Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > She boots -- but there ain't no desktop...

She boots -- but there ain't no desktop...

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

Tony:
This tip will save you one reboot when installing new NVidia graphic drivers
(no need to uninstall previous version).
Google for a little program nvxp-all.exe
Download the NVidia graphic driver.
Unzip (or UnRAR) the NVidia driver (in exe format) to a folder.
This is usually an option you get when you right click on the exe file.
Copy nvxp-all.exe to that folder.
Open a cmd window and run nvxp-all.
This will uncompress the installation files and modify the installation
files (don't know how).
Update the NVidia driver now in the usual manner, that is, point to the inf
file and let the program do the rest.
The older driver is uninstalled first and the new driver is installed
afterwards.
One single reboot and you are ready to go.
Have done this at least for one year with no problems.
Carlos

"Tony Sperling" wrote:

> I would be very surprised if 'uncertified drivers' were your problem. These
> driver versions does not seem to be much different, the only real difference
> is that the certified drivers are written to the Hardware Compatibility
> list. This, is very expensive for the manufacturer. Of course, it means more
> testing is employed, but anything that isn't Beta - the manufacturer
> generally has a good idea of what works or not. (Says I!)
>
> I also have an Asrock board, (socket 754!) and this has been inordinately
> stable, yet I feel I am familiar with those symptoms, you describe. I would
> probably have preferred doing a 'system restore' before trying the 'repair
> install' - especially, perhaps, when boot problems are involved.
>
> The first thing I usually do when things, remotely like these, happen is to
> ask myself "what was the last thing you tinkered with?"
>
> nVidia drivers are usually very friendly to work with, but most other
> things, whenever I upgrade or install/re-install any drivers, I do a
> complete un-install first, and re-boot. If I have any suspicion of any kind
> of problem or issue, I do it with everything - including nVidia and then
> re-boot into a proper mode.
>
> It is a difficult thing to wipe away in a hurry and I can sympathise with
> your wish to see the logs. Perhaps you should consult the on-line 'Resource
> Kit' documentation, that has wide and far reaching discussions on 'logging'
> as I recall.
>

> Regards, Tony. . .
>

> "Rob Perkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Rob Perkins wrote:

> > > Not overclocking, and no comprehensive RAM test right now.
> > >
> > > And the "Installing Devices" step on the repair install is in its third
> > > hour. I don't know how to bypass it.

> > I suppose what I'll do is restart the repair install at this point, and
> > refuse to install the detected but uncertified drivers... see if that
> > helps things along at all...
> >

> > Rob

John Barnes

You should be able to read the crash report from your other small x64
install. You can read the minidump if you don't have it turned off. Do a
search on minidump and select the one you want.

"Rob Perkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Rob Perkins wrote:
>> Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
>>
>>> A couple of obvious questions - are you overclocking? Have you run a
>>> comprehensive RAM test?
>>>

>> Not overclocking, and no comprehensive RAM test right now.
>>
>> And the "Installing Devices" step on the repair install is in its third
>> hour. I don't know how to bypass it.

> I suppose what I'll do is restart the repair install at this point, and
> refuse to install the detected but uncertified drivers... see if that
> helps things along at all...
>

> Rob

Rob Perkins

John Barnes wrote:
> You should be able to read the crash report from your other small x64
> install. You can read the minidump if you don't have it turned off. Do a
> search on minidump and select the one you want.

And update: A memtestx86 test I ran for several hours (enough to get one
good pass) reported no problems with the RAM.

I actually managed to get a similar crash on the small x64 install, to
the point where I got corrupted registry BSOD's and the thing just
wouldn't boot at all.

A last-known-good roll back restored the registry enough to boot into
the small partition, which then showed me an upload dialog for the
previous crash. So I was able to get MS to read the dump for me.

It reported that a device driver had caused the crash. The name of the
driver was "unknown driver"

Since the only "unknown device" on the system was a Hauppauge WinTV card
(the reeeeeally old ones from the late '90's, a WinTV-FM, which has
served me really well all these years), I pulled it, and the small
partition system returned to being stable.

Right now I'm to the point of adding a LAN driver, so I can re-download
Avast, and then apply all the other drivers.

How is Cool'n'Quiet on the ASROCK boards? Should I install that driver?

Rob

Charlie Russel - MVP

Well, if you had one of those in there, I'm not all that surprised.

As for cool and quiet? I wouldn't.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Rob Perkins wrote:
> John Barnes wrote:
>> You should be able to read the crash report from your other small x64
>> install. You can read the minidump if you don't have it turned off. Do a
>> search on minidump and select the one you want.

> And update: A memtestx86 test I ran for several hours (enough to get one
> good pass) reported no problems with the RAM.
>
> I actually managed to get a similar crash on the small x64 install, to
> the point where I got corrupted registry BSOD's and the thing just
> wouldn't boot at all.
>
> A last-known-good roll back restored the registry enough to boot into
> the small partition, which then showed me an upload dialog for the
> previous crash. So I was able to get MS to read the dump for me.
>
> It reported that a device driver had caused the crash. The name of the
> driver was "unknown driver"
>
> Since the only "unknown device" on the system was a Hauppauge WinTV card
> (the reeeeeally old ones from the late '90's, a WinTV-FM, which has
> served me really well all these years), I pulled it, and the small
> partition system returned to being stable.
>
> Right now I'm to the point of adding a LAN driver, so I can re-download
> Avast, and then apply all the other drivers.
>
> How is Cool'n'Quiet on the ASROCK boards? Should I install that driver?
>
> Rob

Rob Perkins

Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
> Well, if you had one of those in there, I'm not all that surprised.

