Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Hibernation fails (out of the blue)

Reply
Thread Tools

Hibernation fails (out of the blue)

 
 
Martijn Saly
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-09-2006
Hi all,

Well, hibernation has always worked fine, but all of the sudden it errors on
me. If I shutdown normally when I finish typing this message, it'll continue
to hibernate properly afterwards, because I've had this happen before. It
happened a few weeks ago, and now again.

When trying to hibernate, I get a yellow popup in the lower right of the
screen that says the system failed to hibernate, with error code 0xc000009a.

Since hibernation works about 98% of the time, systems specs shouldn't be
relevant, but here goes anyway:

- Athlon64 3000+
- Gigabyte K8N Pro-SLI board (nForce4 SLI chipset)
- 2x 1GB memory (dual channel)
- 74GB 10krpm SATA disk
- 250GB 7200rpm SATA disk
- NEC DVD+/-RW burner
- Radeon X800 XT
- All else onboard

- Windows XP x64 SP1 (of course)
- Pagefile is 1024MB (statically allocated on the boot disk)
- WUP says no updates available
- Latest drivers for everything I can think of

I won't be able to verify any of the suggestions you guys come up with,
because this will be the one time in a few weeks this is going to happen.
Unless of course, my luck has run out. Anyway, if you know what this is,
please share it with me. If not, well, let's hope and pray that someone at
Microsoft reads this and files a proper bug report.

--
Thanks,

Martijn Saly
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Charlie Russel - MVP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-09-2006
Insufficient resources (non-paged pool). (Google is your friend.)

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Martijn Saly wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Well, hibernation has always worked fine, but all of the sudden it errors
> on me. If I shutdown normally when I finish typing this message, it'll
> continue to hibernate properly afterwards, because I've had this happen
> before. It happened a few weeks ago, and now again.
>
> When trying to hibernate, I get a yellow popup in the lower right of the
> screen that says the system failed to hibernate, with error code
> 0xc000009a.
> Since hibernation works about 98% of the time, systems specs shouldn't be
> relevant, but here goes anyway:
>
> - Athlon64 3000+
> - Gigabyte K8N Pro-SLI board (nForce4 SLI chipset)
> - 2x 1GB memory (dual channel)
> - 74GB 10krpm SATA disk
> - 250GB 7200rpm SATA disk
> - NEC DVD+/-RW burner
> - Radeon X800 XT
> - All else onboard
>
> - Windows XP x64 SP1 (of course)
> - Pagefile is 1024MB (statically allocated on the boot disk)
> - WUP says no updates available
> - Latest drivers for everything I can think of
>
> I won't be able to verify any of the suggestions you guys come up with,
> because this will be the one time in a few weeks this is going to happen.
> Unless of course, my luck has run out. Anyway, if you know what this is,
> please share it with me. If not, well, let's hope and pray that someone at
> Microsoft reads this and files a proper bug report.



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Andre Da Costa [Extended64]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-09-2006
Oh Charlie, you are so thoughtful. (GIYF)
--
--
Andre
Windows Connected | http://www.windowsconnected.com
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Insufficient resources (non-paged pool). (Google is your friend.)
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>
> Martijn Saly wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Well, hibernation has always worked fine, but all of the sudden it errors
>> on me. If I shutdown normally when I finish typing this message, it'll
>> continue to hibernate properly afterwards, because I've had this happen
>> before. It happened a few weeks ago, and now again.
>>
>> When trying to hibernate, I get a yellow popup in the lower right of the
>> screen that says the system failed to hibernate, with error code
>> 0xc000009a.
>> Since hibernation works about 98% of the time, systems specs shouldn't be
>> relevant, but here goes anyway:
>>
>> - Athlon64 3000+
>> - Gigabyte K8N Pro-SLI board (nForce4 SLI chipset)
>> - 2x 1GB memory (dual channel)
>> - 74GB 10krpm SATA disk
>> - 250GB 7200rpm SATA disk
>> - NEC DVD+/-RW burner
>> - Radeon X800 XT
>> - All else onboard
>>
>> - Windows XP x64 SP1 (of course)
>> - Pagefile is 1024MB (statically allocated on the boot disk)
>> - WUP says no updates available
>> - Latest drivers for everything I can think of
>>
>> I won't be able to verify any of the suggestions you guys come up with,
>> because this will be the one time in a few weeks this is going to happen.
>> Unless of course, my luck has run out. Anyway, if you know what this is,
>> please share it with me. If not, well, let's hope and pray that someone
>> at
>> Microsoft reads this and files a proper bug report.

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Tony Sperling
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-09-2006
Couldn't that be a fragmented disk/ disks?


Tony. . .


"Martijn Saly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
>
> Well, hibernation has always worked fine, but all of the sudden it errors
> on me. If I shutdown normally when I finish typing this message, it'll
> continue to hibernate properly afterwards, because I've had this happen
> before. It happened a few weeks ago, and now again.
>
> When trying to hibernate, I get a yellow popup in the lower right of the
> screen that says the system failed to hibernate, with error code
> 0xc000009a.
>
> Since hibernation works about 98% of the time, systems specs shouldn't be
> relevant, but here goes anyway:
>
> - Athlon64 3000+
> - Gigabyte K8N Pro-SLI board (nForce4 SLI chipset)
> - 2x 1GB memory (dual channel)
> - 74GB 10krpm SATA disk
> - 250GB 7200rpm SATA disk
> - NEC DVD+/-RW burner
> - Radeon X800 XT
> - All else onboard
>
> - Windows XP x64 SP1 (of course)
> - Pagefile is 1024MB (statically allocated on the boot disk)
> - WUP says no updates available
> - Latest drivers for everything I can think of
>
> I won't be able to verify any of the suggestions you guys come up with,
> because this will be the one time in a few weeks this is going to happen.
> Unless of course, my luck has run out. Anyway, if you know what this is,
> please share it with me. If not, well, let's hope and pray that someone at
> Microsoft reads this and files a proper bug report.
>
> --
> Thanks,
>
> Martijn Saly



 
Reply With Quote
 
Martijn Saly
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-09-2006
Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
> Insufficient resources (non-paged pool). (Google is your friend.)
>


What kind of resources does hibernation need, then?

