Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > WMP11 Official beta - Not for x64 fellowship

WMP11 Official beta - Not for x64 fellowship

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

WMP11 official beta is legally available for download:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...&qstechnology=
The sad part is that it is only available fin XP 32bit flavor.
Will have to check the site regularly and see if x64 users are invited to
the party some day.
The following question may be a little OT but, why the heck is WMP11 for XP
available in arabic, chinese and not in Spanish???
Can't understand MS language priorities.
Carlos

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Thanks Carlos, sorry about the non support for XP x64, maybe at a later
date. Maybe they are using a release strategy similar to IE 7. As for the
language support, I find that strange also, but I have no worries, since I
speak English only.
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> WMP11 official beta is legally available for download:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...&qstechnology=
> The sad part is that it is only available fin XP 32bit flavor.
> Will have to check the site regularly and see if x64 users are invited to
> the party some day.
> The following question may be a little OT but, why the heck is WMP11 for
> XP
> available in arabic, chinese and not in Spanish???
> Can't understand MS language priorities.
> Carlos

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

I also don't have problems with English.
Problem is that if you install OS related programs in English (like WMP) on
top of a Spanish OS you may get some windows with buttons in two languages
Let's hope some day MS puts Spanish second in their priorities.
After all, it is the second biggest minority in the US, ain't it so?
Carlos
"Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:

> Thanks Carlos, sorry about the non support for XP x64, maybe at a later
> date. Maybe they are using a release strategy similar to IE 7. As for the
> language support, I find that strange also, but I have no worries, since I
> speak English only.
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > WMP11 official beta is legally available for download:
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...&qstechnology=
> > The sad part is that it is only available fin XP 32bit flavor.
> > Will have to check the site regularly and see if x64 users are invited to
> > the party some day.
> > The following question may be a little OT but, why the heck is WMP11 for
> > XP
> > available in arabic, chinese and not in Spanish???
> > Can't understand MS language priorities.
> > Carlos

Homer J. Simpson

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...11/readme.aspx

WTF? Required/recommended specs are usually *way* understated, but why on
God's green earth would they recommend 60 GB of disk space and a "video card
with 256MB of RAM or higher"??

Rick

1. When you start downloading video, you use up hard drive space quickly.

2. Recommended video card & RAM will provide support for pleasant
viewing of video.

Homer J. Simpson wrote:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...11/readme.aspx
>
> WTF? Required/recommended specs are usually *way* understated, but why on
> God's green earth would they recommend 60 GB of disk space and a "video card
> with 256MB of RAM or higher"??

Homer J. Simpson

> 1. When you start downloading video, you use up hard drive space quickly.

If that's the case then essentially they pulled that 60GB figure out of
their ass... Why not recommend 100GB? 1TB?

> 2. Recommended video card & RAM will provide support for pleasant viewing
> of video.

I have an ancient ATI Xpert128 (that was headed for the dumpster a few years
back) in one of my boxes that's dedicated to showing DVD content on a
projector. Whether the card has 4MB or "more than 256" is irrelevant, as
far as I'm concerned.

If they're talking about pretty visualizers, that's always one of the first
things I turn off on a new install.

I want to see how MP11 will benefit from a 256MB video card, as opposed,
say, to my "old" 6600GT with only 128MB (which can render HD-WMVs just fine,
thank you very much). Until I can see that, I maintain those specs were
pulled out of someone's ass.

Mark Gillespie

On Wed, 17 May 2006 13:56:01 +0100, Carlos
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> After all, it is the second biggest minority in the US, ain't it so?
> Carlos

Globally, there are more Chinese users... Not sure about Arabic thou.....

Jud Hendrix

On Wed, 17 May 2006 23:03:06 +0100, "Mark Gillespie"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wed, 17 May 2006 13:56:01 +0100, Carlos
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> After all, it is the second biggest minority in the US, ain't it so?
>> Carlos

>Globally, there are more Chinese users... Not sure about Arabic thou....

Most Widely Spoken Languages in the World

Language Approx. number of speakers
1. Chinese (Mandarin) 1,075,000,000
2. English 514,000,000
3. Hindustani 496,000,000
4. Spanish 425,000,000
5. Russian 275,000,000
6. Arabic 256,000,000
7. Bengali 215,000,000
8. Portuguese 194,000,000
9. Malay-Indonesian 176,000,000
10. French 129,000,000

I think the attempt to release the English-version first, is from a
marketing point-of-view totally absurd!

jud

Mark Gillespie

On Wed, 17 May 2006 23:38:21 +0100, Jud Hendrix <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Wed, 17 May 2006 23:03:06 +0100, "Mark Gillespie"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 17 May 2006 13:56:01 +0100, Carlos
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> After all, it is the second biggest minority in the US, ain't it so?
>>> Carlos

>> Globally, there are more Chinese users... Not sure about Arabic
>> thou....

> Most Widely Spoken Languages in the World
>
> Language Approx. number of speakers
> 1. Chinese (Mandarin) 1,075,000,000
> 2. English 514,000,000
> 3. Hindustani 496,000,000
> 4. Spanish 425,000,000
> 5. Russian 275,000,000
> 6. Arabic 256,000,000
> 7. Bengali 215,000,000
> 8. Portuguese 194,000,000
> 9. Malay-Indonesian 176,000,000
> 10. French 129,000,000
>
> I think the attempt to release the English-version first, is from a
> marketing point-of-view totally absurd!
>
> jud

Of course you also have to consider how developed a country or countrie(s)
that speak a particular language are. Whilst Chinese and Hindi speaking
countries may be massive, they are not as developed as English speaking
countries, hance not so many PC users...

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

Therefore I conclude that the second logical choice for a language should be
Spanish.
Carlos