Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Acronis partioning software

Acronis partioning software

Kue2

I noticed that this software supports win 64.
http://www.acronis.com/
Anyone have any knowledge about this software? Good Or Bad
Anyone using it in win 64?

Charlie Russel - MVP

Good. I've used it for several years (32-bit version) and like it. And have
used it recently with good success in 64-bit version.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Kue2 wrote:
> I noticed that this software supports win 64.
> http://www.acronis.com/
> Anyone have any knowledge about this software? Good Or Bad
> Anyone using it in win 64?

Lawrence E. Oliver

According to the Acornis website, only the True Image 9.1 Workstation &
above works on x64 (unless I'm misreading). Does the Home version work on
x64?

Larry

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Good. I've used it for several years (32-bit version) and like it. And
> have used it recently with good success in 64-bit version.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
> http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ght_for_Me.doc
>
> Kue2 wrote:
>> I noticed that this software supports win 64.
>> http://www.acronis.com/
>> Anyone have any knowledge about this software? Good Or Bad
>> Anyone using it in win 64?

Graham

Lawrence E. Oliver wrote:
> According to the Acornis website, only the True Image 9.1 Workstation &
> above works on x64 (unless I'm misreading). Does the Home version work on
> x64?

Yes. I use it. (I did ask them first though as it isn't particularly
clear on the web site.)

Graham.

Lawrence E. Oliver

Thank You -

Larry

"Graham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Lawrence E. Oliver wrote:
>> According to the Acornis website, only the True Image 9.1 Workstation &
>> above works on x64 (unless I'm misreading). Does the Home version work on
>> x64?

> Yes. I use it. (I did ask them first though as it isn't particularly clear
> on the web site.)
>
> Graham.

=?Utf-8?B?cG1jY3JhY2thbg==?=

Hi, I noticed that on the Acronis blurb as well, supporting 64 bit. Does it
actually make any difference, or is it just a bit of a gimmmick? A link to
explanations would be appreciated if possible. My Partition Magic 8 will
still work on XP Pro 64 when I get it running wont it? Thanks, from Peter.

"Lawrence E. Oliver" wrote:

> Thank You -
>
> Larry
>
> "Graham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Lawrence E. Oliver wrote:
> >> According to the Acornis website, only the True Image 9.1 Workstation &
> >> above works on x64 (unless I'm misreading). Does the Home version work on
> >> x64?

> > Yes. I use it. (I did ask them first though as it isn't particularly clear
> > on the web site.)
> >
> > Graham.

Graham

pmccrackan wrote:
> Hi, I noticed that on the Acronis blurb as well, supporting 64 bit. Does it
> actually make any difference, or is it just a bit of a gimmmick? A link to
> explanations would be appreciated if possible. My Partition Magic 8 will
> still work on XP Pro 64 when I get it running wont it? Thanks, from Peter.

There is no need for 64-bit support if you boot something else to do
your partitioning, for example booting Partition Magic floppies. Same
applies for backups: boot the CD, and you don't need 64-bit support.

If you want to do backups or partitioning from *within* XP x64, then if
the product you use needs a driver, it will need a 64-bit driver. That's
why, for example, Acronis TrueImage 8 can backup XP x64 by booting its
own CD, but not from within XP x64, but TrueImage 9 does supply a 64-bit
driver and can therefore backup from within XP x64.

So, it can be either unnecessary or required!

Graham.

=?Utf-8?B?cG1jY3JhY2thbg==?=

Thanks, I think I have got it. ( I had to read it a few times though!) So if
I installed Partition Magic 8 on my 64 bit system and try to use it I may
have problems, however if I boot from the cd all will be well? Have I
understood correctly?
So as far managing partitions, on the fly as it were (no reboot) I would
need a 64 bit driver, ie: in this case Acronis 64 bit compatible.
Cheers, Peter.

"Graham" wrote:

> pmccrackan wrote:
> > Hi, I noticed that on the Acronis blurb as well, supporting 64 bit. Does it
> > actually make any difference, or is it just a bit of a gimmmick? A link to
> > explanations would be appreciated if possible. My Partition Magic 8 will
> > still work on XP Pro 64 when I get it running wont it? Thanks, from Peter.

> There is no need for 64-bit support if you boot something else to do
> your partitioning, for example booting Partition Magic floppies. Same
> applies for backups: boot the CD, and you don't need 64-bit support.
>
> If you want to do backups or partitioning from *within* XP x64, then if
> the product you use needs a driver, it will need a 64-bit driver. That's
> why, for example, Acronis TrueImage 8 can backup XP x64 by booting its
> own CD, but not from within XP x64, but TrueImage 9 does supply a 64-bit
> driver and can therefore backup from within XP x64.
>
> So, it can be either unnecessary or required!
>
> Graham.

John Barnes

FWIW, I have Partition Magic 8 that was installed on an old system. I have
the old drive in a usb external enclosure. I have had no problems plugging
the drive in and using PM by clicking on the executable. Therefore, I have
not tried to install it on my current system x86 or x64.
"pmccrackan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks, I think I have got it. ( I had to read it a few times though!) So
> if
> I installed Partition Magic 8 on my 64 bit system and try to use it I may
> have problems, however if I boot from the cd all will be well? Have I
> understood correctly?
> So as far managing partitions, on the fly as it were (no reboot) I would
> need a 64 bit driver, ie: in this case Acronis 64 bit compatible.
> Cheers, Peter.
>
> "Graham" wrote:
>
>> pmccrackan wrote:
>> > Hi, I noticed that on the Acronis blurb as well, supporting 64 bit.
>> > Does it
>> > actually make any difference, or is it just a bit of a gimmmick? A link
>> > explanations would be appreciated if possible. My Partition Magic 8
>> > will
>> > still work on XP Pro 64 when I get it running wont it? Thanks, from
>> > Peter.

>> There is no need for 64-bit support if you boot something else to do
>> your partitioning, for example booting Partition Magic floppies. Same
>> applies for backups: boot the CD, and you don't need 64-bit support.
>>
>> If you want to do backups or partitioning from *within* XP x64, then if
>> the product you use needs a driver, it will need a 64-bit driver. That's
>> why, for example, Acronis TrueImage 8 can backup XP x64 by booting its
>> own CD, but not from within XP x64, but TrueImage 9 does supply a 64-bit
>> driver and can therefore backup from within XP x64.
>>
>> So, it can be either unnecessary or required!
>>
>> Graham.

Graham

pmccrackan wrote:
> Thanks, I think I have got it. ( I had to read it a few times though!) So if
> I installed Partition Magic 8 on my 64 bit system and try to use it I may
> have problems, however if I boot from the cd all will be well? Have I
> understood correctly?

Well, there again, it depends!

It may be like iTunes which needs a driver, installs the 32-bit one and
then it doesn't work (you have to get the 64-bit one from the Gear web
site, but next time you update iTunes it screws it up again), or it may
notice there is a problem and refuse to install (Acronis TrueImage 8, at
least the later builds noticed there was a problem anyway).

One thing about the 32-bit drivers though: although they may "install",
as iTunes does, they won't actually *load*, so XP x64 won't (can't) try
to use them and do any damage.

Graham.

partioning made easy? gzidude VHDL 0 02-17-2008 05:28 AM
Xp64 and partioning J L Windows 64bit 6 03-03-2006 03:07 AM
Dell says no & Acronis says maybe sysprep utility ( Re: Anyone use Acronis Drive Image 7.0? Bobby Fischler Computer Support 0 07-24-2004 12:12 AM
partioning new hard drive me Computer Support 3 01-26-2004 06:26 PM

Advertisments