Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > IE7 beta causes Windows 2003 (sp1) x64 to freeze (sort of)

Reply
Thread Tools

IE7 beta causes Windows 2003 (sp1) x64 to freeze (sort of)

 
 
Egbert Nierop \(MVP for IIS\)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-06-2006
Yes, you read well. Do not install it on X64. I'm not sure for 100% but it
did reboot and work one time, and after that, -all services- except the most
important ones, like lsa and eventlog do -not- start so only 3 services
could start. Viewing the list of active services (services.msc) is not
possible, unless you switch to standard view. It seems that Windows X64
cannot deal with the HTML view and some other things anyway, I even cannot
view the eventlog, eventvwr.exe can open, but does not allow me to double
click and view what went wrong.

An in-place update from CD was the only solution to get IE6 back (MSI
services also were not able to start).


(ps: this is not a support request, I just mention it).

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Dennis Pack x64, IE7B2
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-06-2006
Egbert:

I'm running the x64 version if IE7B2 without problems. I removed
KB904942 and turned off "send and receive messages at startup" to cure a
known issue.





"Egbert Nierop (MVP for IIS)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:uq3Cc%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes, you read well. Do not install it on X64. I'm not sure for 100% but it
> did reboot and work one time, and after that, -all services- except the
> most important ones, like lsa and eventlog do -not- start so only 3
> services could start. Viewing the list of active services (services.msc)
> is not possible, unless you switch to standard view. It seems that Windows
> X64 cannot deal with the HTML view and some other things anyway, I even
> cannot view the eventlog, eventvwr.exe can open, but does not allow me to
> double click and view what went wrong.
>
> An in-place update from CD was the only solution to get IE6 back (MSI
> services also were not able to start).
>
>
> (ps: this is not a support request, I just mention it).



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Egbert Nierop \(MVP for IIS\)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-06-2006

"Dennis Pack x64, IE7B2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Egbert:
>
> I'm running the x64 version if IE7B2 without problems. I
> removed KB904942 and turned off "send and receive messages at startup" to
> cure a known issue.


ah, in my case, I could just open the registry or start an executable like
word, but anything related to management was off.

Is the 'send and receive messages' curing that problem? I got a message,
directly after the 'starting windows' modified to graph mode and the message
said: "one or more services could not start". To be more exact, about 15
services could not start. I was not able to find the real cullprit since the
eventlog was not readable as well.

I suspect this is related to IE7 B2 because the richedit control & HTML
caused a process freeze.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Dennis Pack x64, IE7B2
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-06-2006
Egbert:

You may have a corrupt installation. Uninstall IE7B2, reboot
twice, turn off AV before reinstalling. Another possibility is a conflict
with an IE add-on because they are transferred over from IE6. Disable all
add-ons, note response. If the response is normal, enable add-ons one at a
time to find the conflicting add-on, also if any add-on is listed twice
leave one disabled.





"Egbert Nierop (MVP for IIS)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "Dennis Pack x64, IE7B2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Egbert:
>>
>> I'm running the x64 version if IE7B2 without problems. I
>> removed KB904942 and turned off "send and receive messages at startup" to
>> cure a known issue.

>
> ah, in my case, I could just open the registry or start an executable like
> word, but anything related to management was off.
>
> Is the 'send and receive messages' curing that problem? I got a message,
> directly after the 'starting windows' modified to graph mode and the
> message said: "one or more services could not start". To be more exact,
> about 15 services could not start. I was not able to find the real
> cullprit since the eventlog was not readable as well.
>
> I suspect this is related to IE7 B2 because the richedit control & HTML
> caused a process freeze.
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Egbert Nierop \(MVP for IIS\)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-06-2006

"Dennis Pack x64, IE7B2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Egbert:
>
> You may have a corrupt installation. Uninstall IE7B2, reboot


Sure, it might be, but that's a bug. I just want to warn people not to
install it. Of course, it was not a production system happy me, I've
learnt not to spoil working systems like this.

> twice, turn off AV before reinstalling. Another possibility is a conflict


You are funny, uninstall also uses MSI, which cannot run as well.

I never run AV, have never been affacted as well.

> with an IE add-on because they are transferred over from IE6. Disable all
> add-ons, note response. If the response is normal, enable add-ons one at a


> time to find the conflicting add-on, also if any add-on is listed twice
> leave one disabled.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
IE7 beta 3 for x64 is out! =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?= Windows 64bit 16 06-30-2006 02:33 PM
IE7 beta causes x64 computer to shut down(lsaaa.exe) =?Utf-8?B?bWlrZSBvJ3I=?= Windows 64bit 1 05-06-2006 05:40 AM
IE7 beta2 causes x64 computer to shutdown (lsass.exe) Alexis F. Windows 64bit 3 05-05-2006 12:26 AM
Yahoo Messenger 7 causes windows to freeze =?Utf-8?B?bG9zdHdvcmQ=?= Windows 64bit 2 11-04-2005 11:28 PM
Using Windows XP x64 Drivers with Windows Server 2003 x64 Steve Graddy Windows 64bit 9 10-22-2005 04:27 AM



Advertisments