Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > New avast antivirus 4.7.817 for x64

New avast antivirus 4.7.817 for x64

John Barnes

Just a point, the link is for the Paid version not the Free version most
here use
I also have not had shutdown problems.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Avast (www.avast.com) has just released a new revision of its (in)famous
> antivirus.
> Here's the download page for the pro version:
> Enjoy!
> Carlos

John Barnes

As noted here before, my most annoying configuration change that x64 keeps
forgetting is the height of the task bar. I have to reset it maybe 30-40%
of the time. Real pain.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, Andre.
>
> For myself, I fixed this quite some time ago with that crazy 'F5' trick
> that someone mentioned. Then when it auto-updated (the app - not the
> database!) one day the problem was back. I F5'ed again, and since then it
> only resurfaced once after a spontaneous re-boot.
>
> Curiously enough, I have had a number of strange controversies around x64
> not remembering configuration changes I make. It can be changing a default
> location in Flight Simulator or configuring Wi-Fi, or anything that you
> change, and then when you re-boot that very thing is back to it's old
> default. The funny thing is that if I change any such config info and then
> press F5 - after re-booting the new setting very often is retained!!!
>
> I remember back in Win3.1 if you changed something in Control Panel you
> had to restart Windows (not neccessarily re-boot the machine) there was
> this feature to press [Ctrl + Shft + F3(or something)] and the Contrlo
> Panel re-initialized itself on the spot. I missed it when it went away,
> but I never heard of it surviving in a different form.
>

> Tony. . .

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Thanks Carlos, tell me something, have they fixed that issue with
>> shutdown on XP x64?
>> --
>> --
>> Andre
>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Avast (www.avast.com) has just released a new revision of its (in)famous
>>> antivirus.
>>> Here's the download page for the pro version:
>>> Enjoy!
>>> Carlos

Rick

The task bar height problem is not just a Win x64 problem. I have had
it in Win XP Home & Pro. I currently don't have the problem, but I did
about a year ago. I would have to resize the bar about 1/2 the time.
This went on for about a month or so and then it just quit. I have had
this on at least 2 different occasions & systems that I recall off the
top of my head.

John Barnes wrote:
> As noted here before, my most annoying configuration change that x64 keeps
> forgetting is the height of the task bar. I have to reset it maybe 30-40%
> of the time. Real pain.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi, Andre.
>>
>> For myself, I fixed this quite some time ago with that crazy 'F5' trick
>> that someone mentioned. Then when it auto-updated (the app - not the
>> database!) one day the problem was back. I F5'ed again, and since then it
>> only resurfaced once after a spontaneous re-boot.
>>
>> Curiously enough, I have had a number of strange controversies around x64
>> not remembering configuration changes I make. It can be changing a default
>> location in Flight Simulator or configuring Wi-Fi, or anything that you
>> change, and then when you re-boot that very thing is back to it's old
>> default. The funny thing is that if I change any such config info and then
>> press F5 - after re-booting the new setting very often is retained!!!
>>
>> I remember back in Win3.1 if you changed something in Control Panel you
>> had to restart Windows (not neccessarily re-boot the machine) there was
>> this feature to press [Ctrl + Shft + F3(or something)] and the Contrlo
>> Panel re-initialized itself on the spot. I missed it when it went away,
>> but I never heard of it surviving in a different form.
>>

>> Tony. . .

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Thanks Carlos, tell me something, have they fixed that issue with
>>> shutdown on XP x64?
>>> --
>>> --
>>> Andre
>>> Windows Connected | http://www.windowsconnected.com
>>>
>>> "Carlos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Tony Sperling

Yes, I've been through that as well, but very infrequently. Like Rick says,
I think my notebook (home) has had that problem too - unfortunately, I
cannot remember excactly which problems was resolved by F5'ing, just that
not only Avast found a helper there.

Hmm, be nice if some MS GUI Expert would drop by on occasion?

Tony. . .

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> As noted here before, my most annoying configuration change that x64 keeps
> forgetting is the height of the task bar. I have to reset it maybe 30-40%
> of the time. Real pain.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi, Andre.
>>
>> For myself, I fixed this quite some time ago with that crazy 'F5' trick
>> that someone mentioned. Then when it auto-updated (the app - not the
>> database!) one day the problem was back. I F5'ed again, and since then it
>> only resurfaced once after a spontaneous re-boot.
>>
>> Curiously enough, I have had a number of strange controversies around x64
>> not remembering configuration changes I make. It can be changing a
>> default location in Flight Simulator or configuring Wi-Fi, or anything
>> that you change, and then when you re-boot that very thing is back to
>> it's old default. The funny thing is that if I change any such config
>> info and then press F5 - after re-booting the new setting very often is
>> retained!!!
>>
>> I remember back in Win3.1 if you changed something in Control Panel you
>> had to restart Windows (not neccessarily re-boot the machine) there was
>> this feature to press [Ctrl + Shft + F3(or something)] and the Contrlo
>> Panel re-initialized itself on the spot. I missed it when it went away,
>> but I never heard of it surviving in a different form.
>>

>> Tony. . .

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Thanks Carlos, tell me something, have they fixed that issue with
>>> shutdown on XP x64?
>>> --
>>> --
>>> Andre
>>> Windows Connected | http://www.windowsconnected.com
>>>
>>> "Carlos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

John Barnes

Fortunately I haven't had the problem on any other system. Sometimes it
will be many days with no problem, then I have the problem every time I boot
for days.
Win98, Win98SE, WinME and WinXPx86 worked fine, but for a while I had my
sound that would occasionally not work on XP requiring a system restore or
reinstall drivers.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The task bar height problem is not just a Win x64 problem. I have had it
> in Win XP Home & Pro. I currently don't have the problem, but I did about
> a year ago. I would have to resize the bar about 1/2 the time. This went
> on for about a month or so and then it just quit. I have had this on at
> least 2 different occasions & systems that I recall off the top of my
> head.
>
> John Barnes wrote:
>> As noted here before, my most annoying configuration change that x64
>> keeps forgetting is the height of the task bar. I have to reset it maybe
>> 30-40% of the time. Real pain.
>>

>> "Tony Sperling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi, Andre.
>>>
>>> For myself, I fixed this quite some time ago with that crazy 'F5' trick
>>> that someone mentioned. Then when it auto-updated (the app - not the
>>> database!) one day the problem was back. I F5'ed again, and since then
>>> it only resurfaced once after a spontaneous re-boot.
>>>
>>> Curiously enough, I have had a number of strange controversies around
>>> x64 not remembering configuration changes I make. It can be changing a
>>> default location in Flight Simulator or configuring Wi-Fi, or anything
>>> that you change, and then when you re-boot that very thing is back to
>>> it's old default. The funny thing is that if I change any such config
>>> info and then press F5 - after re-booting the new setting very often is
>>> retained!!!
>>>
>>> I remember back in Win3.1 if you changed something in Control Panel you
>>> had to restart Windows (not neccessarily re-boot the machine) there was
>>> this feature to press [Ctrl + Shft + F3(or something)] and the Contrlo
>>> Panel re-initialized itself on the spot. I missed it when it went away,
>>> but I never heard of it surviving in a different form.
>>>

>>> Tony. . .
>>>

>>> "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Strange, I have not encountered this phenomena (yet), on XP x86 or XP x64,
at least I will know what do if it does happen. Thanks guys.
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> As noted here before, my most annoying configuration change that x64 keeps
> forgetting is the height of the task bar. I have to reset it maybe 30-40%
> of the time. Real pain.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi, Andre.
>>
>> For myself, I fixed this quite some time ago with that crazy 'F5' trick
>> that someone mentioned. Then when it auto-updated (the app - not the
>> database!) one day the problem was back. I F5'ed again, and since then it
>> only resurfaced once after a spontaneous re-boot.
>>
>> Curiously enough, I have had a number of strange controversies around x64
>> not remembering configuration changes I make. It can be changing a
>> default location in Flight Simulator or configuring Wi-Fi, or anything
>> that you change, and then when you re-boot that very thing is back to
>> it's old default. The funny thing is that if I change any such config
>> info and then press F5 - after re-booting the new setting very often is
>> retained!!!
>>
>> I remember back in Win3.1 if you changed something in Control Panel you
>> had to restart Windows (not neccessarily re-boot the machine) there was
>> this feature to press [Ctrl + Shft + F3(or something)] and the Contrlo
>> Panel re-initialized itself on the spot. I missed it when it went away,
>> but I never heard of it surviving in a different form.
>>

>> Tony. . .

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Thanks Carlos, tell me something, have they fixed that issue with
>>> shutdown on XP x64?
>>> --
>>> --
>>> Andre
>>> Windows Connected | http://www.windowsconnected.com
>>>
>>> "Carlos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Fortunately I am also the only one on my system, so if I was using Avast, I
would not encounter. My AV right now though is Symantec AV 10. Works real
good.
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Andre:
> I've had no shutdown issues since I disabled fast user switching and use
> the
> standard login screen.
> Carlos
>
> "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:
>
>> Thanks Carlos, tell me something, have they fixed that issue with
>> shutdown
>> on XP x64?
>> --
>> --
>> Andre
>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Avast (www.avast.com) has just released a new revision of its
>> > (in)famous
>> > antivirus.
>> > Here's the download page for the pro version:
>> > Enjoy!
>> > Carlos

Pete

"Jane Colman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> I'm using Avast and had no shutdown issues.

I do...

John Barnes

I don't either, but your choice is to purchase one of the products that
work, live with the problem or with luck, one of the solutions offered on
this site will work for you.

"Pete" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Jane Colman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
>> I'm using Avast and had no shutdown issues.

> I do...

=?Utf-8?B?YWw=?=

use NOD32.. much more stable. u can use the 30day trial for free without
giving any info. there are some heavy hitters that use this type of a/v. its
atleast worth checking out
--
AMD Clawhammer 4000+, MSI Diamond Plus, 2G Corsair Platnum, EVGA 6800GS,
Windows 64 bit Pro