Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > News: Windows Vista System Requirements

News: Windows Vista System Requirements

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Quote:
As they prepare for the arrival of Windows VistaT, customers shopping for
new PCs or upgrading their hardware now have more comprehensive guidance to
aid them in their decisions. Today, Microsoft Corp. announced the launch of
the Windows Vista "Get Ready" Web site, the worldwide availability of
Windows Vista Capable PCs, the upcoming availability of Premium Ready PCs
and the availability of the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor beta.
"Customers have many options and choices to make when it comes to buying a
PC today. A wide range of form factors, price points and new technologies
figure into their decisions," said Mike Sievert, corporate vice president of
Windows® Product Management and Marketing at Microsoft. "With that in mind,
Microsoft and OEMs are making it easier to prepare for the arrival of
Windows Vista. Customers now have the information they need to get a great
Windows XP-based PC today that will deliver rich Windows Vista experiences
tomorrow."

Read the rest here:
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/p...etReadyPR.mspx

Get Ready website:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvist...y/capable.mspx

It seems very fair to me.

--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

Jud Hendrix

On Thu, 18 May 2006 10:34:50 -0700, "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Read the rest here:

Does the article say "wait with your purchase until Vista is released,
because by that time you get more buck for the money"?

jud

John John

I have not tried Vista but I just have to wonder...

How much more expensive will the "Aero" Vista Premium be? What will it
include other than fancy "eye candy" over the other editions? After
paying that much more for fancy visual effect how many people will
simply turn the visual effects off, thus flushing money down the drain?

How many people simply turn off all the XP visual effects and run the
Classic Desktop to have more power to run the applications? Most of the
XP installations that I have done for friends and neighbours ended up
without fancy visuals because the users accustomed to the older Windows
simply hate the XP "Luna" look or they notice how much of a drag these
visuals have on other applications. Let's be honest, how many of the
most seasoned and knowledgeable users turn off these fancy features?

From the site Andre pointed us to I read:

A Windows Vista Premium Ready PC includes at least:

* 1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor1.
* 1 GB of system memory.
* A graphics processor that runs Windows Aero2.
* 128 MB of graphics memory.

Not to bitch and complain but I doubt that I would want 1 GB Ram and all
the graphics memory to be used just so Windows can look pretty. There
is not just Windows in the picture, along with these new computers with
tons of memory, fast multi-core cpu's and super expensive video cards
will come games and applications to make use of it all. I don't need
Windows to take what the applications want or need. I want my
applications to scream and Windows to do what it's supposed to do even
faster and better without crashing! Looking pretty is for other things...

Since Windows 95 haven't we all, or haven't most of use been engaged in
a tweaking quest to make Windows faster and more robust, a simple search
on the internet will yield thousands of sites with information and
suggestions on how to disable non necessary Windows "features". And
ever since Windows 95, each and every new Windows release brings forth
more fluff to disable and tweak and a whole pile of new websites devoted
to the "eternal quest" of making Windows faster. Vista will sure lead
to many more such "tweaking" sites, a new height in pc "fluff".

John

Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:

> Quote: As they prepare for the arrival of Windows VistaT, customers
> shopping for new PCs or upgrading their hardware now have more
> comprehensive guidance to aid them in their decisions. Today,
> Microsoft Corp. announced the launch of the Windows Vista "Get Ready"
> Web site, the worldwide availability of Windows Vista Capable PCs,
> the upcoming availability of Premium Ready PCs and the availability
> of the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor beta. "Customers have many
> options and choices to make when it comes to buying a PC today. A
> wide range of form factors, price points and new technologies figure
> into their decisions," said Mike Sievert, corporate vice president of
> Windows® Product Management and Marketing at Microsoft. "With that
> in mind, Microsoft and OEMs are making it easier to prepare for the
> arrival of Windows Vista. Customers now have the information they
> need to get a great Windows XP-based PC today that will deliver rich
> Windows Vista experiences tomorrow."
>
> Read the rest here:
> http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/p...etReadyPR.mspx
>

> Get Ready website:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvist...y/capable.mspx
>
> It seems very fair to me.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

No, the 1GB of RAM is a realistic estimate if you plan to run Windows Vista
in addition to additional applications on that system. The visual effects
such Aero do serve a purpose, providing smoother video, thats not jaggy,
also, its easier on the eyes and its just beautiful. What purpose does Aqua
serve in OS X?
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
"John John" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
>> shopping for new PCs or upgrading their hardware now have more
>> comprehensive guidance to aid them in their decisions. Today,
>> Microsoft Corp. announced the launch of the Windows Vista "Get Ready"
>> Web site, the worldwide availability of Windows Vista Capable PCs,
>> the upcoming availability of Premium Ready PCs and the availability
>> of the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor beta. "Customers have many
>> options and choices to make when it comes to buying a PC today. A
>> wide range of form factors, price points and new technologies figure
>> into their decisions," said Mike Sievert, corporate vice president of
>> Windows® Product Management and Marketing at Microsoft. "With that
>> in mind, Microsoft and OEMs are making it easier to prepare for the
>> arrival of Windows Vista. Customers now have the information they
>> need to get a great Windows XP-based PC today that will deliver rich

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

For businesses its a great guideline, since they don't upgrade on a regular
basis as consumers, it will give them the appropriate information make the
right decisions about upgrading existing systems to meet the needs for Vista
and make the right decision when placing future purchases.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
"Jud Hendrix" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 18 May 2006 10:34:50 -0700, "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Read the rest here:

> Does the article say "wait with your purchase until Vista is released,
> because by that time you get more buck for the money"?
>
> jud
>
> Inviato da X-Privat.Org - Registrazione gratuita
> http://www.x-privat.org/join.php

Homer J. Simpson

> No, the 1GB of RAM is a realistic estimate if you plan to run Windows
> Vista in addition to additional applications on that system.

