Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Install XP x64 with removable C drive & Raid1 E Drive

Install XP x64 with removable C drive & Raid1 E Drive

Larry

The following question may be simple, but, I am very new to use of Raid
systems.

I currently have a three drive system setup with C-drive non-raid and the
E-drive is a Raid1/Mirror for my data/documents - WinXP 32-bit is the OS on
C. Drive D is my DVD/CD.

All but the DVD/CD are in removable cases.

I have another drive cartridge with harddrive which I want to tradeout with
the existing C-drive and install WinXP 64-bit on. I have all of the 64-bit
raid drivers for the system (will use F6 & floppy on start-up).

Now my question: If I install the new drive (with 64-bit XP) and setup the
two others as a Raid1/Mirror under this, will it cause me problems with the
data that currently resides on the two drives? If so, how do I set the
system up so that I can switch between the two OS's and still have my data
on the Raid1/Mirror?

Larry

Charlie Russel - MVP

Without knowing or studying the details of your data RAID setup, this answer
has to be somewhat generic, but with that caveat, here goes.

You need to use the tools of your RAID controller to create and activate the
RAID. This is apparently already done, since it is seen by 32-bit XP. Good.
Now, you pull out he 32-bit XP C: drive, and put in the new HD that will by
x64 C:. Put the CD in the CD/DVD drive, and power up. If your C: drive
doesn't require F6 drivers, do NOT use F6 at this point. Simply install XP
x64 Edition to C: as you would any other configuration. Pay no attention to
E: for the moment - we'll get back to it. (Note: if your C: drive also
requires F6 drivers, you should use F6 to install them, but do NOT add the
drivers for the E: drive yet.)

Great. Once the install is finished, and XP x64 boots up, log in. Windows
will probably (depending on the RAID model) detect the presence of "New
Hardware" that is your E: drive. If so, let it find the drivers
automatically, if it can, or provide them if necessary. If Windows does NOT
automatically detect new hardware, then iInsert a CD into D: with the x64
drivers for your RAID controller and run whatever driver installation
program it has. If it has no install program, just an INF, then use the Add
Hardware wizard from the control panel and eventually point to that INF.

What you do not want to do is anything that will disrupt the underlying RAID
configuration, or cause the E: drive to get formatted, obviously.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Larry wrote:
> The following question may be simple, but, I am very new to use of Raid
> systems.
>
> I currently have a three drive system setup with C-drive non-raid and the
> E-drive is a Raid1/Mirror for my data/documents - WinXP 32-bit is the OS
> on C. Drive D is my DVD/CD.
>
> All but the DVD/CD are in removable cases.
>
> I have another drive cartridge with harddrive which I want to tradeout
> with the existing C-drive and install WinXP 64-bit on. I have all of the
> 64-bit raid drivers for the system (will use F6 & floppy on start-up).
>
> Now my question: If I install the new drive (with 64-bit XP) and setup the
> two others as a Raid1/Mirror under this, will it cause me problems with
> the data that currently resides on the two drives? If so, how do I set the
> system up so that I can switch between the two OS's and still have my data
> on the Raid1/Mirror?
>
> Larry

Larry

Thank you.

So, after it finishes installing WINXPx64 and then when it sees the new
hardware, I could then insert the floppy and point the new hardware wizard
to it to install the drivers?

Larry
******************
FYI: Hardware

(1) Intel 975XBX motherboard w/Intel 955 EE processor - this has 4-ports
(0-3) onboard Intel Raid Controller & 4-ports (4-7) onboard SI SoftRaid
Controller.
(2) 2 sticks of 1GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2 memory
(3) Diamond Viper 512mb X1300 (ATI) PCIe Video Board
(4) SATA port 0 (C-Drive) - WD Raptor 76GB (10K rpm)
(5) SATA ports 1-2 (E-Drive) - 2 Seagate 250GB (7200 rpm) mirrored
(6) IDE DVD/CD (D-Drive)

******************

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

Charlie Russel - MVP

Yes.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Larry wrote:
> [...]
>>> systems.
>>>
>>> I currently have a three drive system setup with C-drive non-raid and
>>> the E-drive is a Raid1/Mirror for my data/documents - WinXP 32-bit is
>>> the OS on C. Drive D is my DVD/CD.
>>>
>>> All but the DVD/CD are in removable cases.
>>>
>>> I have another drive cartridge with harddrive which I want to tradeout
>>> with the existing C-drive and install WinXP 64-bit on. I have all of the
>>> 64-bit raid drivers for the system (will use F6 & floppy on start-up).
>>>
>>> Now my question: If I install the new drive (with 64-bit XP) and setup
>>> the
>>> two others as a Raid1/Mirror under this, will it cause me problems with
>>> the data that currently resides on the two drives? If so, how do I set
>>> the
>>> system up so that I can switch between the two OS's and still have my

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
The thing to be the most cautious of is the drive lettering and making sure
that that you do not format the RAID set by accident.
If the new drive is not partitioned, it will not appear as C drive in Setup
and will not get the drive letter C. The first hard drive partition will
get drive letter C which could be the RAID set volume. Setup will show the
drive (unless you need to add drivers via F6) and allow you to partition
and format it. But it gets the next available drive letter, which may be
E. ( after the Raid volume and DVD drive).
So if you want to be installed to C, the drive needs to partitioned before
starting setup, or setup needs to be restarted after partitioning, so that
drive volume is enumerated before the RAID volume.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
<From: "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)>
<Subject: Re: Install XP x64 with removable C drive & Raid1 E Drive
<Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 09:03:18 -0700
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
<
[...]
<--
<Charlie.
<http://msmvps.com/xperts64
<
<Larry wrote:
<> The following question may be simple, but, I am very new to use of Raid
<> systems.
<>
[...]

