Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > News: Dual Core AMD Turion

News: Dual Core AMD Turion

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Advanced Micro Devices has gone dual-core across the board with the expected
release of the Turion 64 X2 processors on Wednesday.

The Turion processor was AMD's first major effort to build a processor
designed specifically for notebooks, and it now has two cores, said Matt
Mazzantini, an AMD mobile marketing manager. Notebook makers such as
Hewlett-Packard, Gateway, Acer and others plan to release notebooks with the
chip over the next several weeks, he said.

Read the rest here:
http://news.com.com/AMDs+Turion+gets...l?tag=nefd.top

Well, I guess Intel looks really foolish again, but I'll give them a few
more months until Merom comes out. An AMD Dual Core Turion still does not
mean we will be getting a 64-bit Tablet PC I am afraid.
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

Rick

Patience, Andre, patience. The hardware always comes before the
software. And, as more 64-bit enable CPUs are sold with the OS's to
support them, there will be a more rapid move to 64-bit. Look back at
the moves from 8086 to 80286 to 80386 to 80486. They weren't supported
overnight as soon as they hit the market - it took a few years for
software to be written for, and people to migrate to, the new CPUs. And
so it will be with 64-bit.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
> Advanced Micro Devices has gone dual-core across the board with the expected
> release of the Turion 64 X2 processors on Wednesday.
>
> The Turion processor was AMD's first major effort to build a processor
> designed specifically for notebooks, and it now has two cores, said Matt
> Mazzantini, an AMD mobile marketing manager. Notebook makers such as
> Hewlett-Packard, Gateway, Acer and others plan to release notebooks with the
> chip over the next several weeks, he said.
>
> Read the rest here:
> http://news.com.com/AMDs+Turion+gets...l?tag=nefd.top
>
> Well, I guess Intel looks really foolish again, but I'll give them a few
> more months until Merom comes out. An AMD Dual Core Turion still does not
> mean we will be getting a 64-bit Tablet PC I am afraid.

Homer J. Simpson

> The Turion processor was AMD's first major effort to build a processor
> designed specifically for notebooks, and it now has two cores, said Matt
> Mazzantini, an AMD mobile marketing manager.

Screw dual-cores, I want my laptop batteries to last an entire flight. You
want performance, get a freakin' desktop. It's not like having a dual-core
laptop means I'm gonna be able to do my work in half the time, thus
diminishing the need for the battery to last longer.

At least that's how *I* feel.

Rick

Take shorter flights and the batteries will be adequate!

Homer J. Simpson wrote:
>> The Turion processor was AMD's first major effort to build a processor
>> designed specifically for notebooks, and it now has two cores, said Matt
>> Mazzantini, an AMD mobile marketing manager.

> Screw dual-cores, I want my laptop batteries to last an entire flight. You
> want performance, get a freakin' desktop. It's not like having a dual-core
> laptop means I'm gonna be able to do my work in half the time, thus
> diminishing the need for the battery to last longer.
>

> At least that's how *I* feel.

Barb Bowman

By sheer luck I ran into an AMD person that I know pretty well last
week in Redmond. I'm hoping to get my hands on a prototype <G> that he
said would put the Ferrari in 2nd place. I had Paul Donnelly tell
Charlie so that Charlie wouldn't run me over in a fot of jealousy.

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP

Charlie Russel - MVP

Good battery life is nice, good performance is critical. To each his own.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Homer J. Simpson wrote:
>> The Turion processor was AMD's first major effort to build a processor
>> designed specifically for notebooks, and it now has two cores, said Matt
>> Mazzantini, an AMD mobile marketing manager.

> Screw dual-cores, I want my laptop batteries to last an entire flight. You
> want performance, get a freakin' desktop. It's not like having a
> dual-core laptop means I'm gonna be able to do my work in half the time,
> thus diminishing the need for the battery to last longer.
>

> At least that's how *I* feel.

Charlie Russel - MVP

Yup. And who amongst us scored a new dual core Turion evaluation unit
already? Yup, Barb - the queen of freebies! I guess she figured two Ferraris
weren't enough...

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
> Advanced Micro Devices has gone dual-core across the board with the
> expected release of the Turion 64 X2 processors on Wednesday.
>
> The Turion processor was AMD's first major effort to build a processor
> designed specifically for notebooks, and it now has two cores, said Matt
> Mazzantini, an AMD mobile marketing manager. Notebook makers such as
> Hewlett-Packard, Gateway, Acer and others plan to release notebooks with
> the chip over the next several weeks, he said.
>
> Read the rest here:
> http://news.com.com/AMDs+Turion+gets...l?tag=nefd.top
>
> Well, I guess Intel looks really foolish again, but I'll give them a few
> more months until Merom comes out. An AMD Dual Core Turion still does not
> mean we will be getting a 64-bit Tablet PC I am afraid.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

I know, I know, it makes sense too, XP Tablet PC is still 32 bit so might as
well wait until Vista arrives. But I was at least hoping to see some
trial runs in terms of hardware on the market before Vista 64-bit became
available.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Patience, Andre, patience. The hardware always comes before the software.
> And, as more 64-bit enable CPUs are sold with the OS's to support them,
> there will be a more rapid move to 64-bit. Look back at the moves from
> 8086 to 80286 to 80386 to 80486. They weren't supported overnight as soon
> as they hit the market - it took a few years for software to be written
> for, and people to migrate to, the new CPUs. And so it will be with
> 64-bit.
>

> Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
>> Advanced Micro Devices has gone dual-core across the board with the
>> expected release of the Turion 64 X2 processors on Wednesday.
>>
>> The Turion processor was AMD's first major effort to build a processor
>> designed specifically for notebooks, and it now has two cores, said Matt
>> Mazzantini, an AMD mobile marketing manager. Notebook makers such as
>> Hewlett-Packard, Gateway, Acer and others plan to release notebooks with
>> the chip over the next several weeks, he said.
>>
>> Read the rest here:
>> http://news.com.com/AMDs+Turion+gets...l?tag=nefd.top
>>
>> Well, I guess Intel looks really foolish again, but I'll give them a few
>> more months until Merom comes out. An AMD Dual Core Turion still does not
>> mean we will be getting a 64-bit Tablet PC I am afraid.

Simon Meacham

Homer brings up a very interesting point As you know all processors use
throttling and speed management to conserve power and reduce heat output.

However assuming OS housekeeping tasks can be split over two cores while
using your laptop, and power and heat dissipation being exponential in
nature, it could imply that two cores in low speed mode might consume
proportionally less power that one attempting to perform the same 'work' in
the same time...

Long story short - you might get more battery for your buck with a DC's over
SC... now there's something we should test!

Simon.
Simon Meacham, MCP MBCS
64 bit blog @ http://lxivdigiti.wordpress.com
For email: Remove ".nospam" from end of address.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> The Turion processor was AMD's first major effort to build a processor
>> designed specifically for notebooks, and it now has two cores, said Matt
>> Mazzantini, an AMD mobile marketing manager.

> Screw dual-cores, I want my laptop batteries to last an entire flight.
> You want performance, get a freakin' desktop. It's not like having a
> dual-core laptop means I'm gonna be able to do my work in half the time,
> thus diminishing the need for the battery to last longer.
>

> At least that's how *I* feel.

Barb Bowman

I resemble that remark!

--