Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Install failed, may be running safe mode, installer not installed

Install failed, may be running safe mode, installer not installed

=?Utf-8?B?cG1jY3JhY2thbg==?=

Hi, I am running xp pro 64 in a dual boot scenario, (with xp pro) and am just
seeing how many of my normal programs I can run and use with it.
My printer is limping along with a temporary driver and I just have basic
print functions.
Last night I downloaded a beta printer driver from hp, for my printer
(psc-1610) and attempted to install it. The install failed with the message
that I may be running in safe mode or that the Microsoft Installer was not
installed.
This is the second time I have received this error message when attempting
to install something, so it is not something that is soley related to the hp
beta driver.
My system is updated according to the Microsoft update site and does not
require anything. There was no damge done, the install just failed and with a
reboot I was back up again.
Just wondering if anyone else has come accross this problem.
Thanks for any assitance, cheers from Peter.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Well, its a "beta" driver, possibly be a bug you are encountering. Have
installed the Windows Installer 3.1 redistributable? It might fix this
problem.
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"pmccrackan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, I am running xp pro 64 in a dual boot scenario, (with xp pro) and am
> just
> seeing how many of my normal programs I can run and use with it.
> My printer is limping along with a temporary driver and I just have basic
> print functions.
> Last night I downloaded a beta printer driver from hp, for my printer
> (psc-1610) and attempted to install it. The install failed with the
> message
> that I may be running in safe mode or that the Microsoft Installer was not
> installed.
> This is the second time I have received this error message when attempting
> to install something, so it is not something that is soley related to the
> hp
> beta driver.
> My system is updated according to the Microsoft update site and does not
> require anything. There was no damge done, the install just failed and
> with a
> reboot I was back up again.
> Just wondering if anyone else has come accross this problem.
> Thanks for any assitance, cheers from Peter.

=?Utf-8?B?cG1jY3JhY2thbg==?=

After having done a bit more research, it seems I am looking more
specifically for something to "resolve fatal error 1719". I have installed a
patch from hp that resolves fatal error 1714 but that did nothing for my
problem. I have only had time for a "quick google" and did not find anything
that looked useful. I will have to look in more detail later on.........
things to do etc.
Cheers, Peter.

"Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:

> Well, its a "beta" driver, possibly be a bug you are encountering. Have
> installed the Windows Installer 3.1 redistributable? It might fix this
> problem.
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>
> "pmccrackan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi, I am running xp pro 64 in a dual boot scenario, (with xp pro) and am
> > just
> > seeing how many of my normal programs I can run and use with it.
> > My printer is limping along with a temporary driver and I just have basic
> > print functions.
> > Last night I downloaded a beta printer driver from hp, for my printer
> > (psc-1610) and attempted to install it. The install failed with the
> > message
> > that I may be running in safe mode or that the Microsoft Installer was not
> > installed.
> > This is the second time I have received this error message when attempting
> > to install something, so it is not something that is soley related to the
> > hp
> > beta driver.
> > My system is updated according to the Microsoft update site and does not
> > require anything. There was no damge done, the install just failed and
> > with a
> > reboot I was back up again.
> > Just wondering if anyone else has come accross this problem.
> > Thanks for any assitance, cheers from Peter.

Aaron Kelley

I was able to run the HP beta driver (for use with an HP PSC 2110) without
any problems.

However, I also found that I was able to just point Windows to the extracted
driver files when I plugged in the printer and it installed everything it
needed for the printer to work.

(I'm assuming you're using the HP beta driver x64Drv5.64.0.17.exe --- You
can extract the files from it with a utility like Winzip.)