Thanks.

Larry

news:uyMPUl%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>
> Larry wrote:
>> Thank you.
>>
>> So, after it finishes installing WINXPx64 and then when it sees the new
>> hardware, I could then insert the floppy and point the new hardware
>> wizard
>> to it to install the drivers?
>>
>> Larry
>> ******************
>> FYI: Hardware
>>
>> (1) Intel 975XBX motherboard w/Intel 955 EE processor - this has 4-ports
>> (0-3) onboard Intel Raid Controller & 4-ports (4-7) onboard SI SoftRaid
>> Controller.
>> (2) 2 sticks of 1GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2 memory
>> (3) Diamond Viper 512mb X1300 (ATI) PCIe Video Board
>> (4) SATA port 0 (C-Drive) - WD Raptor 76GB (10K rpm)
>> (5) SATA ports 1-2 (E-Drive) - 2 Seagate 250GB (7200 rpm) mirrored
>> (6) IDE DVD/CD (D-Drive)
>>
>> ******************

>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Without knowing or studying the details of your data RAID setup, this
>>> answer has to be somewhat generic, but with that caveat, here goes.
>>>
>>> You need to use the tools of your RAID controller to create and activate
>>> the RAID. This is apparently already done, since it is seen by 32-bit
>>> XP.
>>> Good. Now, you pull out he 32-bit XP C: drive, and put in the new HD
>>> that
>>> will by x64 C:. Put the CD in the CD/DVD drive, and power up. If your C:
>>> drive doesn't require F6 drivers, do NOT use F6 at this point. Simply
>>> install XP x64 Edition to C: as you would any other configuration. Pay
>>> no
>>> attention to E: for the moment - we'll get back to it. (Note: if your C:
>>> drive also requires F6 drivers, you should use F6 to install them, but
>>> do
>>> NOT add the drivers for the E: drive yet.)
>>>
>>> Great. Once the install is finished, and XP x64 boots up, log in.
>>> Windows
>>> will probably (depending on the RAID model) detect the presence of "New
>>> Hardware" that is your E: drive. If so, let it find the drivers
>>> automatically, if it can, or provide them if necessary. If Windows does
>>> NOT automatically detect new hardware, then iInsert a CD into D: with
>>> the
>>> x64 drivers for your RAID controller and run whatever driver
>>> installation
>>> program it has. If it has no install program, just an INF, then use the
>>> Add Hardware wizard from the control panel and eventually point to that
>>> INF.
>>>
>>> What you do not want to do is anything that will disrupt the underlying
>>> RAID configuration, or cause the E: drive to get formatted, obviously.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Charlie.
>>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Larry

Darrell -

I'm not sure I understand - if I remove my existing C-Drive cartridge and
plug in a new un-partitioned drive in a cartridge into the same carrier
(port 0 - non-raid) during setup of WinXPx64, it won't give the new
un-partitioned drive the letter C because it will see the Raid1/Mirror
drives as the C-Drive?

During setup there won't be any drivers for the Raid1/Mirror.

If that is the case, should I remove the two Raid1/Mirror cartridges from
the system until after I setup WinXPx64?

Confused???

Larry

""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:VIrYXy%(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
> OS
> <> on C. Drive D is my DVD/CD.
> <>
> <> All but the DVD/CD are in removable cases.
> <>
> <> I have another drive cartridge with harddrive which I want to tradeout
> <> with the existing C-drive and install WinXP 64-bit on. I have all of
> the
> <> 64-bit raid drivers for the system (will use F6 & floppy on start-up).
> <>
> <> Now my question: If I install the new drive (with 64-bit XP) and setup
> the
> <> two others as a Raid1/Mirror under this, will it cause me problems with
> <> the data that currently resides on the two drives? If so, how do I set
> the
> <> system up so that I can switch between the two OS's and still have my

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Larry,
If the RAID1/Mirror drives require drivers and you do not supply them, then
setup will not see those drives so you shouldn't have an issue.
Sorry didn't catch the part of drivers being needed for the RAID1\Mirror
set.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
<From: "Larry" <oliverlATcoxDOTnet>
<Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 16:21:01 -0500
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
<
<Darrell -
<
[...]
<> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights
<> --------------------
<> <From: "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)>
<> <Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 09:03:18 -0700
<> <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
<> <
[...]
<> <--
<> <Charlie.
<> <http://msmvps.com/xperts64
<> <
<> <Larry wrote:
<> <> The following question may be simple, but, I am very new to use of
Raid
<> <> systems.
<> <>
[...]

I'll still keep a close watch and if necessary, let it partition and then
restart.

Larry

""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:BN2WI$(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
> <> <>
> <> <> I have another drive cartridge with harddrive which I want to
> tradeout
> <> <> with the existing C-drive and install WinXP 64-bit on. I have all of
> <> the
> <> <> 64-bit raid drivers for the system (will use F6 & floppy on
> start-up).
> <> <>
> <> <> Now my question: If I install the new drive (with 64-bit XP) and
> setup
> <> the
> <> <> two others as a Raid1/Mirror under this, will it cause me problems
> with
> <> <> the data that currently resides on the two drives? If so, how do I
> set
> <> the
> <> <> system up so that I can switch between the two OS's and still have

Charlie Russel - MVP

That's why I told him to NOT load the drivers first. It's the only way to be
sure it won't see the darn RAID and try to install there. Well, except turn
off the drives first, but this is cleaner.

And yes, I _have_ screwed myself doing this once. Only once, but it was
ugly.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64