Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > IE7 and Protected Store in 64-bit Vista

IE7 and Protected Store in 64-bit Vista

cheese__monkey@hotmail.com

Hi folks,

I just installed the Vista 64-bit beta (Feb CTP Build 530 and checked
out the services list, looking for things to turn off for a speed
increase

But I found that the Protected Storage service is disabled by default.
So where does IE7 keep its remembered passwords now? It always used to
be encrypted in the Protected Store - you could see it with Secret
Explorer but there's nothing in there now.

Maybe something to do with the BitLocker feature? Anyone have hard
information, more than guesswork like me?

Cheers, cheese.

George \(Bindar Dundat\)

If you want to use Vista then get ready for a complete re-education in using
Windows. It does not resemble XP or other versions of Windows except
superficially. You will also learn that customization for speed increase is not
an easy thing to accomplish in many areas.

--
George (Bindar Dundat©)
http://dundats.mvps.org
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
| Hi folks,
|
| I just installed the Vista 64-bit beta (Feb CTP Build 530 and checked
| out the services list, looking for things to turn off for a speed
| increase
|
| But I found that the Protected Storage service is disabled by default.
| So where does IE7 keep its remembered passwords now? It always used to
| be encrypted in the Protected Store - you could see it with Secret
| Explorer but there's nothing in there now.
|
| Maybe something to do with the BitLocker feature? Anyone have hard
| information, more than guesswork like me?
|
| Cheers, cheese.

Charlie Russel - MVP

Doesn't have anything to do with bitlocker. That's a not on all, or even
most, SKUs.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

> Hi folks,
>
> I just installed the Vista 64-bit beta (Feb CTP Build 530 and checked
> out the services list, looking for things to turn off for a speed
> increase
>
> But I found that the Protected Storage service is disabled by default.
> So where does IE7 keep its remembered passwords now? It always used to
> be encrypted in the Protected Store - you could see it with Secret
> Explorer but there's nothing in there now.
>
> Maybe something to do with the BitLocker feature? Anyone have hard
> information, more than guesswork like me?
>
> Cheers, cheese.

PA Bear

Please post your IE7/Vista queries to this newsgroup:
microsoft.beta.longhorn.ie
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), Aumha.org VSOP, DTS-L.org

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I just installed the Vista 64-bit beta (Feb CTP Build 530 and checked
> out the services list, looking for things to turn off for a speed
> increase
>
> But I found that the Protected Storage service is disabled by default.
> So where does IE7 keep its remembered passwords now? It always used to
> be encrypted in the Protected Store - you could see it with Secret
> Explorer but there's nothing in there now.
>
> Maybe something to do with the BitLocker feature? Anyone have hard
> information, more than guesswork like me?
>
> Cheers, cheese.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Bitlocker deals with hardware encryption and your hardware has to meet the
TPM 1.2 requirements.
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi folks,
>
> I just installed the Vista 64-bit beta (Feb CTP Build 530 and checked
> out the services list, looking for things to turn off for a speed
> increase
>
> But I found that the Protected Storage service is disabled by default.
> So where does IE7 keep its remembered passwords now? It always used to
> be encrypted in the Protected Store - you could see it with Secret
> Explorer but there's nothing in there now.
>
> Maybe something to do with the BitLocker feature? Anyone have hard
> information, more than guesswork like me?
>
> Cheers, cheese.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Its in Ultimate and Enterprise.
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Doesn't have anything to do with bitlocker. That's a not on all, or even
> most, SKUs.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I just installed the Vista 64-bit beta (Feb CTP Build 530 and checked
>> out the services list, looking for things to turn off for a speed
>> increase
>>
>> But I found that the Protected Storage service is disabled by default.
>> So where does IE7 keep its remembered passwords now? It always used to
>> be encrypted in the Protected Store - you could see it with Secret
>> Explorer but there's nothing in there now.
>>
>> Maybe something to do with the BitLocker feature? Anyone have hard
>> information, more than guesswork like me?
>>
>> Cheers, cheese.

Charlie Russel - MVP

correct. _as it stands now_. Given that we're still a ways away...

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
> Its in Ultimate and Enterprise.

> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Doesn't have anything to do with bitlocker. That's a not on all, or even
>> most, SKUs.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>> Hi folks,
>>>
>>> I just installed the Vista 64-bit beta (Feb CTP Build 530 and checked
>>> out the services list, looking for things to turn off for a speed
>>> increase
>>>
>>> But I found that the Protected Storage service is disabled by default.
>>> So where does IE7 keep its remembered passwords now? It always used to
>>> be encrypted in the Protected Store - you could see it with Secret
>>> Explorer but there's nothing in there now.
>>>
>>> Maybe something to do with the BitLocker feature? Anyone have hard
>>> information, more than guesswork like me?
>>>
>>> Cheers, cheese.

Kevin John Panzke

He may NOT be a Microsoft Beta Tester, considering the fact that Build 5308
CTP is also available to MSDN Subscriber's (OS Level and Higher), and Build
5308 CTP is also available to Tech Net Plus Subscriber's as well. You
should instead direct him to go to Microsoft.Public.Windows.Vista.General,
just FYI.

"PA Bear" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Please post your IE7/Vista queries to this newsgroup:
> microsoft.beta.longhorn.ie
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), Aumha.org VSOP, DTS-L.org
>
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I just installed the Vista 64-bit beta (Feb CTP Build 530 and checked
>> out the services list, looking for things to turn off for a speed
>> increase
>>
>> But I found that the Protected Storage service is disabled by default.
>> So where does IE7 keep its remembered passwords now? It always used to
>> be encrypted in the Protected Store - you could see it with Secret
>> Explorer but there's nothing in there now.
>>
>> Maybe something to do with the BitLocker feature? Anyone have hard
>> information, more than guesswork like me?
>>
>> Cheers, cheese.

cheese__monkey@hotmail.com

Correct - I'm not a beta tester, but I have an MSDN subscription.
I'll try on the Vista newsgroup, thanks guys.

In reponse to George: "It does not resemble XP or other versions of
Windows except
superficially." - actually very little appears to have changed from XP
even "under the hood". Sure there are new features and better user
privilege management, but essentially its the same basic structure
we've had since NT5. Which is good news for developers like me! I've
had no problems so far porting my kernel drivers to Vista 64bit.