- Aaron

"pmccrackan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, I am running xp pro 64 in a dual boot scenario, (with xp pro) and am
> just
> seeing how many of my normal programs I can run and use with it.
> My printer is limping along with a temporary driver and I just have basic
> print functions.
> Last night I downloaded a beta printer driver from hp, for my printer
> (psc-1610) and attempted to install it. The install failed with the
> message
> that I may be running in safe mode or that the Microsoft Installer was not
> installed.
> This is the second time I have received this error message when attempting
> to install something, so it is not something that is soley related to the
> hp
> beta driver.
> My system is updated according to the Microsoft update site and does not
> require anything. There was no damge done, the install just failed and
> with a
> reboot I was back up again.
> Just wondering if anyone else has come accross this problem.
> Thanks for any assitance, cheers from Peter.

=?Utf-8?B?cG1jY3JhY2thbg==?=

Okay, thanks Aaron, that did work, now at least when I turn on my printer I
dont have to go and cancel the new hardware detected everytime.
However, the software that goes with the drivers, hp director, scanning etc
would not install, windows could not access the file or something like that.
So I am not yet fully functional, but obviously a lot better off than I was
a few minutes ago.
I will do more research when I have the time to do so, and post any findings
here.
Thanks, regards from Peter.

"Aaron Kelley" wrote:

> I was able to run the HP beta driver (for use with an HP PSC 2110) without
> any problems.
>
> However, I also found that I was able to just point Windows to the extracted
> driver files when I plugged in the printer and it installed everything it
> needed for the printer to work.
>
> (I'm assuming you're using the HP beta driver x64Drv5.64.0.17.exe --- You
> can extract the files from it with a utility like Winzip.)
>
> - Aaron
>
> "pmccrackan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi, I am running xp pro 64 in a dual boot scenario, (with xp pro) and am
> > just
> > seeing how many of my normal programs I can run and use with it.
> > My printer is limping along with a temporary driver and I just have basic
> > print functions.
> > Last night I downloaded a beta printer driver from hp, for my printer
> > (psc-1610) and attempted to install it. The install failed with the
> > message
> > that I may be running in safe mode or that the Microsoft Installer was not
> > installed.
> > This is the second time I have received this error message when attempting
> > to install something, so it is not something that is soley related to the
> > hp
> > beta driver.
> > My system is updated according to the Microsoft update site and does not
> > require anything. There was no damge done, the install just failed and
> > with a
> > reboot I was back up again.
> > Just wondering if anyone else has come accross this problem.
> > Thanks for any assitance, cheers from Peter.

=?Utf-8?B?cG1jY3JhY2thbg==?=

Hmmmmm, I have tried MS Office 2007 beta and got exactly the same message,
that windows may be running in safe mode, or installer is not installed
correctly. Could this be something to do with the updates I did previously?
Or is it something that all beta programs have in common?
I was able to install avast 4.7 for xp pro 64 after the updates with no
problems, so some things can install.
Cheers, from Peter.

"pmccrackan" wrote:

> Okay, thanks Aaron, that did work, now at least when I turn on my printer I
> dont have to go and cancel the new hardware detected everytime.
> However, the software that goes with the drivers, hp director, scanning etc
> would not install, windows could not access the file or something like that.
> So I am not yet fully functional, but obviously a lot better off than I was
> a few minutes ago.
> I will do more research when I have the time to do so, and post any findings
> here.
> Thanks, regards from Peter.
>
> "Aaron Kelley" wrote:
>
> > I was able to run the HP beta driver (for use with an HP PSC 2110) without
> > any problems.
> >
> > However, I also found that I was able to just point Windows to the extracted
> > driver files when I plugged in the printer and it installed everything it
> > needed for the printer to work.
> >
> > (I'm assuming you're using the HP beta driver x64Drv5.64.0.17.exe --- You
> > can extract the files from it with a utility like Winzip.)
> >
> > - Aaron
> >
> > "pmccrackan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Hi, I am running xp pro 64 in a dual boot scenario, (with xp pro) and am
> > > just
> > > seeing how many of my normal programs I can run and use with it.
> > > My printer is limping along with a temporary driver and I just have basic
> > > print functions.
> > > Last night I downloaded a beta printer driver from hp, for my printer
> > > (psc-1610) and attempted to install it. The install failed with the
> > > message
> > > that I may be running in safe mode or that the Microsoft Installer was not
> > > installed.
> > > This is the second time I have received this error message when attempting
> > > to install something, so it is not something that is soley related to the
> > > hp
> > > beta driver.
> > > My system is updated according to the Microsoft update site and does not
> > > require anything. There was no damge done, the install just failed and
> > > with a
> > > reboot I was back up again.
> > > Just wondering if anyone else has come accross this problem.
> > > Thanks for any assitance, cheers from Peter.

