Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > BIOS data from registry on Windows Server 2003 Enterprise x64 Edit

BIOS data from registry on Windows Server 2003 Enterprise x64 Edit

=?Utf-8?B?T1NoZWxsNzc=?=

Hi,

I have an application that reads BIOS data from the registry. On 32-bit
Windows, BIOS data (version, date, manufacturer) can be found under registry
key HKLM\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System. However, On Windows Server 2003
Enterprise x64 Edition SP1, the BIOS information is not found under that
registry key. I found registry key HKLM\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System\BIOS but
it does not contain any BIOS data. Is there any other registry key on Win
Server 2003 x64 where BIOS version, date, manufacturer can be found?

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Don't know about Registry Key, but you should be able to find the BIOS
information under System Information > System Summary (Start > All Programs
> Accessories > System Tools > System Information > System Summary > BIOS

Version/Date.
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"OShell77" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I have an application that reads BIOS data from the registry. On 32-bit
> Windows, BIOS data (version, date, manufacturer) can be found under
> registry
> key HKLM\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System. However, On Windows Server 2003
> Enterprise x64 Edition SP1, the BIOS information is not found under that
> registry key. I found registry key HKLM\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System\BIOS
> but
> it does not contain any BIOS data. Is there any other registry key on Win
> Server 2003 x64 where BIOS version, date, manufacturer can be found?

Tony Sperling

Sorry Andre, that may not help him - as I understand it he has written a
functioning program that already gets it's data from the reg., only on 64bit
it doesn't work. I guess this is yet another example of the 'program files'
re-direction that is taking place under 'wow64' or 'syswow' or whatever.

Unfortunately, I also cannot be very helpfull unless pointing a somewhat
wavering finger at the 'Windows Installler'. Developer Information about
that would possibly be helpful.

OShell77, try programming NG's for your language, or windows specific
developer groups. You'll find these people here as well, but 90% of the
issues are general user stuff.

Tony. . .

news:uMR%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Don't know about Registry Key, but you should be able to find the BIOS
> information under System Information > System Summary (Start > All
> Programs
> > Accessories > System Tools > System Information > System Summary > BIOS

> Version/Date.
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>
> "OShell77" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have an application that reads BIOS data from the registry. On 32-bit
>> Windows, BIOS data (version, date, manufacturer) can be found under
>> registry
>> key HKLM\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System. However, On Windows Server 2003
>> Enterprise x64 Edition SP1, the BIOS information is not found under that
>> registry key. I found registry key HKLM\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System\BIOS
>> but
>> it does not contain any BIOS data. Is there any other registry key on Win
>> Server 2003 x64 where BIOS version, date, manufacturer can be found?

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

So why can't he have write an application then that reads BIOS information
from System information utility? Its already their.
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Sorry Andre, that may not help him - as I understand it he has written a
> functioning program that already gets it's data from the reg., only on
> 64bit it doesn't work. I guess this is yet another example of the 'program
> files' re-direction that is taking place under 'wow64' or 'syswow' or
> whatever.
>
> Unfortunately, I also cannot be very helpfull unless pointing a somewhat
> wavering finger at the 'Windows Installler'. Developer Information about
> that would possibly be helpful.
>
> OShell77, try programming NG's for your language, or windows specific
> developer groups. You'll find these people here as well, but 90% of the
> issues are general user stuff.
>

> Tony. . .

> news:uMR%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Don't know about Registry Key, but you should be able to find the BIOS
>> information under System Information > System Summary (Start > All
>> Programs
>> > Accessories > System Tools > System Information > System Summary > BIOS

>> Version/Date.
>> --
>> --
>> Andre
>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>>
>> "OShell77" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have an application that reads BIOS data from the registry. On 32-bit
>>> Windows, BIOS data (version, date, manufacturer) can be found under
>>> registry
>>> key HKLM\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System. However, On Windows Server 2003
>>> Enterprise x64 Edition SP1, the BIOS information is not found under that
>>> registry key. I found registry key HKLM\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System\BIOS
>>> but
>>> it does not contain any BIOS data. Is there any other registry key on
>>> Win
>>> Server 2003 x64 where BIOS version, date, manufacturer can be found?

Tony Sperling

O.K. - I do not know why, just guessing that he would rather not have to
make changes to the internal logic of something that already works on other
systems. There is, after all, no such thing as a 'bug free' program, and
there will never be one. If you make such a change you expose the code to
millions of new potential bugs. A working project, the author at least has a
certain control over.

Your suggestion is quite in order - that might work as well, but my point is
that he would probably end up asking himself the same thing again when
trying to make the program install, since this apparently is a general
'porting' issue that is 'generally' overlooked in porting litterature. And
he may not have read a lot of that if he has good reason to believe it will
run as 32bit, which it might have, if it wasn't for the reg.

Tony. . .

news:eQ$$(E-Mail Removed)...
> So why can't he have write an application then that reads BIOS information
> from System information utility? Its already their.
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Sorry Andre, that may not help him - as I understand it he has written a
>> functioning program that already gets it's data from the reg., only on
>> 64bit it doesn't work. I guess this is yet another example of the
>> 'program files' re-direction that is taking place under 'wow64' or
>> 'syswow' or whatever.
>>
>> Unfortunately, I also cannot be very helpfull unless pointing a somewhat
>> wavering finger at the 'Windows Installler'. Developer Information about
>> that would possibly be helpful.
>>
>> OShell77, try programming NG's for your language, or windows specific
>> developer groups. You'll find these people here as well, but 90% of the
>> issues are general user stuff.
>>

>> Tony. . .

>> news:uMR%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Don't know about Registry Key, but you should be able to find the BIOS
>>> information under System Information > System Summary (Start > All
>>> Programs
>>> Version/Date.
>>> --
>>> --
>>> Andre
>>> Windows Connected | http://www.windowsconnected.com
>>>
>>> "OShell77" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

I'd try doing a full registry search of the entries you can't find, like
SystemBiosDate or SystemBiosVersion and see where have they moved now.
Carlos

"OShell77" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have an application that reads BIOS data from the registry. On 32-bit
> Windows, BIOS data (version, date, manufacturer) can be found under registry
> key HKLM\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System. However, On Windows Server 2003
> Enterprise x64 Edition SP1, the BIOS information is not found under that
> registry key. I found registry key HKLM\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System\BIOS but
> it does not contain any BIOS data. Is there any other registry key on Win
> Server 2003 x64 where BIOS version, date, manufacturer can be found?

Homer J. Simpson

> So why can't he have write an application then that reads BIOS information
> from System information utility? Its already their.

Does the System Information utility provide a programmable interface?

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Maybe, not sure, if you can print it, why not program into it.
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> So why can't he have write an application then that reads BIOS
>> information from System information utility? Its already their.

> Does the System Information utility provide a programmable interface?

Homer J. Simpson

> Maybe, not sure, if you can print it, why not program into it.

Unless there's a published API, if I understand correctly, it seems that
what you're suggesting amounts to the classic "run a utility and parse the
output" methodology. Correct?

I'm not sure what "program into it" means.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

What you just said, I am not programmer, so I really don't know the correct
lingo.
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta