Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > RAM: 2GB to 4GB?

Reply
Thread Tools

RAM: 2GB to 4GB?

 
 
Larry Hodges
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-15-2006
I'm currently running 2gb of Patriot ram stepping at 2-3-2-5. Anybody here
go from 2gb to 4gb? If so, did you notice a speed increase? I know it
would be a waste of money in XP, but I wonder about x64.....?


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Aaron Kelley
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-15-2006
Me! :-p
I upgraded from 2 GB to 4 GB of RAM on my x64 system in January.
There was not a big speed increase, but I often run several VMs at once and
was running into problems with not having enough memory.

It depends what you are using your machine for. If you find yourself often
using more than 2 GB of memory (Performance tab of the Task Manager gives an
indication of how much you are using) then it might help, but I imagine you
are pretty busy with your machine if that is the case.

- Aaron

"Larry Hodges" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm currently running 2gb of Patriot ram stepping at 2-3-2-5. Anybody
> here go from 2gb to 4gb? If so, did you notice a speed increase? I know
> it would be a waste of money in XP, but I wonder about x64.....?
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Aaron Kelley
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-15-2006
It's also worth noting that, depending on your motherboard, your system may
not recognize the full 4 GB. My system only sees 3.25 GB. (My board had a
warning about this in the instruction manual.)

I think there is a recent thread about this in this newsgroup, but I can't
seem to find it at the moment. Anyway, this has to do with the max
addressable memory of a 32-bit system being 4 GB, and other devices needing
addresses within that 4 GB space.

- Aaron

"Aaron Kelley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Me! :-p
> I upgraded from 2 GB to 4 GB of RAM on my x64 system in January.
> There was not a big speed increase, but I often run several VMs at once
> and was running into problems with not having enough memory.
>
> It depends what you are using your machine for. If you find yourself
> often using more than 2 GB of memory (Performance tab of the Task Manager
> gives an indication of how much you are using) then it might help, but I
> imagine you are pretty busy with your machine if that is the case.
>
> - Aaron
>
> "Larry Hodges" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I'm currently running 2gb of Patriot ram stepping at 2-3-2-5. Anybody
>> here go from 2gb to 4gb? If so, did you notice a speed increase? I know
>> it would be a waste of money in XP, but I wonder about x64.....?
>>

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Norman Diamond
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-15-2006
In 32-bit Windows it would be a waste of money to go to 4GB but would be
reasonable to go to 3GB.

In x64 it is meaningful to go to 4GB. Unfortunately there are a lot of
motherboards that are marketed as being capable of 4GB but that really
aren't. Two exceptions are the ASUS SLI Deluxe which several people have
recommended, and Foxconn some model number with NVidia nForce 430 and 6150
chips where 4GB is working for me. I only need it for virtual machines but
I'd guess users of Autocad and a few other programs would benefit from it
too.

"Larry Hodges" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm currently running 2gb of Patriot ram stepping at 2-3-2-5. Anybody
> here go from 2gb to 4gb? If so, did you notice a speed increase? I know
> it would be a waste of money in XP, but I wonder about x64.....?
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Charlie Russel - MVP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-15-2006
What are you doing on your machine? Are you currently RAM starved? An
ordinary machine, doing ordinary things? Probably no difference at all. (And
keep in mind what folks are saying about losing some of that RAM space to
mobo problems.)

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Larry Hodges wrote:
> I'm currently running 2gb of Patriot ram stepping at 2-3-2-5. Anybody
> here go from 2gb to 4gb? If so, did you notice a speed increase? I know
> it would be a waste of money in XP, but I wonder about x64.....?



 
Reply With Quote
 
Larry Hodges
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-15-2006
I regularly have 1.5gb in use according to Task Manager. My Peak today is
1678108k. But I very seldom go over 2gb. Mainly gaming is what is so
demanding. Quake4 pushes 2gb.

I just wondered if the OS would preload certain items if it detected an
abundance of RAM. Which would speed things up of course, not having to call
them off the HD.


"Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:etE0kQ%(E-Mail Removed)...
> What are you doing on your machine? Are you currently RAM starved? An
> ordinary machine, doing ordinary things? Probably no difference at all.
> (And keep in mind what folks are saying about losing some of that RAM
> space to mobo problems.)
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>
> Larry Hodges wrote:
>> I'm currently running 2gb of Patriot ram stepping at 2-3-2-5. Anybody
>> here go from 2gb to 4gb? If so, did you notice a speed increase? I know
>> it would be a waste of money in XP, but I wonder about x64.....?

