Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > sharing printers

sharing printers

=?Utf-8?B?SkNTaGVh?=

I have a printer hardwired(USB) to my "main" computer which also hosts my
Netgear router. I have succeeded in sharing the printer with one (of 2)
wireless-connected computers.

Try as I might, I can't get the second computer (Dell laptop running XP) to
even see the "network" printer.

I used the "Add Printer" Wizard for the first connection and it worked fine.
But I can't seem to do anything to connect the second.

Any suggestions?

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Start the Add Printer Wizard, click Next > select "A network printer, or a
printer attached to another computer > Connect to this printer (or to browse
for a printer, select this option and click Next:

Name: \\home-x64asrock\hp840 (for example)

Click next and finish the wizard.

Also, make sure the Dell laptop is a part of the workgroup, unique computer
name, ipaddress.
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"JCShea" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a printer hardwired(USB) to my "main" computer which also hosts my
> Netgear router. I have succeeded in sharing the printer with one (of 2)
> wireless-connected computers.
>
> Try as I might, I can't get the second computer (Dell laptop running XP)
> even see the "network" printer.
>
> I used the "Add Printer" Wizard for the first connection and it worked
> fine.
> But I can't seem to do anything to connect the second.
>
> Any suggestions?

=?Utf-8?B?SkNTaGVh?=

Thanks for the response, Andre.

Before I ran the wizard, I pinged the Laptop and the connectivity (between
laptop and main PC) was fine. The wizard would not find the printer through
browsing. I did attempt to name the printer to be connected with (\\computer
name\printer name), but I received an error message that the name wasn't
typed right or the printer wasn't connected.

I haven't examined whether the laptop is in the same workgroup, though.
I'll do that and report back.

Thanks again.

"Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:

> Start the Add Printer Wizard, click Next > select "A network printer, or a
> printer attached to another computer > Connect to this printer (or to browse
> for a printer, select this option and click Next:
>
> Name: \\home-x64asrock\hp840 (for example)
>
> Click next and finish the wizard.
>
> Also, make sure the Dell laptop is a part of the workgroup, unique computer
> name, ipaddress.
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>
> "JCShea" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have a printer hardwired(USB) to my "main" computer which also hosts my
> > Netgear router. I have succeeded in sharing the printer with one (of 2)
> > wireless-connected computers.
> >
> > Try as I might, I can't get the second computer (Dell laptop running XP)
> > even see the "network" printer.
> >
> > I used the "Add Printer" Wizard for the first connection and it worked
> > fine.
> > But I can't seem to do anything to connect the second.
> >
> > Any suggestions?

=?Utf-8?B?SkNTaGVh?=

An update: The laptop that I was trying to connected had a different
workgroup. I went into the network connections and operated the network
wizard, changing the workgroup to the same name as the other two computers on
the network.

From there, the "Add Printer" wizard worked like a charm. All computers are
on-line and able to use the connected printer. Thanks for your help.

JCShea

"Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:

> Start the Add Printer Wizard, click Next > select "A network printer, or a
> printer attached to another computer > Connect to this printer (or to browse
> for a printer, select this option and click Next:
>
> Name: \\home-x64asrock\hp840 (for example)
>
> Click next and finish the wizard.
>
> Also, make sure the Dell laptop is a part of the workgroup, unique computer
> name, ipaddress.
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>
> "JCShea" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have a printer hardwired(USB) to my "main" computer which also hosts my
> > Netgear router. I have succeeded in sharing the printer with one (of 2)
> > wireless-connected computers.
> >
> > Try as I might, I can't get the second computer (Dell laptop running XP)
> > even see the "network" printer.
> >
> > I used the "Add Printer" Wizard for the first connection and it worked
> > fine.
> > But I can't seem to do anything to connect the second.
> >
> > Any suggestions?

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Great! You are welcome.