Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Post Installation Hang

Post Installation Hang

=?Utf-8?B?QmlnU2hvb3Rlcg==?=

After successfully installing XP Pro-64 on my machine I ran into some
trouble. When the install completes, it deletes the files it used to install
like always, and then reboots. So far so good. Except when the machine
tries to load windows it ... reboots. I don't even get to the Logo screen.
If i let it go it will just loop endlessly rebooting at the exact same place
every time. When I try booting in safe mode I get to acpitabl.dat and it
reboots again. Logic would dictate that this is where the problem occurs. I
hope someone here can give me a fix for this. I'd really hate to go back to
32-bit and toss yet more money in the trash.

System Info:

AMD Athlon64 3200+
Gigabyte GA-K8NS
2x1024 GeiL DDR400
2x WD 40g SATA drives in Raid 0 (stripping)

I'd like to make the point that the installer works fine. It takes my
64-bit raid drivers during the install, and when it boots at the half way
point it boots into the drives without issue. Its only when the install is
complete that it fails to load.

Thanks in advance.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Hi,

If you have any devices such as Printers, scanners, external drives or usb
devices attached when XP x64 is booting, remove them and try booting up
again. You might want to check out a recent post by Martin Racette -
Installation Problem, some suggestions were made by Carlos about things you
can do in such a situation.
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"BigShooter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> After successfully installing XP Pro-64 on my machine I ran into some
> trouble. When the install completes, it deletes the files it used to
> install
> like always, and then reboots. So far so good. Except when the machine
> tries to load windows it ... reboots. I don't even get to the Logo
> screen.
> If i let it go it will just loop endlessly rebooting at the exact same
> place
> every time. When I try booting in safe mode I get to acpitabl.dat and it
> reboots again. Logic would dictate that this is where the problem occurs.
> hope someone here can give me a fix for this. I'd really hate to go back
> 32-bit and toss yet more money in the trash.
>
> System Info:
>
> AMD Athlon64 3200+
> Gigabyte GA-K8NS
> 2x1024 GeiL DDR400
> 2x WD 40g SATA drives in Raid 0 (stripping)
>
> I'd like to make the point that the installer works fine. It takes my
> 64-bit raid drivers during the install, and when it boots at the half way
> point it boots into the drives without issue. Its only when the install
> is
> complete that it fails to load.
>
> Thanks in advance.

=?Utf-8?B?QmlnU2hvb3Rlcg==?=

ok I've removed all the cards from the pci slots, unhooked the third sata
storage drive and the problem persists. theres nothing else plugged into the
machine except a keyboard/mouse/monitor so i don't expect that to be the
problem. I've also re-installed again just to be certain, but no joy. The
machine actually hangs with the following error if anyone knows how to
interpret it:

0x0000007b (0xFFFFFADFC8C0F3C0, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000034, 0x0000000000000000,
0x0000000000000000)

"Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> If you have any devices such as Printers, scanners, external drives or usb
> devices attached when XP x64 is booting, remove them and try booting up
> again. You might want to check out a recent post by Martin Racette -
> Installation Problem, some suggestions were made by Carlos about things you
> can do in such a situation.
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>
> "BigShooter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > After successfully installing XP Pro-64 on my machine I ran into some
> > trouble. When the install completes, it deletes the files it used to
> > install
> > like always, and then reboots. So far so good. Except when the machine
> > tries to load windows it ... reboots. I don't even get to the Logo
> > screen.
> > If i let it go it will just loop endlessly rebooting at the exact same
> > place
> > every time. When I try booting in safe mode I get to acpitabl.dat and it
> > reboots again. Logic would dictate that this is where the problem occurs.
> > hope someone here can give me a fix for this. I'd really hate to go back
> > 32-bit and toss yet more money in the trash.
> >
> > System Info:
> >
> > AMD Athlon64 3200+
> > Gigabyte GA-K8NS
> > 2x1024 GeiL DDR400
> > 2x WD 40g SATA drives in Raid 0 (stripping)
> >
> > I'd like to make the point that the installer works fine. It takes my
> > 64-bit raid drivers during the install, and when it boots at the half way
> > point it boots into the drives without issue. Its only when the install
> > is
> > complete that it fails to load.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.