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Larry Hodges
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-15-2006
Mine sees up to 8gb:
http://abit-usa.com/products/mb/tech...es=1&model=284

"Aaron Kelley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It's also worth noting that, depending on your motherboard, your system
> may not recognize the full 4 GB. My system only sees 3.25 GB. (My board
> had a warning about this in the instruction manual.)
>
> I think there is a recent thread about this in this newsgroup, but I can't
> seem to find it at the moment. Anyway, this has to do with the max
> addressable memory of a 32-bit system being 4 GB, and other devices
> needing addresses within that 4 GB space.
>
> - Aaron
>
> "Aaron Kelley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Me! :-p
>> I upgraded from 2 GB to 4 GB of RAM on my x64 system in January.
>> There was not a big speed increase, but I often run several VMs at once
>> and was running into problems with not having enough memory.
>>
>> It depends what you are using your machine for. If you find yourself
>> often using more than 2 GB of memory (Performance tab of the Task Manager
>> gives an indication of how much you are using) then it might help, but I
>> imagine you are pretty busy with your machine if that is the case.
>>
>> - Aaron
>>
>> "Larry Hodges" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I'm currently running 2gb of Patriot ram stepping at 2-3-2-5. Anybody
>>> here go from 2gb to 4gb? If so, did you notice a speed increase? I
>>> know it would be a waste of money in XP, but I wonder about x64.....?
>>>

>>
>>

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Charlie Russel - MVP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-15-2006
Well, to some extent it might. But a better way to go would be to invest in
one of these new "hybrid" drives, if absolute drive speed is an issue for
you. I expect to see them come down to reasonable levels in a year or two,
but right now they're not, really.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Larry Hodges wrote:
> I regularly have 1.5gb in use according to Task Manager. My Peak today is
> 1678108k. But I very seldom go over 2gb. Mainly gaming is what is so
> demanding. Quake4 pushes 2gb.
>
> I just wondered if the OS would preload certain items if it detected an
> abundance of RAM. Which would speed things up of course, not having to
> call them off the HD.
>
>
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:etE0kQ%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> What are you doing on your machine? Are you currently RAM starved? An
>> ordinary machine, doing ordinary things? Probably no difference at all.
>> (And keep in mind what folks are saying about losing some of that RAM
>> space to mobo problems.)
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>
>> Larry Hodges wrote:
>>> I'm currently running 2gb of Patriot ram stepping at 2-3-2-5. Anybody
>>> here go from 2gb to 4gb? If so, did you notice a speed increase? I
>>> know it would be a waste of money in XP, but I wonder about x64.....?



 
Reply With Quote
 
Simon Meacham
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-15-2006
By default on XP (32 bit or 64 bit) the system will not expand the system
cache (cache things accessed from disk) beyond a small size (10Mb on 32 bit
Windows not sure if it's different for x64) unless you enable System Cache
Mode, which uses all free memory as disk cache minus 4Mb.

By default on Server 2003 (32 bit or 64 bit) System Cache Mode is enabled.

A good article which explains how to do this and what it does is the aptly
titled 'Things to consider before you enable System cache mode in Windows
XP' here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/895932

Caveat user - Your mileage may vary - I typically enable System Cache Mode
on systems with >1Gb RAM and have experienced generally positive results.
It's pretty dependant on your user profile, how many apps you run, and if
those apps share common DLLs/resources, which is generally true for servers.
Gaming may be a client type scenario which would benefit...

Try it out and let me know how you get on.

Cheers
Simon.