Tony Sperling

O.K. - When I installed those drivers a while ago, the process was a bit
involved. You launch the HP installation and after a while 'that one' calls
up the 'Windows Installer' - this, I at least found confusing at first. You
have to let the Windows Installer bit do it's work and finish whatever it is
doing (and it may take a looong time, and the printer has to be turned off!
The installer will tell you when to turn it on!) then after it is done the
HP Installer continues and after it finnishes, you should be up and running.

Now, I wasn't able to get the full functionality from the buttons on the
Printer's Panel, the Scan and Copy functions will be accessible from the
Windows Control Panel applet 'Scanners and Camera's'. I am still running
version 12 of the Pre_Beta drivers since I am having no problems what so
ever and the Printer's output is in every respect excellent. So I cannot
tell if the installer's routines have changed over time, but it certainly
was not intuitive then.

If you want to start over, I recommend you uninstall every trace of the
Printer and disconnect it and re-boot without the printer being there at
all, then fire up the installation and it should all be running smooth.

Confusion included!!!

Tony. . .

"pmccrackan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hmmmmm, I have tried MS Office 2007 beta and got exactly the same message,
> that windows may be running in safe mode, or installer is not installed
> correctly. Could this be something to do with the updates I did
> previously?
> Or is it something that all beta programs have in common?
> I was able to install avast 4.7 for xp pro 64 after the updates with no
> problems, so some things can install.
> Cheers, from Peter.
>
> "pmccrackan" wrote:
>
>> Okay, thanks Aaron, that did work, now at least when I turn on my printer
>> dont have to go and cancel the new hardware detected everytime.
>> However, the software that goes with the drivers, hp director, scanning
>> etc
>> would not install, windows could not access the file or something like
>> that.
>> So I am not yet fully functional, but obviously a lot better off than I
>> was
>> a few minutes ago.
>> I will do more research when I have the time to do so, and post any
>> findings
>> here.
>> Thanks, regards from Peter.
>>
>> "Aaron Kelley" wrote:
>>
>> > I was able to run the HP beta driver (for use with an HP PSC 2110)
>> > without
>> > any problems.
>> >
>> > However, I also found that I was able to just point Windows to the
>> > extracted
>> > driver files when I plugged in the printer and it installed everything
>> > it
>> > needed for the printer to work.
>> >
>> > (I'm assuming you're using the HP beta driver x64Drv5.64.0.17.exe ---
>> > You
>> > can extract the files from it with a utility like Winzip.)
>> >
>> > - Aaron
>> >
>> > "pmccrackan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

=?Utf-8?B?cG1jY3JhY2thbg==?=

Clear as mud! Due to a number of reasons I have decided to wipe the xp pro 64
installation and I will start again from scratch, not sure exactly when
though.
thanks for the assistance.
Cheers from Peter.

