Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Install order of XP, X64 and Office 2003 Server (trial)

Install order of XP, X64 and Office 2003 Server (trial)

- Bobb -

I currently have one system/one disk with X64 (C:\) and XP (D:\) on it.
Last time I backed up boot.ini etc from X64 install on C - installed XP
to D: , then overwrote the XP boot files back to the X64 version. How
about 2003 server - will /can I do the same thing ? Will X64 boot files
know of "2003 server " ?
I just downloaded 2003 server trial too and gonna build a new system
with the 3 on there.
I found that I didn't use X64 much ( missing drivers etc) , and
currently use XP 99% of the time - so gonna reinstall it all and put XP
on C: X64 on D , 2003 on E

X64 will wipe the others so I need to install it first but will
installing XP and 2003 over X64 cause a problem
So is order X64 then XP then Server 2003 OK ? I'll put X64 boot files
back on c: ?

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

XP x86 would have to be running Service Pack 2, Server 2003 - SP1 to avoid
overwriting the MBR older versions of Windows xp.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"- Bobb -" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I currently have one system/one disk with X64 (C:\) and XP (D:\) on it.
> Last time I backed up boot.ini etc from X64 install on C - installed XP to
> D: , then overwrote the XP boot files back to the X64 version. How about
> 2003 server - will /can I do the same thing ? Will X64 boot files know of
> "2003 server " ?
> I just downloaded 2003 server trial too and gonna build a new system with
> the 3 on there.
> I found that I didn't use X64 much ( missing drivers etc) , and currently
> use XP 99% of the time - so gonna reinstall it all and put XP on C: X64
> on D , 2003 on E
>
> X64 will wipe the others so I need to install it first but will installing
> XP and 2003 over X64 cause a problem
> So is order X64 then XP then Server 2003 OK ? I'll put X64 boot files
> back on c: ?

- Bobb -

" XP x86 would have to be running Service Pack 2"

Did you mean X64 ? I have early X64 so probably Sp0 or Sp1 on CD.
So I would have to install it first , then XP, then 2003 ?

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> XP x86 would have to be running Service Pack 2, Server 2003 - SP1 to
> avoid overwriting the MBR older versions of Windows xp.
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
> FAQ for MS AntiSpy
>
> "- Bobb -" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> I currently have one system/one disk with X64 (C:\) and XP (D:\) on
>> it.
>> Last time I backed up boot.ini etc from X64 install on C - installed
>> XP to D: , then overwrote the XP boot files back to the X64 version.
>> How about 2003 server - will /can I do the same thing ? Will X64 boot
>> files know of "2003 server " ?
>> I just downloaded 2003 server trial too and gonna build a new system
>> with the 3 on there.
>> I found that I didn't use X64 much ( missing drivers etc) , and
>> currently use XP 99% of the time - so gonna reinstall it all and put
>> XP on C: X64 on D , 2003 on E
>>
>> X64 will wipe the others so I need to install it first but will
>> installing XP and 2003 over X64 cause a problem
>> So is order X64 then XP then Server 2003 OK ? I'll put X64 boot
>> files back on c: ?

Charlie Russel - MVP

See my blog on multi-boot. 32bit first, then 64bit. XP before Server.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

- Bobb - wrote:
> " XP x86 would have to be running Service Pack 2"
>
> Did you mean X64 ? I have early X64 so probably Sp0 or Sp1 on CD.
> So I would have to install it first , then XP, then 2003 ?

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> XP x86 would have to be running Service Pack 2, Server 2003 - SP1 to
>> avoid overwriting the MBR older versions of Windows xp.
>> --
>> Andre
>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>> FAQ for MS AntiSpy
>>
>> "- Bobb -" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> I currently have one system/one disk with X64 (C:\) and XP (D:\) on
>>> it.
>>> Last time I backed up boot.ini etc from X64 install on C - installed
>>> XP to D: , then overwrote the XP boot files back to the X64 version.
>>> How about 2003 server - will /can I do the same thing ? Will X64 boot
>>> files know of "2003 server " ?
>>> I just downloaded 2003 server trial too and gonna build a new system
>>> with the 3 on there.
>>> I found that I didn't use X64 much ( missing drivers etc) , and
>>> currently use XP 99% of the time - so gonna reinstall it all and put
>>> XP on C: X64 on D , 2003 on E
>>>
>>> X64 will wipe the others so I need to install it first but will
>>> installing XP and 2003 over X64 cause a problem
>>> So is order X64 then XP then Server 2003 OK ? I'll put X64 boot
>>> files back on c: ?

- Bobb -

Thanks Charlie - I'm there now:
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/sea...multi-boot&p=1

But I thought X64 wiped my disk during install ? ( it's been a while)
BTW, I've watched a few of your webcasts over the past few months - very
useful thanks

"Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> See my blog on multi-boot. 32bit first, then 64bit. XP before Server.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>
> - Bobb - wrote:
>> " XP x86 would have to be running Service Pack 2"
>>
>> Did you mean X64 ? I have early X64 so probably Sp0 or Sp1 on CD.
>> So I would have to install it first , then XP, then 2003 ?

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> XP x86 would have to be running Service Pack 2, Server 2003 - SP1 to
>>> avoid overwriting the MBR older versions of Windows xp.
>>> --
>>> Andre
>>> FAQ for MS AntiSpy
>>> http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
>>>
>>> "- Bobb -" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Charlie Russel - MVP

It need not wipe your disk. But it WILL wipe out any existing Windows
related folders.

