Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > ASUS 8*N-E

ASUS 8*N-E

John [MSFT]

Hi all:

I have an x64 machine built on an ASUS A8N-E mobo and AMD Athlon 3200 64-bit
proc. For some reason the machine will start fine, run for a while, and then
stop responding completely, only recoverable by a reset or power cycle. I do
not see anything in the Event logs and I am at a loss as to what could be
happening. The only thing I can think of is that perhaps some of our updates
for the OS are conflicting with the MOBO drivers, but I cannot keep the
thing running long enough to flash the BIOS!

Has anyone else seen these issues with this MOBO?

Thanks.

--
John [MSFT]

Use of any included script or code samples are subject to the terms
specified at

David R. Norton MVP Shell/User

"John [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all:
>
> I have an x64 machine built on an ASUS A8N-E mobo and AMD Athlon 3200

64-bit
> proc. For some reason the machine will start fine, run for a while, and

then
> stop responding completely, only recoverable by a reset or power cycle. I

do
> not see anything in the Event logs and I am at a loss as to what could be
> happening. The only thing I can think of is that perhaps some of our

updates
> for the OS are conflicting with the MOBO drivers, but I cannot keep the
> thing running long enough to flash the BIOS!

You can flash the BIOS from a DOS floppy disk on many motherboards, check to
see if that'll work for you.

> Has anyone else seen these issues with this MOBO?

I don't think your problems are related to that particular board (but that's
only a guess), try starting in safe mode and see if it will freeze after
awhile...

Charlie Russel - MVP

the usual troubleshooting steps. test your memory thoroughly. disable any
overclocking. remove any un-needed devices, especially USB. verify cables
are seated correctly. run the ASUS PCProbe to identify thermal problems.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

John [MSFT] wrote:
> Hi all:
>
> I have an x64 machine built on an ASUS A8N-E mobo and AMD Athlon 3200
> 64-bit proc. For some reason the machine will start fine, run for a
> while, and then stop responding completely, only recoverable by a reset
> or power cycle. I do not see anything in the Event logs and I am at a
> loss as to what could be happening. The only thing I can think of is that
> perhaps some of our updates for the OS are conflicting with the MOBO
> drivers, but I cannot keep the thing running long enough to flash the
> BIOS!
> Has anyone else seen these issues with this MOBO?
>
> Thanks.

John [MSFT]

Did all that. There are no devices attached to this %#$# thing. Cables are
fine. Strangest thing is this jsut strated recently...

--
John [MSFT]

Use of any included script or code samples are subject to the terms
specified at
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> the usual troubleshooting steps. test your memory thoroughly. disable any
> overclocking. remove any un-needed devices, especially USB. verify cables
> are seated correctly. run the ASUS PCProbe to identify thermal problems.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
> http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ght_for_Me.doc
>
> John [MSFT] wrote:
>> Hi all:
>>
>> I have an x64 machine built on an ASUS A8N-E mobo and AMD Athlon 3200
>> 64-bit proc. For some reason the machine will start fine, run for a
>> while, and then stop responding completely, only recoverable by a reset
>> or power cycle. I do not see anything in the Event logs and I am at a
>> loss as to what could be happening. The only thing I can think of is that
>> perhaps some of our updates for the OS are conflicting with the MOBO
>> drivers, but I cannot keep the thing running long enough to flash the
>> BIOS!
>> Has anyone else seen these issues with this MOBO?
>>
>> Thanks.

Dennis Pack x64, IE7B2

John:

I've been using the same mother board with 2 4400x2 towers
without any concerns. I agree with Charlie fully about using Asus-probe.
Also don't overlook the power supply or ram.

"John [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Did all that. There are no devices attached to this %#$# thing. Cables are
> fine. Strangest thing is this jsut strated recently...
>
> --
> John [MSFT]

> rights.
> Use of any included script or code samples are subject to the terms
> specified at
> http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm.
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> the usual troubleshooting steps. test your memory thoroughly. disable any
>> overclocking. remove any un-needed devices, especially USB. verify cables
>> are seated correctly. run the ASUS PCProbe to identify thermal problems.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>> http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ght_for_Me.doc
>>
>> John [MSFT] wrote:
>>> Hi all:
>>>
>>> I have an x64 machine built on an ASUS A8N-E mobo and AMD Athlon 3200
>>> 64-bit proc. For some reason the machine will start fine, run for a
>>> while, and then stop responding completely, only recoverable by a reset
>>> or power cycle. I do not see anything in the Event logs and I am at a
>>> loss as to what could be happening. The only thing I can think of is
>>> that
>>> perhaps some of our updates for the OS are conflicting with the MOBO
>>> drivers, but I cannot keep the thing running long enough to flash the
>>> BIOS!
>>> Has anyone else seen these issues with this MOBO?
>>>
>>> Thanks.

