Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > is Vista64 going to support Dos16 programs ?

is Vista64 going to support Dos16 programs ?

Lynn McGuire

is Vista64 going to support Dos16 programs ?

Thanks,
Lynn

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Its safe to say "no". You can use virtual machine environments for legacy
DOS based applications in supported operating systems such as Windows 98.
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"Lynn McGuire" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> is Vista64 going to support Dos16 programs ?
>
> Thanks,
> Lynn

Charlie Russel - MVP

No. This will not change - 64bit Windows does not support 16 bit programs.
Will not ever support 16 bit programs.

That being said, see my blog on virtualization - it's the best workaround I
know, and it gives me what I need for 16 bit apps.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Lynn McGuire wrote:
> is Vista64 going to support Dos16 programs ?
>
> Thanks,
> Lynn

Charlie Russel - MVP

Safe? Oh, yeah. Not now, not ever.

--

Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
> Its safe to say "no". You can use virtual machine environments for legacy
> DOS based applications in supported operating systems such as Windows 98.
> --
>
> "Lynn McGuire" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> is Vista64 going to support Dos16 programs ?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Lynn

Lynn McGuire

> No. This will not change - 64bit Windows does not support 16 bit programs. Will not ever support 16 bit programs.
>
> That being said, see my blog on virtualization - it's the best workaround I know, and it gives me what I need for 16 bit apps.

I read your fine article:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...almachine.mspx
and List is precisely what I want to run. I emailed Vern and he replied that
he is not ever planning on building a Win32 console version. I gather that
List is mostly written in assembly and would have to almost totally rewritten.
Bummer.

Thanks,
Lynn

Charlie Russel - MVP

Yup, I emailed Vern as well, and got the same answer. So I built a little
Win98 VM and I use it whenever I want use List. (I had forgotten about LIST
over the years, and you're original query a year ago reminded me of how
useful it is.)

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"Lynn McGuire" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> No. This will not change - 64bit Windows does not support 16 bit
>> programs. Will not ever support 16 bit programs.
>>
>> That being said, see my blog on virtualization - it's the best workaround
>> I know, and it gives me what I need for 16 bit apps.

> I read your fine article:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...almachine.mspx
> and List is precisely what I want to run. I emailed Vern and he replied
> that
> he is not ever planning on building a Win32 console version. I gather
> that
> List is mostly written in assembly and would have to almost totally
> rewritten.
> Bummer.
>
> Thanks,
> Lynn

Vista64 Locks Up New Dell (!!) =?Utf-8?B?S2V2aW4gSw==?= Windows 64bit 4 02-21-2007 09:01 AM
Vista64 John Barnes Windows 64bit 16 11-18-2006 08:43 PM
About paint under vista64 Kenen Windows 64bit 0 11-17-2006 05:45 AM
XP64 installs but not Vista64 - Help =?Utf-8?B?QnJhZCBELg==?= Windows 64bit 4 09-09-2006 05:48 PM
Win16 and Dos16 programs on x64 Lynn McGuire Windows 64bit 13 12-12-2005 04:41 AM

Advertisments