--
Thanks,

Martijn Saly
 
Reply With Quote
 
Martijn Saly
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-09-2006
Tony Sperling wrote:
> Couldn't that be a fragmented disk/ disks?


I thought fragmentation didn't matter for hibernation? I mean, the
hiberfil.sys is just a file. Writing to a fragmented file is no different
from writing to a contigious file...

Anyway, hiberfil.sys isn't fragmented atm. Nor are any other system files.
Not even the MFT is fragmented.

--
Thanks,

Martijn Saly
 
Reply With Quote
 
Charlie Russel - MVP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-10-2006
Quite a bit, actually. So if you try to go into hibernation, and your
machine is resource starved, you're going to have problems. This is why it's
intermittent. I'd suggest you look at what other programs you've been
running before this problem occurs, and how long it's been since your last
reboot. Chances are there's something that is leaking memory.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Martijn Saly wrote:
> Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
>> Insufficient resources (non-paged pool). (Google is your friend.)
>>

>
> What kind of resources does hibernation need, then?



 
Reply With Quote
 
Tony Sperling
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-10-2006

"Martijn Saly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Tony Sperling wrote:
>> Couldn't that be a fragmented disk/ disks?

>
> I thought fragmentation didn't matter for hibernation? I mean, the
> hiberfil.sys is just a file. Writing to a fragmented file is no different
> from writing to a contigious file...
>


Hi,

I confess I really don't know, I just thought that perhaps the system might
protest if it couldn't store all available memory in one contigious chunk.
Just like the page/swap file Although, you would probably need to experience
extreme levels of fragmentation to not be able to accomodate for a couple of
Gig's on todays large volumes.


> Anyway, hiberfil.sys isn't fragmented atm. Nor are any other system files.
> Not even the MFT is fragmented.
>


well, then - that completely refutes that theory!

Tony. . .


 
Reply With Quote
 
Homer J. Simpson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-11-2006
> - 2x 1GB memory (dual channel)

Two sticks of 1GB? Did you recently add that second stick?

I've seen, firsthand, plenty of systems that managed to hibernate without
any problem since the OS was installed, and then randomly starting to fail
to hibernate immediately after increasing the RAM to anything more than 1GB.

Use the message text in a Google search--you'll see plenty of forum chatter
about this one (including some discussions about a hotfix not actually
taking care of the problem).


 
Reply With Quote
 
Simon Meacham
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-14-2006
One of the 'selling points' of x64 is unlike Windows 32bit, there's no limit
on non-paged pool imposed by the architecture of the OS.

NPP is Kernel RAM which can't be paged out EVER. Things like handles to the
disk drivers for example or other critical resources.

On 32 bit systems I believe the upper limit of NPP is 256Mb which is why
jamming sticks of RAM into 32 bit servers even with PAE on doesn't always
work as you run out of NPP for things before you run out of main RAM.

x64 however has no such limits ever for 32 bit apps running under WOW64
which is why x64 is very nice for terminal servers and other multi
connection servers which exhaust NPP.

So if you're running out of NPP on x64 things are very bad indeed and you
have, most likely, a leaky driver on one of your devices, per the suggestion
of the excellent Mr Russel.
I suspect (putting my developer hat on) that there is a problem in the
hibernation code for the flakey driver. When the machine hibernates it asks
all the devices to serialize (save) their state and report back when done.
If one fails hibernation is aborted. In your case I believe one the of the
drivers is spiralling off into infinitiy leaking resources when asked to
save it's state which ultimately generates the 'out of NPP' error.

But how to find out which one? You could try the driver verifier (included
in Windows) see support article here
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=244617 but it's a bit hairy.

Probably the easiest way out of this is firstly make sure all devices are up
to date. If that doesn't fix the issues unplug everything you can and try to
identify the offending device by process of elimination.

Hope this helps somewhat.
Cheers - Simon.
______________________________________________
Simon Meacham, MCP MBCS
64 bit blog @ http://lxivdigiti.wordpress.com
For email: Remove ".nospam" from end of address.
______________________________________________

"Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uP$$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Quite a bit, actually. So if you try to go into hibernation, and your
> machine is resource starved, you're going to have problems. This is why
> it's intermittent. I'd suggest you look at what other programs you've been
> running before this problem occurs, and how long it's been since your last
> reboot. Chances are there's something that is leaking memory.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>
> Martijn Saly wrote:
>> Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
>>> Insufficient resources (non-paged pool). (Google is your friend.)
>>>

>>
>> What kind of resources does hibernation need, then?

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hibernation Shutting Off Wireless Internet? =?Utf-8?B?TlNHdWFyZDA4MDg=?= Wireless Networking 1 03-31-2005 07:17 PM
IP connection drops and needs repair after hibernation =?Utf-8?B?R2VvcmdlSw==?= Wireless Networking 0 03-10-2005 02:09 PM
Any CONS to using Hibernation mode? lbbs Computer Support 5 01-08-2004 07:38 PM
Hibernation drvnguy Computer Support 3 12-25-2003 06:07 PM
Hibernation Problems James McSorley Computer Support 1 12-23-2003 12:36 PM



Advertisments