Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > New server Install - wont shutdown

New server Install - wont shutdown

=?Utf-8?B?RGFycmVsbA==?=

I have recently built a new server and installed the 64-bit version of XP
Pro. The system has the Intel SC5300LX chassis, an Intel SE7520AF2
mainboard, 2GB memory, 2 - 3.60GHz Xeon Processors, Sony CDRW Drive, and a
250GB SATA hard drive. I got the OS, drivers, updates, and utilites install.
The system is working great and reboots fine, but when I go to shutdown I
get the saving settings box it goes away and I am left with a blue screen,
the mosue is locked and it just sits there. It will not go any further. I
even let it set for 15 minutes before I just help in the power button.

I saved everything I downloaded to the system and I did another clean
install of the OS. I did not install any updates or utilited and tried the
shutdown again and it does the same thing in the same spot. Still it will
reboot just fine.

So I decided maybe a new bios would take care of the problem. I went to
Intel's site and got the most recent update for the mainboard. I got it
installed and it still has the same problem in the same spot.

So right now I have a system with only the OS installed, nothing else, and
it will lock up on shutdown after the save settings screen goes away. Does
anyone have any ideas on where I might look or some update I may need to
apply to remedy this problem?

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Have you done a reinstall? Are there any attached devices such as external
USB Drives connected? Have you checked the event viewer to see if there are
any errors on startup?
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"Darrell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have recently built a new server and installed the 64-bit version of XP
> Pro. The system has the Intel SC5300LX chassis, an Intel SE7520AF2
> mainboard, 2GB memory, 2 - 3.60GHz Xeon Processors, Sony CDRW Drive, and a
> 250GB SATA hard drive. I got the OS, drivers, updates, and utilites
> install.
> The system is working great and reboots fine, but when I go to shutdown I
> get the saving settings box it goes away and I am left with a blue screen,
> the mosue is locked and it just sits there. It will not go any further.
> even let it set for 15 minutes before I just help in the power button.
>
> I saved everything I downloaded to the system and I did another clean
> install of the OS. I did not install any updates or utilited and tried
> the
> shutdown again and it does the same thing in the same spot. Still it will
> reboot just fine.
>
> So I decided maybe a new bios would take care of the problem. I went to
> Intel's site and got the most recent update for the mainboard. I got it
> installed and it still has the same problem in the same spot.
>
> So right now I have a system with only the OS installed, nothing else, and
> it will lock up on shutdown after the save settings screen goes away.
> Does
> anyone have any ideas on where I might look or some update I may need to
> apply to remedy this problem?

Tony Sperling

Yes, USB devices that are not needed during install - I was about to mention
Cool&Quiet, but you are on Intel so, we can forget that. What AV are you
running? Some systems are negatively affected by Avast!, but some of those
can find a work-around - others, seem not to.

Tony. . .