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

Yeah, I was about to mention that.
Borrow, buy (or steal) spare ram memory sticks and a trusty power supply.
Sounds like a hardware issue to me.
Carlos

"Dennis Pack x64, IE7B2" wrote:

> John:
>
> I've been using the same mother board with 2 4400x2 towers
> without any concerns. I agree with Charlie fully about using Asus-probe.
> Also don't overlook the power supply or ram.
>

> "John [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Did all that. There are no devices attached to this %#$# thing. Cables are
> > fine. Strangest thing is this jsut strated recently...
> >
> > --
> > John [MSFT]

> > rights.
> > Use of any included script or code samples are subject to the terms
> > specified at
> > http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm.
> > "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> the usual troubleshooting steps. test your memory thoroughly. disable any
> >> overclocking. remove any un-needed devices, especially USB. verify cables
> >> are seated correctly. run the ASUS PCProbe to identify thermal problems.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Charlie.
> >> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
> >> http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ght_for_Me.doc

Tom Ferguson

Mine is working OK with all available upgrades with XP Pro SP2, XP Pro
64, and the latest 32 and 64 bit Vista builds. It has the latest BIOS
(now at 1013).

Possibly overheating chipset but that problem usually takes a few minutes
to crash the system. (I had an overheating problem with my A8V-E. That
took 20-30 minutes to crash it. The chipset fan failed-there was a recall
on it.) Take off the case side panel, make sure there is
as-free-as-possible air flow in the case given all the cables, &c. Try
running for a while with the case open to see if that has any influence
on the timing.

If driver conflict, I would expect the system to simply crash and fail to
start in regular mode while possibly starting and running OK in safe
mode. Regardless, do a repair install and try it.

All that said, let me add that I am no expert in hardware and have been
shown more often unknowledgeable than learned.

Tom
MSMVP
Windows Shell/User

:
: I have an x64 machine built on an ASUS A8N-E mobo and AMD Athlon 3200
64-bit
: proc. For some reason the machine will start fine, run for a while, and
then
: stop responding completely, only recoverable by a reset or power cycle.
I do
: not see anything in the Event logs and I am at a loss as to what could
be
: happening. The only thing I can think of is that perhaps some of our
updates
: for the OS are conflicting with the MOBO drivers, but I cannot keep the
: thing running long enough to flash the BIOS!
:
: Has anyone else seen these issues with this MOBO?
:
: Thanks.
:
: --
: John [MSFT]
:
: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights.
: Use of any included script or code samples are subject to the terms
: specified at
: http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm.
:
:

Norman Diamond

Two suggestions:

1. I recently had occasion to learn (not with an ASUS product though) that
if you're doing BIOS flashing then you should only have one stick of RAM on
board at the time. You want to test that configuration with that RAM stick
before doing the flashing. Ordinarily additional RAM sticks are good, but
in this situation they're just additional possible points of failure.

2. Although I really like the way ASUS's utilities run under x64, it might
still be safer to install a 32-bit OS onto a small disk drive and do the
flashing under that environment.

"John [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all:
>
> I have an x64 machine built on an ASUS A8N-E mobo and AMD Athlon 3200
> 64-bit proc. For some reason the machine will start fine, run for a while,
> and then stop responding completely, only recoverable by a reset or power
> cycle. I do not see anything in the Event logs and I am at a loss as to
> what could be happening. The only thing I can think of is that perhaps
> some of our updates for the OS are conflicting with the MOBO drivers, but
> I cannot keep the thing running long enough to flash the BIOS!
>
> Has anyone else seen these issues with this MOBO?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> John [MSFT]

> rights.
> Use of any included script or code samples are subject to the terms
> specified at
> http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm.

John Barnes

I agree it sounds like hardware and motherboards do fail. I am on the third
chipset fan on mine in 18 months. Wish the premium version had been
available when I bought mine.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yeah, I was about to mention that.
> Borrow, buy (or steal) spare ram memory sticks and a trusty power supply.
> Sounds like a hardware issue to me.
> Carlos
>
> "Dennis Pack x64, IE7B2" wrote:
>
>> John:
>>
>> I've been using the same mother board with 2 4400x2 towers
>> without any concerns. I agree with Charlie fully about using Asus-probe.
>> Also don't overlook the power supply or ram.
>>

>> "John [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Did all that. There are no devices attached to this %#$# thing. Cables
>> > are
>> > fine. Strangest thing is this jsut strated recently...
>> >
>> > --
>> > John [MSFT]

>> > rights.
>> > Use of any included script or code samples are subject to the terms
>> > specified at
>> > http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm.
>> > "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> > message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

John [MSFT]

Hi all:

Thanks for the all the responses. One of you was kind enough to point me to
the nVidia installer v6.69, and I *finally* saw the prompt for the firewall.
I guess maybe my original CD was defective or something. However in an
interesting development I also tried to take a screenshot of the install
window, and the machine did its lockup thing. That's *after* I ran Memtest
all night and had no errors reported. I guess my next step is to start
taking out the RAM sticks and test them one at a time, and also test the RAM
in another MOBO..this HW stuff is *no* fun!

If anyone ahs any other suggestions please let me know.