Jane Colman

This *may* help point you in the right direction:

Jane, not plain 64bit enabled
Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation.

Charlie Russel - MVP

0x7b - inaccessible boot device. There can be a number of causes, but the
most common one is a bad F6 driver.

And for some more on the different modes for storage driver load during
setup, and why you care:
http://msmvps.com/xperts64/archive/2.../25/59560.aspx

For more on F6 and loading storage drivers:
http://msmvps.com/xperts64/archive/2.../11/52162.aspx

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

BigShooter wrote:
> ok I've removed all the cards from the pci slots, unhooked the third sata
> storage drive and the problem persists. theres nothing else plugged into
> the machine except a keyboard/mouse/monitor so i don't expect that to be
> the problem. I've also re-installed again just to be certain, but no
> joy. The machine actually hangs with the following error if anyone knows
> how to interpret it:
>
> 0x0000007b (0xFFFFFADFC8C0F3C0, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000034, 0x0000000000000000,
> 0x0000000000000000)
>

> "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> If you have any devices such as Printers, scanners, external drives or
>> usb devices attached when XP x64 is booting, remove them and try booting
>> up again. You might want to check out a recent post by Martin Racette -
>> Installation Problem, some suggestions were made by Carlos about things
>> you can do in such a situation.
>> --
>> --
>> Andre
>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>>
>> "BigShooter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> After successfully installing XP Pro-64 on my machine I ran into some
>>> trouble. When the install completes, it deletes the files it used to
>>> install
>>> like always, and then reboots. So far so good. Except when the machine
>>> tries to load windows it ... reboots. I don't even get to the Logo
>>> screen.
>>> If i let it go it will just loop endlessly rebooting at the exact same
>>> place
>>> every time. When I try booting in safe mode I get to acpitabl.dat and
>>> it reboots again. Logic would dictate that this is where the problem
>>> occurs. I
>>> hope someone here can give me a fix for this. I'd really hate to go
>>> back to
>>> 32-bit and toss yet more money in the trash.
>>>
>>> System Info:
>>>
>>> AMD Athlon64 3200+
>>> Gigabyte GA-K8NS
>>> 2x1024 GeiL DDR400
>>> 2x WD 40g SATA drives in Raid 0 (stripping)
>>>
>>> I'd like to make the point that the installer works fine. It takes my
>>> 64-bit raid drivers during the install, and when it boots at the half
>>> way point it boots into the drives without issue. Its only when the
>>> install is
>>> complete that it fails to load.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.

RonK

Have you set the boot order and priority in the bios settings ?
Are you using the nvidia or sil raid ?
Set the bios boot order accordingly.

Check pages 3 to 10 in the Raid section of the motherboard manual.

"BigShooter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> After successfully installing XP Pro-64 on my machine I ran into some
> trouble. When the install completes, it deletes the files it used to
> install
> like always, and then reboots. So far so good. Except when the machine
> tries to load windows it ... reboots. I don't even get to the Logo
> screen.
> If i let it go it will just loop endlessly rebooting at the exact same
> place
> every time. When I try booting in safe mode I get to acpitabl.dat and it
> reboots again. Logic would dictate that this is where the problem occurs.
> hope someone here can give me a fix for this. I'd really hate to go back
> 32-bit and toss yet more money in the trash.
>
> System Info:
>
> AMD Athlon64 3200+
> Gigabyte GA-K8NS
> 2x1024 GeiL DDR400
> 2x WD 40g SATA drives in Raid 0 (stripping)
>
> I'd like to make the point that the installer works fine. It takes my
> 64-bit raid drivers during the install, and when it boots at the half way
> point it boots into the drives without issue. Its only when the install
> is
> complete that it fails to load.
>
> Thanks in advance.

=?Utf-8?B?QmlnU2hvb3Rlcg==?=

Thanks everyone I got it working. I finally gave up on the onboard raid
chipset. I think you were right about the driver being the problem. I tried
drivers from 3 different sources and had no luck. I ended up using the Sil
raid card instead and was up and running next time around. Unsure why the
nvidia drivers wouldn't take, but at least its working now. Excellent help
everyone. Thank you