Make sure you put each OS on its own partition.

And I'm glad you found them useful.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

- Bobb - wrote:
> Thanks Charlie - I'm there now:
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/sea...multi-boot&p=1
>
> But I thought X64 wiped my disk during install ? ( it's been a while)
> BTW, I've watched a few of your webcasts over the past few months - very
> useful thanks
>

> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> See my blog on multi-boot. 32bit first, then 64bit. XP before Server.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>
>> - Bobb - wrote:
>>> " XP x86 would have to be running Service Pack 2"
>>>
>>> Did you mean X64 ? I have early X64 so probably Sp0 or Sp1 on CD.
>>> So I would have to install it first , then XP, then 2003 ?
>>>

>>> "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Depends on if you chose to do that during the text based portion of setup.
There are a few available options depending on the configuration you, you
could have choosen to install to a separate partition, repair the existing
installation.

I know that if you have XP Professional x64 installed first, and the install
XP x86 after without a compatible Service Pack integrated on the disk such
as SP2 or Server 2003 SP1, it will wipe out the boot loader. What you can do
though, is boot off the Windows XP Pro x64 CD, go into the recovery console,
log in as the local Administrator, use the bootcfg /rebuild command, and
repair each boot entry for the installed versions of Windows on your hard
disk. Multiple entries will be created, but you can fix and remove the
unnecessary ones by going to, Start > Control Panel > System > Advanced >
under "Startup and Recovery" click > Settings > under "System startup" >
click Edit > remove the old entries, save the file and exit.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"- Bobb -" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks Charlie - I'm there now:
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/sea...multi-boot&p=1
>
> But I thought X64 wiped my disk during install ? ( it's been a while)
> BTW, I've watched a few of your webcasts over the past few months - very
> useful thanks

> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> See my blog on multi-boot. 32bit first, then 64bit. XP before Server.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>
>> - Bobb - wrote:
>>> " XP x86 would have to be running Service Pack 2"
>>>
>>> Did you mean X64 ? I have early X64 so probably Sp0 or Sp1 on CD.
>>> So I would have to install it first , then XP, then 2003 ?
>>>

>>> "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

John Barnes

You still have to have the x64 versions of ntldr and ntdetect.com also to
boot.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Depends on if you chose to do that during the text based portion of setup.
> There are a few available options depending on the configuration you, you
> could have choosen to install to a separate partition, repair the existing
> installation.
>
> I know that if you have XP Professional x64 installed first, and the
> install XP x86 after without a compatible Service Pack integrated on the
> disk such as SP2 or Server 2003 SP1, it will wipe out the boot loader.
> What you can do though, is boot off the Windows XP Pro x64 CD, go into the
> recovery console, log in as the local Administrator, use the bootcfg
> /rebuild command, and repair each boot entry for the installed versions of
> Windows on your hard disk. Multiple entries will be created, but you can
> fix and remove the unnecessary ones by going to, Start > Control Panel >
> System > Advanced > under "Startup and Recovery" click > Settings > under
> "System startup" > click Edit > remove the old entries, save the file and
> exit.
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>
> "- Bobb -" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Thanks Charlie - I'm there now:
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/sea...multi-boot&p=1
>>
>> But I thought X64 wiped my disk during install ? ( it's been a while)
>> BTW, I've watched a few of your webcasts over the past few months - very
>> useful thanks

>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> See my blog on multi-boot. 32bit first, then 64bit. XP before Server.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Charlie.
>>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64

- Bobb -

Thanks guys.

I'm printing/saving these messages to a folder as I haven't messed with
recovery console before - and since I'm reinstalling probably a good
idea to play with it then - if I blow it up it's no big deal. My
install XP Cd had SP1 only, but I've downloaded and slipstreamed SP2 -
haven't tried the CD yet - hopefully I followed the instructions
properly and it'll work Ok. (Gonna unplug my current drive and install
to a backup - just in case)

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Depends on if you chose to do that during the text based portion of
> setup. There are a few available options depending on the
> configuration you, you could have choosen to install to a separate
> partition, repair the existing installation.
>
> I know that if you have XP Professional x64 installed first, and the
> install XP x86 after without a compatible Service Pack integrated on
> the disk such as SP2 or Server 2003 SP1, it will wipe out the boot
> loader. What you can do though, is boot off the Windows XP Pro x64 CD,
> go into the recovery console, log in as the local Administrator, use
> the bootcfg /rebuild command, and repair each boot entry for the
> installed versions of Windows on your hard disk. Multiple entries will
> be created, but you can fix and remove the unnecessary ones by going
> to, Start > Control Panel > System > Advanced > under "Startup and
> Recovery" click > Settings > under "System startup" > click Edit >
> remove the old entries, save the file and exit.
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
> FAQ for MS AntiSpy
>
> "- Bobb -" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Thanks Charlie - I'm there now:
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/sea...multi-boot&p=1
>>
>> But I thought X64 wiped my disk during install ? ( it's been a while)
>> BTW, I've watched a few of your webcasts over the past few months -
>> very useful thanks
>>

>> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> message news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> See my blog on multi-boot. 32bit first, then 64bit. XP before
>>> Server.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Charlie.
>>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Ahh, thanks for that important bit of info John.