Fair enough. Any suggestions for a replacement?

> As for cool and quiet? I wouldn't.

I added the Athlon 64 driver, which appears to be certified. I think
cool 'n' quiet is disabled on the mobo. I also disabled all the serial
and parallel ports I'm not using right now.

So far no power management functions, including ACPI S3 mode, appear to
be available. I'm going to leave off the SATAII driver for now, on the
logic that it's working OK now and I don't want to complicate things.

I figure, whatever. Maybe Vista on this machine will improve things
sometime down the road.

As for now, I installed fresh, thanked Him whom I worship that I had the
presence of mind to put my critical stuff into virtual machines, and I
only have two or three apps left to go to install.

Things appear to be working OK now.

Rob

Tony Sperling

Hi, Carlos - and thank you! I'll have a look, and see if I can leave the old
habits behind? Actually, I had thought all along that nVidia, after
introducing the 'unified driver architecture', was attempting to do such
un-installation clean-up kind-a-work, only not always with the same success.
Usually I find the updating works flawlessly.

Tony. . .

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
>> things, whenever I upgrade or install/re-install any drivers, I do a
>> complete un-install first, and re-boot. If I have any suspicion of any
>> kind
>> of problem or issue, I do it with everything - including nVidia and then
>> re-boot into a proper mode.
>>
>> It is a difficult thing to wipe away in a hurry and I can sympathise with
>> your wish to see the logs. Perhaps you should consult the on-line
>> 'Resource
>> Kit' documentation, that has wide and far reaching discussions on
>> 'logging'
>> as I recall.
>>

>> Regards, Tony. . .
>>

>> "Rob Perkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> > I suppose what I'll do is restart the repair install at this point, and
>> > refuse to install the detected but uncertified drivers... see if that

Charlie Russel - MVP

Hopefully Andre will pipe up with suggestions, or check planetamd64.com. I
don't use TV on my x64 boxes - that's what TiVo is for - so I don't pay a
whole lot of attention.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Rob Perkins wrote:
> Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
>> Well, if you had one of those in there, I'm not all that surprised.

> Fair enough. Any suggestions for a replacement?
>
>> As for cool and quiet? I wouldn't.

> I added the Athlon 64 driver, which appears to be certified. I think
> cool 'n' quiet is disabled on the mobo. I also disabled all the serial
> and parallel ports I'm not using right now.
>
> So far no power management functions, including ACPI S3 mode, appear to
> be available. I'm going to leave off the SATAII driver for now, on the
> logic that it's working OK now and I don't want to complicate things.
>
> I figure, whatever. Maybe Vista on this machine will improve things
> sometime down the road.
>
> As for now, I installed fresh, thanked Him whom I worship that I had the
> presence of mind to put my critical stuff into virtual machines, and I
> only have two or three apps left to go to install.
>
> Things appear to be working OK now.
>
> Rob

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

Tony:
Here's the guide:
http://content.guru3d.com/article.php?cat=review&id=23
Here's the link for the file:
http://www.guru3d.com/guide/det-xp-i...s/NVXP-ALL.exe
Happy updating from now on!
Carlos
P.S.: This guide could also be helpful for Andre, who is another NVIDIA user

"Tony Sperling" wrote:

> [...]
> >> ask myself "what was the last thing you tinkered with?"
> >>
> >> nVidia drivers are usually very friendly to work with, but most other
> >> things, whenever I upgrade or install/re-install any drivers, I do a
> >> complete un-install first, and re-boot. If I have any suspicion of any
> >> kind
> >> of problem or issue, I do it with everything - including nVidia and then
> >> re-boot into a proper mode.
> >>
> >> It is a difficult thing to wipe away in a hurry and I can sympathise with
> >> your wish to see the logs. Perhaps you should consult the on-line
> >> 'Resource
> >> Kit' documentation, that has wide and far reaching discussions on
> >> 'logging'
> >> as I recall.
> >>

> >> Regards, Tony. . .
> >>

> >> "Rob Perkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

Dennis Pack

Rob:

I'm using a Leadtek TV2000 XP Expert capture card with the x64
drivers from http://tw1965.myweb.hinet.net/. I capture TV using Cyberlink
Power Director 5 or watch TV using ShowShifter.

"Rob Perkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
>> Well, if you had one of those in there, I'm not all that surprised.

> Fair enough. Any suggestions for a replacement?
>
>> As for cool and quiet? I wouldn't.

> I added the Athlon 64 driver, which appears to be certified. I think cool
> 'n' quiet is disabled on the mobo. I also disabled all the serial and
> parallel ports I'm not using right now.
>
> So far no power management functions, including ACPI S3 mode, appear to be
> available. I'm going to leave off the SATAII driver for now, on the logic
> that it's working OK now and I don't want to complicate things.
>
> I figure, whatever. Maybe Vista on this machine will improve things
> sometime down the road.
>
> As for now, I installed fresh, thanked Him whom I worship that I had the
> presence of mind to put my critical stuff into virtual machines, and I
> only have two or three apps left to go to install.
>
> Things appear to be working OK now.
>
> Rob

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

phewwwwwwwwwww - you saved me, thanks Dennis.
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

news:(E-Mail Removed)...