Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Install failed, may be running safe mode, installer not installed

Install failed, may be running safe mode, installer not installed

=?Utf-8?B?cG1jY3JhY2thbg==?=

Well, at last I have re-installed xp 64, I have not done any Microsoft
updates so far.
The programs I had problems installing last time around went smoothly this
time, ie the HP printer drivers and MS Office 2007 beta.
So that leads me to conclude that the problems were somehow related to the
ms updates that I did.
So, nearly everything that I need works and at this stage there is only one
thing to keep me from using the 64 system full time and thats my palm
handheld. It's where I do all my data entry for calendar and contacts, so I
rather need the synchronization bits to work.
I find it quite good to have 2 browsers, 1 to use for Java / flash sites and
the 64 bit one when I dont want any of that stuff coming through.
Do the ms type handhelds have any syncing function with this 64 bit system?
Cheers, from Peter.

"pmccrackan" wrote:

> Hi, I am running xp pro 64 in a dual boot scenario, (with xp pro) and am just
> seeing how many of my normal programs I can run and use with it.
> My printer is limping along with a temporary driver and I just have basic
> print functions.
> Last night I downloaded a beta printer driver from hp, for my printer
> (psc-1610) and attempted to install it. The install failed with the message
> that I may be running in safe mode or that the Microsoft Installer was not
> installed.
> This is the second time I have received this error message when attempting
> to install something, so it is not something that is soley related to the hp
> beta driver.
> My system is updated according to the Microsoft update site and does not
> require anything. There was no damge done, the install just failed and with a
> reboot I was back up again.
> Just wondering if anyone else has come accross this problem.
> Thanks for any assitance, cheers from Peter.

Dominic Payer

MS PDAs run the Windows Mobile OS and use ActiveSync to synchronise which
runs fine on x64.
See http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/default.mspx .

"pmccrackan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well, at last I have re-installed xp 64, I have not done any Microsoft
> updates so far.
> The programs I had problems installing last time around went smoothly this
> time, ie the HP printer drivers and MS Office 2007 beta.
> So that leads me to conclude that the problems were somehow related to the
> ms updates that I did.
> So, nearly everything that I need works and at this stage there is only
> one
> thing to keep me from using the 64 system full time and thats my palm
> handheld. It's where I do all my data entry for calendar and contacts, so
> rather need the synchronization bits to work.
> I find it quite good to have 2 browsers, 1 to use for Java / flash sites
> and
> the 64 bit one when I dont want any of that stuff coming through.
> Do the ms type handhelds have any syncing function with this 64 bit
> system?
> Cheers, from Peter.
>
> "pmccrackan" wrote:
>
>> Hi, I am running xp pro 64 in a dual boot scenario, (with xp pro) and am
>> just
>> seeing how many of my normal programs I can run and use with it.
>> My printer is limping along with a temporary driver and I just have basic
>> print functions.
>> Last night I downloaded a beta printer driver from hp, for my printer
>> (psc-1610) and attempted to install it. The install failed with the
>> message
>> that I may be running in safe mode or that the Microsoft Installer was
>> not
>> installed.
>> This is the second time I have received this error message when
>> attempting
>> to install something, so it is not something that is soley related to the
>> hp
>> beta driver.
>> My system is updated according to the Microsoft update site and does not
>> require anything. There was no damge done, the install just failed and
>> with a
>> reboot I was back up again.
>> Just wondering if anyone else has come accross this problem.
>> Thanks for any assitance, cheers from Peter.

=?Utf-8?B?cG1jY3JhY2thbg==?=

Well, that's handy then. Perhaps I will start shopping around for another
handheld.
I have downloaded and installed nvidia's 64 bit driver and it is fine, my
sound is a little "tinny" though, but thats no big deal.
Google Earth is good as well.
Cheers from Peter.

"Dominic Payer" wrote:

> MS PDAs run the Windows Mobile OS and use ActiveSync to synchronise which
> runs fine on x64.
> See http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/default.mspx .
>

> "pmccrackan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Well, at last I have re-installed xp 64, I have not done any Microsoft
> > updates so far.
> > The programs I had problems installing last time around went smoothly this
> > time, ie the HP printer drivers and MS Office 2007 beta.
> > So that leads me to conclude that the problems were somehow related to the
> > ms updates that I did.
> > So, nearly everything that I need works and at this stage there is only
> > one
> > thing to keep me from using the 64 system full time and thats my palm
> > handheld. It's where I do all my data entry for calendar and contacts, so
> > rather need the synchronization bits to work.
> > I find it quite good to have 2 browsers, 1 to use for Java / flash sites
> > and
> > the 64 bit one when I dont want any of that stuff coming through.
> > Do the ms type handhelds have any syncing function with this 64 bit
> > system?
> > Cheers, from Peter.
> >
> > "pmccrackan" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi, I am running xp pro 64 in a dual boot scenario, (with xp pro) and am
> >> just
> >> seeing how many of my normal programs I can run and use with it.
> >> My printer is limping along with a temporary driver and I just have basic
> >> print functions.
> >> Last night I downloaded a beta printer driver from hp, for my printer
> >> (psc-1610) and attempted to install it. The install failed with the
> >> message
> >> that I may be running in safe mode or that the Microsoft Installer was
> >> not
> >> installed.
> >> This is the second time I have received this error message when
> >> attempting
> >> to install something, so it is not something that is soley related to the
> >> hp
> >> beta driver.
> >> My system is updated according to the Microsoft update site and does not
> >> require anything. There was no damge done, the install just failed and
> >> with a
> >> reboot I was back up again.
> >> Just wondering if anyone else has come accross this problem.
> >> Thanks for any assitance, cheers from Peter.

=?Utf-8?B?b25lY29hdHNhbQ==?=

I've been getting the same error message (1719) for most of the software I
ran on an old IBM Thinkpad. Even Word was giving me this error message.
Eventually, I ran the Acer tool to return the computer to factory settings
and then reinstalled some old applications, but am still having the problem
when trying to install a printer, Palm 700p, Sony Sonicstage, etc.