Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > dual boot x32 & x64

dual boot x32 & x64

=?Utf-8?B?ZmxleGlibGU=?=

I'm setting up a new AMD dual core with XP Pro both the x32 and x64 versions.
I learned the hard way that they each need a seperate drive so I'm going to
partition the hard drive into 'C' & 'D'.

QUESTION: which OS should I add first or does it matter?

thanks
--
flexible

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Always install the older version of Windows first, in this case Windows XP
Professional x86 (32-bit) first then Windows XP Professional x64 (64-bit)
after.

Charlie Russel - MVP has an excellent article about recovering from corrupt
installations and installing in the wrong order:
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/arc.../21/76180.aspx
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"flexible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm setting up a new AMD dual core with XP Pro both the x32 and x64
> versions.
> I learned the hard way that they each need a seperate drive so I'm going
> partition the hard drive into 'C' & 'D'.
>
> QUESTION: which OS should I add first or does it matter?
>
> thanks
> --
> flexible

Charlie Russel - MVP

Yes, it matters. Rule number one of dual boots - always start with the
oldest first. So, do xp 32-bit first, then xp x64.

See my blog for details.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

flexible wrote:
> I'm setting up a new AMD dual core with XP Pro both the x32 and x64
> versions. I learned the hard way that they each need a seperate drive so
> I'm going to partition the hard drive into 'C' & 'D'.
>
> QUESTION: which OS should I add first or does it matter?
>
> thanks

Bioboffin

flexible wrote:
> I'm setting up a new AMD dual core with XP Pro both the x32 and x64
> versions. I learned the hard way that they each need a seperate drive
> so I'm going to partition the hard drive into 'C' & 'D'.
>
> QUESTION: which OS should I add first or does it matter?
>
> thanks

Actually in this case it doesn't matter. You are getting the "conventional
wisdom" from the other contributors. Both OSs are windows XP and therefore
'concurrent'. I have done it both ways, and both work fine! However, you
will find that the one which you install last comes out as the default when
you start up. (Because boot.ini puts the latest OS first). If you choose to
install XP x64 first, and prefer it to be the default, you will need to edit
boot.ini (which is very easy and you can do it from within either version of
windows).

Take care,

John.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Just to be safe though, install XP x64 after XP x86.

As you said, you can change the boot options by opening Control Panel from
either OS, open System > Advanced (tab) > under "Startup and Recovery" click
> Settings > under System startup > click in the "Default operating

system:" list box and choose your desire OS.

You can also edit the "Time to display list of operating systems:" on the
Windows Boot Manager.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"Bioboffin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> flexible wrote:
>> I'm setting up a new AMD dual core with XP Pro both the x32 and x64
>> versions. I learned the hard way that they each need a seperate drive
>> so I'm going to partition the hard drive into 'C' & 'D'.
>>
>> QUESTION: which OS should I add first or does it matter?
>>
>> thanks

> Actually in this case it doesn't matter. You are getting the "conventional
> wisdom" from the other contributors. Both OSs are windows XP and therefore
> 'concurrent'. I have done it both ways, and both work fine! However, you
> will find that the one which you install last comes out as the default
> when you start up. (Because boot.ini puts the latest OS first). If you
> choose to install XP x64 first, and prefer it to be the default, you will
> need to edit boot.ini (which is very easy and you can do it from within
> either version of windows).
>
> Take care,
>
> John.

John Barnes

Not correct. Follow Charlies instruction in the blog. Newest system last.

"Bioboffin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> flexible wrote:
>> I'm setting up a new AMD dual core with XP Pro both the x32 and x64
>> versions. I learned the hard way that they each need a seperate drive
>> so I'm going to partition the hard drive into 'C' & 'D'.
>>
>> QUESTION: which OS should I add first or does it matter?
>>
>> thanks

> Actually in this case it doesn't matter. You are getting the "conventional
> wisdom" from the other contributors. Both OSs are windows XP and therefore
> 'concurrent'. I have done it both ways, and both work fine! However, you
> will find that the one which you install last comes out as the default
> when you start up. (Because boot.ini puts the latest OS first). If you
> choose to install XP x64 first, and prefer it to be the default, you will
> need to edit boot.ini (which is very easy and you can do it from within
> either version of windows).
>
> Take care,
>
> John.

Jane Colman

Nope. XP x32 is XP. XP x64 is not. It's based on Windows 2003........

--
Jane, but not plain 64 bit enabled
Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation.

Bioboffin

So you're telling me that this XP x64 OS which I am currently using as a
dual boot system with an XP W32 on a second hard drive doesn't work?

(Incidentally, the reason I installed it this way round is because the XP 32
OS failed to boot - thanks to a problem with the RAID controller - so I
needed to reinstall it from scratch. This was AFTER the x64 OS - obviously.
Works just fine.)

So you are wrong.

John.

John Barnes wrote:
> Not correct. Follow Charlies instruction in the blog. Newest system
> last.
>
> "Bioboffin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> flexible wrote:
>>> I'm setting up a new AMD dual core with XP Pro both the x32 and x64
>>> versions. I learned the hard way that they each need a seperate
>>> drive so I'm going to partition the hard drive into 'C' & 'D'.
>>>
>>> QUESTION: which OS should I add first or does it matter?
>>>
>>> thanks

>> Actually in this case it doesn't matter. You are getting the
>> "conventional wisdom" from the other contributors. Both OSs are
>> windows XP and therefore 'concurrent'. I have done it both ways, and
>> both work fine! However, you will find that the one which you
>> install last comes out as the default when you start up. (Because
>> boot.ini puts the latest OS first). If you choose to install XP x64
>> first, and prefer it to be the default, you will need to edit
>> boot.ini (which is very easy and you can do it from within either
>> version of windows). Take care,
>>
>> John.

John Barnes

If you screw around with the drive priorities, active partitions, etc. you
can accidentally get it to work, but that is not the intelligent way. Just
ask dozens of posters who installed x64 first then x86 and came up with
various drive and or file not found messages.

"Bioboffin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> So you're telling me that this XP x64 OS which I am currently using as a
> dual boot system with an XP W32 on a second hard drive doesn't work?
>
> (Incidentally, the reason I installed it this way round is because the XP
> 32 OS failed to boot - thanks to a problem with the RAID controller - so I
> needed to reinstall it from scratch. This was AFTER the x64 OS -
> obviously. Works just fine.)
>
> So you are wrong.
>
> John.
>
> John Barnes wrote:
>> Not correct. Follow Charlies instruction in the blog. Newest system
>> last.
>>
>> "Bioboffin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Actually in this case it doesn't matter. You are getting the
>>> "conventional wisdom" from the other contributors. Both OSs are
>>> windows XP and therefore 'concurrent'. I have done it both ways, and
>>> both work fine! However, you will find that the one which you
>>> install last comes out as the default when you start up. (Because
>>> boot.ini puts the latest OS first). If you choose to install XP x64
>>> first, and prefer it to be the default, you will need to edit
>>> boot.ini (which is very easy and you can do it from within either
>>> version of windows). Take care,
>>>
>>> John.

Dennis Pack x64, IE7B2

John:
I agree with you fully. It's one of the first lessons that I learned
the hard way when x64 was still a CPP build. A way around it may be using a
third-party boot manager.

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you screw around with the drive priorities, active partitions, etc. you
> can accidentally get it to work, but that is not the intelligent way.
> Just ask dozens of posters who installed x64 first then x86 and came up
> with various drive and or file not found messages.
>

> "Bioboffin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> So you're telling me that this XP x64 OS which I am currently using as a
>> dual boot system with an XP W32 on a second hard drive doesn't work?
>>
>> (Incidentally, the reason I installed it this way round is because the XP
>> 32 OS failed to boot - thanks to a problem with the RAID controller - so
>> I needed to reinstall it from scratch. This was AFTER the x64 OS -
>> obviously. Works just fine.)
>>
>> So you are wrong.
>>
>> John.
>>
>> John Barnes wrote:
>>> Not correct. Follow Charlies instruction in the blog. Newest system
>>> last.
>>>
>>> "Bioboffin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

dual boot or not to dual boot Hugh Sutherland Computer Support 1 01-20-2010 10:10 PM
Installing XP Pro x64 in a dual boot/vm with XP Pro x32? Pat Windows 64bit 7 03-31-2008 02:15 PM
dual boot x64 & x32 XP =?Utf-8?B?ZmxleGlibGU=?= Windows 64bit 4 05-01-2006 07:57 PM
dual boot x64 x32 jcl Windows 64bit 7 03-07-2006 12:36 PM
Dual boot x64 and x32? =?Utf-8?B?S2V2aW4gQnVydG9u?= Windows 64bit 8 07-24-2005 08:00 PM

Advertisments