--
Simon Meacham, MCP MBCS
64 bit blog @ http://lxivdigiti.wordpress.com
For email: Remove ".nospam" from end of address.
______________________________________________


"Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well, to some extent it might. But a better way to go would be to invest
> in one of these new "hybrid" drives, if absolute drive speed is an issue
> for you. I expect to see them come down to reasonable levels in a year or
> two, but right now they're not, really.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>
> Larry Hodges wrote:
>> I regularly have 1.5gb in use according to Task Manager. My Peak today
>> is
>> 1678108k. But I very seldom go over 2gb. Mainly gaming is what is so
>> demanding. Quake4 pushes 2gb.
>>
>> I just wondered if the OS would preload certain items if it detected an
>> abundance of RAM. Which would speed things up of course, not having to
>> call them off the HD.
>>
>>
>> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:etE0kQ%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> What are you doing on your machine? Are you currently RAM starved? An
>>> ordinary machine, doing ordinary things? Probably no difference at all.
>>> (And keep in mind what folks are saying about losing some of that RAM
>>> space to mobo problems.)
>>>
>>> --
>>> Charlie.
>>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>>
>>> Larry Hodges wrote:
>>>> I'm currently running 2gb of Patriot ram stepping at 2-3-2-5. Anybody
>>>> here go from 2gb to 4gb? If so, did you notice a speed increase? I
>>>> know it would be a waste of money in XP, but I wonder about x64.....?

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Larry Hodges
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-15-2006
Thanks Simon. I did enable it based on your post, and we'll see if I can
notice a difference. I appreciate the input.

-Larry

"Simon Meacham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> By default on XP (32 bit or 64 bit) the system will not expand the system
> cache (cache things accessed from disk) beyond a small size (10Mb on 32
> bit Windows not sure if it's different for x64) unless you enable System
> Cache Mode, which uses all free memory as disk cache minus 4Mb.
>
> By default on Server 2003 (32 bit or 64 bit) System Cache Mode is enabled.
>
> A good article which explains how to do this and what it does is the aptly
> titled 'Things to consider before you enable System cache mode in Windows
> XP' here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/895932
>
> Caveat user - Your mileage may vary - I typically enable System Cache Mode
> on systems with >1Gb RAM and have experienced generally positive results.
> It's pretty dependant on your user profile, how many apps you run, and if
> those apps share common DLLs/resources, which is generally true for
> servers. Gaming may be a client type scenario which would benefit...
>
> Try it out and let me know how you get on.
>
> Cheers
> Simon.
>
> --
> Simon Meacham, MCP MBCS
> 64 bit blog @ http://lxivdigiti.wordpress.com
> For email: Remove ".nospam" from end of address.
> ______________________________________________
>
>
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Well, to some extent it might. But a better way to go would be to invest
>> in one of these new "hybrid" drives, if absolute drive speed is an issue
>> for you. I expect to see them come down to reasonable levels in a year or
>> two, but right now they're not, really.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>
>> Larry Hodges wrote:
>>> I regularly have 1.5gb in use according to Task Manager. My Peak today
>>> is
>>> 1678108k. But I very seldom go over 2gb. Mainly gaming is what is so
>>> demanding. Quake4 pushes 2gb.
>>>
>>> I just wondered if the OS would preload certain items if it detected an
>>> abundance of RAM. Which would speed things up of course, not having to
>>> call them off the HD.
>>>
>>>
>>> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> message
>>> news:etE0kQ%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>> What are you doing on your machine? Are you currently RAM starved? An
>>>> ordinary machine, doing ordinary things? Probably no difference at all.
>>>> (And keep in mind what folks are saying about losing some of that RAM
>>>> space to mobo problems.)
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> Charlie.
>>>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>>>
>>>> Larry Hodges wrote:
>>>>> I'm currently running 2gb of Patriot ram stepping at 2-3-2-5. Anybody
>>>>> here go from 2gb to 4gb? If so, did you notice a speed increase? I
>>>>> know it would be a waste of money in XP, but I wonder about x64.....?

>>
>>

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can't format my 2GB SD card to be 2GB tyler.parke@gmail.com Digital Photography 1 08-21-2006 06:23 PM
RAM - 2gb becomes 4gb becomes 2gb b Computer Support 10 04-27-2006 11:58 PM
OCZ Technology Announces 2GB Dual Channel DDR PC-4000 ... Silverstrand Front Page News 1 09-27-2005 05:40 AM
OCZ Value Pro PC2-4200 2GB Dual Channel Kit @ InsaneTek Silverstrand Front Page News 0 09-21-2005 09:05 PM
Review: SWISSMEMORY™ USB TWISTPRO 2GB Silverstrand Reviews & How-To's 8 07-07-2005 02:49 AM



Advertisments