Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Feeling Lucky. . .

Reply
Thread Tools

Feeling Lucky. . .

 
 
Tony Sperling
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-23-2006
Hi!

I just flashed my BIOS - it's been years since I went through this ordeal.
My machines have mostly been quite well behaved,so have skipped that one.
Now I thought it was about time (4 upgrades at once!), and it was all quite
uneventfull - well, painless, at least. Funny how this simple operation can
muster the adrenaline???


Tony. . .


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Charlie Russel - MVP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-23-2006
Now see, that's something I tend to stay on top of, and I haven't had a
problem in so many years that I no longer get the adrenaline up. OTOH, it
is always a good idea to know where that BIOS reset jumper is on your mobo.


--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ght_for_Me.doc

Tony Sperling wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I just flashed my BIOS - it's been years since I went through this ordeal.
> My machines have mostly been quite well behaved,so have skipped that one.
> Now I thought it was about time (4 upgrades at once!), and it was all
> quite uneventfull - well, painless, at least. Funny how this simple
> operation can muster the adrenaline???
>
>
> Tony. . .



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-23-2006
Tony:
Flashing your mobo's BIOS is one of the most stressing things in the world.
Time seems to freeze while the progress bar slowly advances, waiting for a
lurking power outage.
Don't know why "shrinks" don't mention this issue.
They usually quote losing a job, moving to a new house as topmost causes for
stress.
I'd vote for BIOS flashing first.
Luckily flashing from within Windows is a lotta faster than the floppy thing.
I also flash my DVD and CD drives, way less stressing.
Also flashed successfully my HP iPAQ Pocket PC once.
Oh, man! THAT was adrenaline!
Carlos

"Tony Sperling" wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I just flashed my BIOS - it's been years since I went through this ordeal.
> My machines have mostly been quite well behaved,so have skipped that one.
> Now I thought it was about time (4 upgrades at once!), and it was all quite
> uneventfull - well, painless, at least. Funny how this simple operation can
> muster the adrenaline???
>
>
> Tony. . .
>
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Larry Hodges
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-23-2006
On two separate occasions using SuperMicro mobos, I had to order a new BIOS
chip from them because the flash failed. And resetting the mobo didn't fix
it.


"Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Now see, that's something I tend to stay on top of, and I haven't had a
> problem in so many years that I no longer get the adrenaline up. OTOH, it
> is always a good idea to know where that BIOS reset jumper is on your
> mobo.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
> http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ght_for_Me.doc
>
> Tony Sperling wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I just flashed my BIOS - it's been years since I went through this
>> ordeal.
>> My machines have mostly been quite well behaved,so have skipped that one.
>> Now I thought it was about time (4 upgrades at once!), and it was all
>> quite uneventfull - well, painless, at least. Funny how this simple
>> operation can muster the adrenaline???
>>
>>
>> Tony. . .

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Charlie Russel - MVP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-23-2006
Ouch. Makes my ASUS experience feel a lot better! Maybe I've been spoiled.
But I admit - I always keep a baseline version on a bootable CD that has the
flash utility on it... JIC.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ght_for_Me.doc

Larry Hodges wrote:
> On two separate occasions using SuperMicro mobos, I had to order a new
> BIOS chip from them because the flash failed. And resetting the mobo
> didn't fix it.
>
>
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Now see, that's something I tend to stay on top of, and I haven't had a
>> problem in so many years that I no longer get the adrenaline up. OTOH,
>> it is always a good idea to know where that BIOS reset jumper is on your
>> mobo.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>> http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ght_for_Me.doc
>>
>> Tony Sperling wrote:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> I just flashed my BIOS - it's been years since I went through this
>>> ordeal.
>>> My machines have mostly been quite well behaved,so have skipped that
>>> one. Now I thought it was about time (4 upgrades at once!), and it was
>>> all quite uneventfull - well, painless, at least. Funny how this simple
>>> operation can muster the adrenaline???
>>>
>>>
>>> Tony. . .



 
Reply With Quote
 
Tony Sperling
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-23-2006
To Charlie: Yes, I almost remember that feeling - I must have been one of
the first of a handfull of people here in old DK that flashed anything (
except for the odd exhibitionist ), I was a regular reader of PC Mag. at the
time and knew about ZIF sockets and Flashable chips, two items I desperatly
wanted for my next machine and everywhere I asked about it no-one had ever
heard of the concepts. I then bumped into a fellow that built me a machine
with a Chinese Quantum board fresh with all the new stuff ( 486 DX50), and
it didn't take long before I had found a reason to try that flashing stuff.