1GB is my personal minimum for XP today. It *works* with 512MB, but you
expect plenty of hard disk swapping if you're going to launch more than one
instance of IE and you're the type who prefers to leave Outlook running in
the background rather than launch it and shut it down 20 times a day. 1GB
leaves it snappy and responsive 90% of the time.

At least the way *I* use it.

DP

Hmmm.....

I guess the installer doesn't recognize x64. It says I need to have XP or
Vista running before the installer will install the Vista advisor program.
Anyone else run into this?

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Quote:
> As they prepare for the arrival of Windows VistaT, customers shopping for
> new PCs or upgrading their hardware now have more comprehensive guidance
> aid them in their decisions. Today, Microsoft Corp. announced the launch
> of
> the Windows Vista "Get Ready" Web site, the worldwide availability of
> Windows Vista Capable PCs, the upcoming availability of Premium Ready PCs
> and the availability of the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor beta.
> "Customers have many options and choices to make when it comes to buying a
> PC today. A wide range of form factors, price points and new technologies
> figure into their decisions," said Mike Sievert, corporate vice president
> of
> Windows® Product Management and Marketing at Microsoft. "With that in
> mind,
> Microsoft and OEMs are making it easier to prepare for the arrival of
> Windows Vista. Customers now have the information they need to get a great
> Windows XP-based PC today that will deliver rich Windows Vista experiences
> tomorrow."
>
> Read the rest here:
> http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/p...etReadyPR.mspx
>
> Get Ready website:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvist...y/capable.mspx
>
> It seems very fair to me.
>
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

Jane Colman

That may be because the tool is intended to verify if someone currently
running XP can upgrade to Vista. XP x64 is *not actually* XP...it's Windows
Server 2003 codebase

--
Jane, not plain 64bit enabled
Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation.
"DP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hmmm.....
>
> I guess the installer doesn't recognize x64. It says I need to have XP or
> Vista running before the installer will install the Vista advisor program.
> Anyone else run into this?

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Quote:
>> As they prepare for the arrival of Windows VistaT, customers shopping for
>> new PCs or upgrading their hardware now have more comprehensive guidance
>> aid them in their decisions. Today, Microsoft Corp. announced the launch
>> of
>> the Windows Vista "Get Ready" Web site, the worldwide availability of
>> Windows Vista Capable PCs, the upcoming availability of Premium Ready PCs
>> and the availability of the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor beta.
>> "Customers have many options and choices to make when it comes to buying
>> PC today. A wide range of form factors, price points and new technologies
>> figure into their decisions," said Mike Sievert, corporate vice president
>> of
>> Windows® Product Management and Marketing at Microsoft. "With that in
>> mind,
>> Microsoft and OEMs are making it easier to prepare for the arrival of
>> Windows Vista. Customers now have the information they need to get a
>> great
>> Windows XP-based PC today that will deliver rich Windows Vista
>> experiences
>> tomorrow."
>>
>> Read the rest here:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/p...etReadyPR.mspx
>>
>> Get Ready website:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvist...y/capable.mspx
>>
>> It seems very fair to me.
>>
>> --
>> Andre
>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

Aaron Kelley

Yes, this is a tool to determine XP -> Vista upgrade potential.
They released a similar tool for Win98/ME/NT/2000 -> XP called the "Windows
XP Upgrade Advisor" back when Windows XP was coming. It's also included on
the Windows XP install CD.

Also...
Windows XP x64 -> Vista x64 upgrade will not be supported.
We probably won't see a 64-bit upgrade advisor.

- Aaron

"Jane Colman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> That may be because the tool is intended to verify if someone currently
> running XP can upgrade to Vista. XP x64 is *not actually* XP...it's
> Windows Server 2003 codebase
>
> --
> Jane, not plain 64bit enabled
> Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation.
> "DP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hmmm.....
>>
>> I guess the installer doesn't recognize x64. It says I need to have XP or
>> Vista running before the installer will install the Vista advisor
>> program. Anyone else run into this?

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Quote:
>>> As they prepare for the arrival of Windows VistaT, customers shopping
>>> for
>>> new PCs or upgrading their hardware now have more comprehensive guidance
>>> aid them in their decisions. Today, Microsoft Corp. announced the launch
>>> of
>>> the Windows Vista "Get Ready" Web site, the worldwide availability of
>>> Windows Vista Capable PCs, the upcoming availability of Premium Ready
>>> PCs
>>> and the availability of the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor beta.
>>> "Customers have many options and choices to make when it comes to buying
>>> PC today. A wide range of form factors, price points and new
>>> technologies
>>> figure into their decisions," said Mike Sievert, corporate vice
>>> president of
>>> Windows® Product Management and Marketing at Microsoft. "With that in
>>> mind,
>>> Microsoft and OEMs are making it easier to prepare for the arrival of
>>> Windows Vista. Customers now have the information they need to get a
>>> great
>>> Windows XP-based PC today that will deliver rich Windows Vista
>>> experiences
>>> tomorrow."
>>>
>>> Read the rest here:
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/p...etReadyPR.mspx
>>>
>>> Get Ready website:
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvist...y/capable.mspx
>>>
>>> It seems very fair to me.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Andre

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Windows XP x86 is only supported at this time, its still beta, hopefully,
future versions will support addtional platforms.