Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Jet database engine/ASP error in Windows XP 64-bit edition

Jet database engine/ASP error in Windows XP 64-bit edition

SEFL

Hi there,

I tried to set up IIS on my 64-bit box that I just got. I build sites
using Active Server Pages, so I wanted to test out the pages locally
without having to upload them each time.

Anyway, I've got IIS and ASP installed and working correctly, except
that every time I try to open/access a database, I receive the
following error:

ADODB.Connection error '800a0e7a'

Provider cannot be found. It may not be properly installed.

The last line of code in this section throws the error.

set Connect = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
Connect.Provider = "Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;"
Connect.Mode = 3
Connect.Open "Data Source=" & Data_Source

Where Data_Source is a variable containing a DB path that is passed to
a sub to open the database (standard Jet database connection stuff).

>From what I've read on the subject, it appears that Jet database

connections aren't supported within XP 64-bit, but I find that kind of
hard to believe since well...that's all MS-type stuff.

So...I'm assuming I'm doing something wrong, but don't know what.

Any advice? Thanks.

Adam
http://www.searchenginefriendlylayouts.com

Steve Foster [SBS MVP]

SEFL wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>I tried to set up IIS on my 64-bit box that I just got. I build sites
>using Active Server Pages, so I wanted to test out the pages locally
>without having to upload them each time.
>
>Anyway, I've got IIS and ASP installed and working correctly, except
>that every time I try to open/access a database, I receive the
>following error:
>
>ADODB.Connection error '800a0e7a'
>
>Provider cannot be found. It may not be properly installed.
>
>The last line of code in this section throws the error.
>
> set Connect = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
> Connect.Provider = "Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;"
> Connect.Mode = 3
> Connect.Open "Data Source=" & Data_Source
>
>Where Data_Source is a variable containing a DB path that is passed to
>a sub to open the database (standard Jet database connection stuff).
>
>>From what I've read on the subject, it appears that Jet database

>connections aren't supported within XP 64-bit, but I find that kind of
>hard to believe since well...that's all MS-type stuff.
>
>So...I'm assuming I'm doing something wrong, but don't know what.

There is no 64-bit Jet ODBC driver, only 32-bit.

So you need to flip IIS into 32-bit mode.

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=894435

--
Steve Foster [SBS MVP]

SEFL

Thanks, Steve. The one line is exactly what I was after.

You have served me well, kind sir, and I am in your debt.