At least 6 months then passed before ZIF and Flash became buzzwords here.
But over all, I have to say that I have followed the producers advice not to
fix it if it ain't broke.


To Carlos: Yes, we do understand each other. No question about that.
However doing it from Windows? I just don't know - I think I would feel like
if they turned up one day and began to exchange the entire foundation of the
house with everybody still inside. I know they could probably do it, but I
would quite probably feel a bit 'icky' to.

I never flashed any of my cards, I have been on the look-out for something
but they seem to only issue those fixes when there are serious bugs. The
periferals are often targeted at one-task only, they work or not, did
flashing help you any there?

Personally, I had an unexpected bonus. Some time ago I downloaded the
processor dashboard utility from AMD, it installed allright but didn't
launch protesting that it lacked some support. This update, I noticed
mentioned something about C&Q and when I was up and running again I fired up
the dashboard and it worked right away, funny little thing, the dashboard.
Then I noticed that the CPU temp had fallen by almost ten degrees, which I
understand is meaning that all the time C&Q wasn't working, although Sandra
listed it as active - well, it was set to active in the BIOS of course!

I also tried installing the well known SpeedFan utility once, which also
didn't ever worked for me, I wonder if that is fixed as well? That is next
on the list. Then if temp stays put, maybe I try and jack up the clock just
a notch?


Good day and/or night, all!

Tony. . .





 
Reply With Quote
 
=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-23-2006
Charlie:
BIOS reset jumper just resets BIOS data, not firmware.
So, if the firmware (program) gets screwed up you are in trouble.
Modern BIOSes (ASUS, for example) have a non-writable portion that keeps a
small piece of code available for emergency recovery.
All you'll need is a floppy (non bootable) with a proven working BIOS image.
I think that it is only a matter of placing the floppy in the drive, turning
on the machine and a little of praying.
Carlos
"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> Ouch. Makes my ASUS experience feel a lot better! Maybe I've been spoiled.
> But I admit - I always keep a baseline version on a bootable CD that has the
> flash utility on it... JIC.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
> http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ght_for_Me.doc
>
> Larry Hodges wrote:
> > On two separate occasions using SuperMicro mobos, I had to order a new
> > BIOS chip from them because the flash failed. And resetting the mobo
> > didn't fix it.
> >
> >
> > "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Now see, that's something I tend to stay on top of, and I haven't had a
> >> problem in so many years that I no longer get the adrenaline up. OTOH,
> >> it is always a good idea to know where that BIOS reset jumper is on your
> >> mobo.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Charlie.
> >> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
> >> http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ght_for_Me.doc
> >>
> >> Tony Sperling wrote:
> >>> Hi!
> >>>
> >>> I just flashed my BIOS - it's been years since I went through this
> >>> ordeal.
> >>> My machines have mostly been quite well behaved,so have skipped that
> >>> one. Now I thought it was about time (4 upgrades at once!), and it was
> >>> all quite uneventfull - well, painless, at least. Funny how this simple
> >>> operation can muster the adrenaline???
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> Tony. . .

>
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-23-2006
Tony:
Flashing from within Windows with ASUS utilities is fast and reliable.
Give it a try (at your own risk) and you'll notice a tenfold speed increase
as compared to floppy.
I do it for mobos and CD/DVD burners.
Flashing is useful for burner drives because afther that they recognize more
recordable media as it is released in the market.
That info is included in the release notes of the firmware.
At least ASUS does so.
Carlos
P.S.: Good afternoon on my side
"Tony Sperling" wrote:

> To Charlie: Yes, I almost remember that feeling - I must have been one of
> the first of a handfull of people here in old DK that flashed anything (
> except for the odd exhibitionist ), I was a regular reader of PC Mag. at the
> time and knew about ZIF sockets and Flashable chips, two items I desperatly
> wanted for my next machine and everywhere I asked about it no-one had ever
> heard of the concepts. I then bumped into a fellow that built me a machine
> with a Chinese Quantum board fresh with all the new stuff ( 486 DX50), and
> it didn't take long before I had found a reason to try that flashing stuff.
>
> At least 6 months then passed before ZIF and Flash became buzzwords here.
> But over all, I have to say that I have followed the producers advice not to
> fix it if it ain't broke.
>
>
> To Carlos: Yes, we do understand each other. No question about that.
> However doing it from Windows? I just don't know - I think I would feel like
> if they turned up one day and began to exchange the entire foundation of the
> house with everybody still inside. I know they could probably do it, but I
> would quite probably feel a bit 'icky' to.
>
> I never flashed any of my cards, I have been on the look-out for something
> but they seem to only issue those fixes when there are serious bugs. The
> periferals are often targeted at one-task only, they work or not, did
> flashing help you any there?
>
> Personally, I had an unexpected bonus. Some time ago I downloaded the
> processor dashboard utility from AMD, it installed allright but didn't
> launch protesting that it lacked some support. This update, I noticed
> mentioned something about C&Q and when I was up and running again I fired up
> the dashboard and it worked right away, funny little thing, the dashboard.
> Then I noticed that the CPU temp had fallen by almost ten degrees, which I
> understand is meaning that all the time C&Q wasn't working, although Sandra
> listed it as active - well, it was set to active in the BIOS of course!
>
> I also tried installing the well known SpeedFan utility once, which also
> didn't ever worked for me, I wonder if that is fixed as well? That is next
> on the list. Then if temp stays put, maybe I try and jack up the clock just
> a notch?
>
>
> Good day and/or night, all!
>
> Tony. . .
>
>
>
>
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Tony Sperling
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-23-2006
Now that the AM2 is out, one day I will need to have a new machine and I had
planned on making it an ASUS - it will be so expensive, though, that I'll
need to put it in a safe over night, so I will probably invest in a 939 as a
go-between. No reason that couldn't be an ASUS as well.

Thanks.

Tony. . .


"Carlos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Tony:
> Flashing from within Windows with ASUS utilities is fast and reliable.
> Give it a try (at your own risk) and you'll notice a tenfold speed
> increase
> as compared to floppy.
> I do it for mobos and CD/DVD burners.
> Flashing is useful for burner drives because afther that they recognize
> more
> recordable media as it is released in the market.
> That info is included in the release notes of the firmware.
> At least ASUS does so.
> Carlos
> P.S.: Good afternoon on my side
> "Tony Sperling" wrote:
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Charlie Russel - MVP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-23-2006
correct, it will only reset the data, not recover from a bad image. But that
can still get you out of a lot of problems. And, as you point out, having
the ASUS and other BIOS with a non-writeable portion makes it pretty
straightforward to recover. But frankly, I haven't had to worry about it in
a long time.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ght_for_Me.doc

Carlos wrote:
> Charlie:
> BIOS reset jumper just resets BIOS data, not firmware.
> So, if the firmware (program) gets screwed up you are in trouble.
> Modern BIOSes (ASUS, for example) have a non-writable portion that keeps a
> small piece of code available for emergency recovery.
> All you'll need is a floppy (non bootable) with a proven working BIOS
> image. I think that it is only a matter of placing the floppy in the
> drive, turning on the machine and a little of praying.
> Carlos
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>
>> Ouch. Makes my ASUS experience feel a lot better! Maybe I've been
>> spoiled. But I admit - I always keep a baseline version on a bootable CD
>> that has the flash utility on it... JIC.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>> http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ght_for_Me.doc
>>
>> Larry Hodges wrote:
>>> On two separate occasions using SuperMicro mobos, I had to order a new
>>> BIOS chip from them because the flash failed. And resetting the mobo
>>> didn't fix it.
>>>
>>>
>>> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> message news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>> Now see, that's something I tend to stay on top of, and I haven't had a
>>>> problem in so many years that I no longer get the adrenaline up. OTOH,
>>>> it is always a good idea to know where that BIOS reset jumper is on
>>>> your mobo.
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> Charlie.
>>>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>>> http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ght_for_Me.doc
>>>>
>>>> Tony Sperling wrote:
>>>>> Hi!
>>>>>
>>>>> I just flashed my BIOS - it's been years since I went through this
>>>>> ordeal.
>>>>> My machines have mostly been quite well behaved,so have skipped that
>>>>> one. Now I thought it was about time (4 upgrades at once!), and it was
>>>>> all quite uneventfull - well, painless, at least. Funny how this
>>>>> simple operation can muster the adrenaline???
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Tony. . .



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ItemCommand event not firing from a dynamic user control,feeling puzzled EvelynAnd Ethan ASP .Net 4 01-09-2006 03:12 AM
ItemCommand event not firing from a dynamic user control,feeling puzzled EvelynAnd Ethan ASP .Net 0 10-17-2005 04:00 AM
ItemCommand event not firing from a dynamic user control,feeling puzzled EvelynAnd Ethan ASP .Net 0 10-17-2005 04:00 AM
Every get the feeling..... The Rev \(MCT\) MCSE 19 02-10-2005 12:36 AM
Are you feeling sad and blue? :) LAP Computer Support 3 07-16-2003 06:40 AM



Advertisments