got nowhere - just like Linux.

they all need another 2 years to Mature; but in the end Linux will
become
formidable, since all of China, Russia and India use it, and will
eventually
write all their own drivers, but just how far ahead that is, who
knows.
in the meantime XP will do for just about everything, and every single
device on the market will run on it, so why bother with other systems ?

go out and have a beer, buy a new car, take the dog for a run, but DONT
waste any more time on this group wondering why win64 dont work

Marshalx

my "research" has been done in the "buying and trying" !
and my conclusions are here presented. maybe will save
a lot of you getting frustrated, then you will have a happier life
arent you grateful ?

Marshalx

well it has "the latest and greatest" AMD turion 64 chip, and since
Acer
make half the computers on the planet, so if their engineers cant
figure out how to make it run well, then who are us little MVP to argue
?

ive got /built about 9 computers, 6 using amd64 chips, and NONE of them
are any "better /faster /more powerful" as we all expected 64bit would
be.
Obviously "the 64bit problem" has something deep-seated holding it
back.
conceptually it will succeed in the end, but maybe 2 more years to see
that.

Suse64 still has serious problems with lack of drivers. Mandrake64
was an expensive piece of **** that wouldnt even run at all; and all
Linux
in general have driver problems. the only thing they CAN do well are
the
basics of Web / eMail and Openoffice etc, which is good enough for
most
people, but as soon as you want to connect a few more devices or dL
camera database for your SatNav, then youll decide to go back to XP.

i recently got an HP8173 which i can recommend. it has a nice 17inch
ultra-bright screen, and TWO internal 80gb drives; useful to clone
your
entire system over, if u have a disaster. also uses Turion64, so
could
experiment with Vista one day - if nothing better to do

Dennis Pack x64, IE7B2, O2007B2

Andre:

I agree with you fully about research. My original x64
laptop, Compac R3000z, is currently on campus with my son working flawlessly
except for the modem drivers that he doesn't use. My current x64 laptop,
Compac V2300cto is functioning flawlessly except for the Bluetooth drivers
that I don't use. As of the last time that I checked HP still doesn't have
the drivers. Research, Planetamd64 and newsgroups have been the tools needed
to have both laptops and two 4400x2 towers functioning fully with x64. I can't
afford a Ferrari.

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Didn't do the research huh?
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>
> "Marshalx" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>> yes i like that phrase i just saw someone use !!
>> i bought an Acer 64bit laptop, thinking it safer to let them sort out
>> integration problems,
>> since id already tried 9 versions of Linux crap, and didnt want to
>> waste any more time
>> on supposedly "powerful" avant-garde junk. i was immediately struck
>> by the whole system being much SLOWER than other 32bit ones; try
>> Defrag !!! stupid thing takes hours.
>> They are all Premature, and im quite sure YOU DONT >NEED< THEM,
>> stick with XP
>> and just tune that to its best, then u can shut this group down and
>> wait for the next
>> HUGE bunch of complaints about Vista XP might suffice for
>> another 5 years at least.

Marshalx

Dennis wrote:
>Andre: I agree with you fully about research.

***lick lick, we are the superior race, those others just dont
understand.

>My original x64 working flawlessly
>My current x64 is functioning flawlessly
>both laptops and two towers functioning FULLY

***my my Dennis, what a "flawless" life u lead !!
are you just lucky, or perhaps so much more intelligent
and REALLY know what research is !

i bet you are a christian with a PhD, and have the benevolence of a

PERFECT big daddy in the sky looking after u ?

Dennis Pack x64, IE7B2, O2007B2

Marshalx:

You're WRONG on both assumptions. Remember the definition of
assume. I have no religious motives and if I did they wouldn't belong here.
The only degree that I have is hard work and research. In my current
profession I've been called a grease monkey, technician and consultant. But
if you need a degree I may have one for you. When my wife was alive she
couldn't spell mechanic or technician so anytime she needed to write my
profession she listed me as a car doctor. For me computers are a tool and a
hobby, as with an automobile a computer should function properly to meet
ones needs not expectations. Driver support has been slow to nonexistent for
x64, but the operating system has been very stable.

"Marshalx" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

> Dennis wrote:
>>Andre: I agree with you fully about research.

> ***lick lick, we are the superior race, those others just dont
> understand.
>
>>My original x64 working flawlessly
>>My current x64 is functioning flawlessly
>>both laptops and two towers functioning FULLY

> ***my my Dennis, what a "flawless" life u lead !!
> are you just lucky, or perhaps so much more intelligent
> and REALLY know what research is !
>
> i bet you are a christian with a PhD, and have the benevolence of a
>
> PERFECT big daddy in the sky looking after u ?

Graham

Marshalx wrote:
> Incidentally i use a Canon multi-function Pixma 780 and there ARE
> 64bit drivers available for that. Its a nice printer, but will take
> you
> a day to work out what all the strange symbols on the buttons mean;
> why dont they just write in English, and make the buttons BIGGER.

Er, why did you buy it if you don't like it? Didn't do the research? Oh,
BTW, not everyone reads English.

Sounds like you do a bit too much buy and whine instead of research and
get it right.

Graham.