"Tony Sperling" wrote:

> O.K. - When I installed those drivers a while ago, the process was a bit
> involved. You launch the HP installation and after a while 'that one' calls
> up the 'Windows Installer' - this, I at least found confusing at first. You
> have to let the Windows Installer bit do it's work and finish whatever it is
> doing (and it may take a looong time, and the printer has to be turned off!
> The installer will tell you when to turn it on!) then after it is done the
> HP Installer continues and after it finnishes, you should be up and running.
>
> Now, I wasn't able to get the full functionality from the buttons on the
> Printer's Panel, the Scan and Copy functions will be accessible from the
> Windows Control Panel applet 'Scanners and Camera's'. I am still running
> version 12 of the Pre_Beta drivers since I am having no problems what so
> ever and the Printer's output is in every respect excellent. So I cannot
> tell if the installer's routines have changed over time, but it certainly
> was not intuitive then.
>
> If you want to start over, I recommend you uninstall every trace of the
> Printer and disconnect it and re-boot without the printer being there at
> all, then fire up the installation and it should all be running smooth.
>
> Confusion included!!!
>

> Tony. . .
>

> "pmccrackan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hmmmmm, I have tried MS Office 2007 beta and got exactly the same message,
> > that windows may be running in safe mode, or installer is not installed
> > correctly. Could this be something to do with the updates I did
> > previously?
> > Or is it something that all beta programs have in common?
> > I was able to install avast 4.7 for xp pro 64 after the updates with no
> > problems, so some things can install.
> > Cheers, from Peter.
> >
> > "pmccrackan" wrote:
> >
> >> Okay, thanks Aaron, that did work, now at least when I turn on my printer
> >> dont have to go and cancel the new hardware detected everytime.
> >> However, the software that goes with the drivers, hp director, scanning
> >> etc
> >> would not install, windows could not access the file or something like
> >> that.
> >> So I am not yet fully functional, but obviously a lot better off than I
> >> was
> >> a few minutes ago.
> >> I will do more research when I have the time to do so, and post any
> >> findings
> >> here.
> >> Thanks, regards from Peter.

Aaron Kelley

If you're getting the problem installing other apps, I think somehow your
Windows Installer got borked up. :-p

I just use WIA for the scanner on my unit, not the HP scanning software.
(In fact, I wish they'd give you the option to just install the basic
drivers and leave the rest of their stuff out!) This may be an option for
you --- If the drivers are installed, the scanner should show up in My
Computer, and also, any program that can scan (TWAIN) should be able to use
WIA.

- Aaron

"pmccrackan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hmmmmm, I have tried MS Office 2007 beta and got exactly the same message,
> that windows may be running in safe mode, or installer is not installed
> correctly. Could this be something to do with the updates I did
> previously?
> Or is it something that all beta programs have in common?
> I was able to install avast 4.7 for xp pro 64 after the updates with no
> problems, so some things can install.
> Cheers, from Peter.
>
> "pmccrackan" wrote:
>
>> Okay, thanks Aaron, that did work, now at least when I turn on my printer
>> dont have to go and cancel the new hardware detected everytime.
>> However, the software that goes with the drivers, hp director, scanning
>> etc
>> would not install, windows could not access the file or something like
>> that.
>> So I am not yet fully functional, but obviously a lot better off than I
>> was
>> a few minutes ago.
>> I will do more research when I have the time to do so, and post any
>> findings
>> here.
>> Thanks, regards from Peter.
>>
>> "Aaron Kelley" wrote:
>>
>> > I was able to run the HP beta driver (for use with an HP PSC 2110)
>> > without
>> > any problems.
>> >
>> > However, I also found that I was able to just point Windows to the
>> > extracted
>> > driver files when I plugged in the printer and it installed everything
>> > it
>> > needed for the printer to work.
>> >
>> > (I'm assuming you're using the HP beta driver x64Drv5.64.0.17.exe ---
>> > You
>> > can extract the files from it with a utility like Winzip.)
>> >
>> > - Aaron
>> >
>> > "pmccrackan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Tony Sperling

Absolutely, clear as mud!

But you may have to expect two installations running on top of each other
all of a sudden.

By the way - you can install the HP 32 bit printer supporting software ( HP
Director and the Image Zone app's) they work fine after the driver is up and
running.

Tony. . .