Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > System Process CPU Affinity on 64-bit O/S

System Process CPU Affinity on 64-bit O/S

Ged

Hi all

Whilst working on a small project, I came across an issue with setting the
cpu affinity for the "system" process on a 64-bit machine.
Setting the CPU affinity to CPU 0 (or any single cpu on a multi cpu
machine), windows will BSOD with "INVALID_AFFINITY_SET" error.

Has anyone else come across this, or is willing to attempt to reproduce on
their machine to confirm it ?

Steps to reproduce :
1. Start up task manager as as system user (use the "at" command).
2. Right click on "system" process and select "Set Affinity..."
3. Select 1 CPU and unselect the others.
4. Sit back and wait - takes approx 20 - 60 seconds.

NB The same thing can be reproduced from code by calling
SetProcessAffinityMask.

Hardware : DELL Precision 380
O/S : Windows 2003 Server Enterprise Edition 64-bit (version 5.2 Build
3790.srv03_sp1_rtm.050324-1447 : Service Pack 1)
CPU : Intel Pentium D CPU 3.20GHz

Bios setting : Dual Core = ON, Hyperthreading = ON

Thanks

Ged

Peter Lawton

Strange, it works fine on my multi core AMD systems

Peter Lawton

"Ged" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all
>
> Whilst working on a small project, I came across an issue with setting the
> cpu affinity for the "system" process on a 64-bit machine.
> Setting the CPU affinity to CPU 0 (or any single cpu on a multi cpu
> machine), windows will BSOD with "INVALID_AFFINITY_SET" error.
>
> Has anyone else come across this, or is willing to attempt to reproduce on
> their machine to confirm it ?
>
> Steps to reproduce :
> 1. Start up task manager as as system user (use the "at" command).
> 2. Right click on "system" process and select "Set Affinity..."
> 3. Select 1 CPU and unselect the others.
> 4. Sit back and wait - takes approx 20 - 60 seconds.
>
> NB The same thing can be reproduced from code by calling
> SetProcessAffinityMask.
>
> Hardware : DELL Precision 380
> O/S : Windows 2003 Server Enterprise Edition 64-bit (version 5.2 Build
> 3790.srv03_sp1_rtm.050324-1447 : Service Pack 1)
> CPU : Intel Pentium D CPU 3.20GHz
>
> Bios setting : Dual Core = ON, Hyperthreading = ON
>
> Thanks
>
> Ged

Ged

Thanks for replying.

I've managed to reproduce this on a different machine.
Running XP 64 and 2K3 Ent Ed 64 with the same results.
The new machine has an Intel Xeon under the hood.

I'll see if I can find an AMD machine to test it on.
Has anyone else seen this happen on an Intel machine ?

Cheers

Ged

"Peter Lawton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Strange, it works fine on my multi core AMD systems
>
> Peter Lawton
>
> "Ged" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi all
>>
>> Whilst working on a small project, I came across an issue with setting
>> the cpu affinity for the "system" process on a 64-bit machine.
>> Setting the CPU affinity to CPU 0 (or any single cpu on a multi cpu
>> machine), windows will BSOD with "INVALID_AFFINITY_SET" error.
>>
>> Has anyone else come across this, or is willing to attempt to reproduce
>> on their machine to confirm it ?
>>
>> Steps to reproduce :
>> 1. Start up task manager as as system user (use the "at" command).
>> 2. Right click on "system" process and select "Set Affinity..."
>> 3. Select 1 CPU and unselect the others.
>> 4. Sit back and wait - takes approx 20 - 60 seconds.
>>
>> NB The same thing can be reproduced from code by calling
>> SetProcessAffinityMask.
>>
>> Hardware : DELL Precision 380
>> O/S : Windows 2003 Server Enterprise Edition 64-bit (version 5.2 Build
>> 3790.srv03_sp1_rtm.050324-1447 : Service Pack 1)
>> CPU : Intel Pentium D CPU 3.20GHz
>>
>> Bios setting : Dual Core = ON, Hyperthreading = ON
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Ged

-nos1eep

It is further alleged that on or about Wed, 12 Apr 2006 11:46:00
+0100, in microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general, the queezy keyboard
of "Ged" <(E-Mail Removed)> spewed the following:

|Thanks for replying.
|
|I've managed to reproduce this on a different machine.
|Running XP 64 and 2K3 Ent Ed 64 with the same results.
|The new machine has an Intel Xeon under the hood.
|
|I'll see if I can find an AMD machine to test it on.
|Has anyone else seen this happen on an Intel machine ?

AFAIK you cannot set affinity for system processes, my AMD x2 running
x64 simply denies access. Have a root around this link.
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topi...571&l=en&s=hea
--
-nos1eep

Ged

Did you start task manager as the system account i.e. using the at command :

at 11:20 /interactive "taskmgr.exe"

....but changing the time to something more suitable ?

Just starting it as administrator won't allow you to change the affinity for
"system". You will get an "Access is denied" message.
Although, I can do it from code with no problems using
SetProcessAffinityMask.

Cheers for the link.
I've had a look round it, but it seems to refer to Windows System Resource
Manager for CPU affinity management.
I can't find that on my Dell machine, so I'm assuming it is a Dell utility
that needs to be installed.
I cannot assume that it will be installed on any destination machines, so I
cannot utilise it.
Also, it doubt it would prevent me from setting the affinity via code.

Cheers

Ged

"-nos1eep" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It is further alleged that on or about Wed, 12 Apr 2006 11:46:00
> +0100, in microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general, the queezy keyboard
> of "Ged" <(E-Mail Removed)> spewed the following:
>
> |Thanks for replying.
> |
> |I've managed to reproduce this on a different machine.
> |Running XP 64 and 2K3 Ent Ed 64 with the same results.
> |The new machine has an Intel Xeon under the hood.
> |
> |I'll see if I can find an AMD machine to test it on.
> |Has anyone else seen this happen on an Intel machine ?
>
> AFAIK you cannot set affinity for system processes, my AMD x2 running
> x64 simply denies access. Have a root around this link.
> http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topi...571&l=en&s=hea
> --
> -nos1eep

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
For Windows System Resource Manager you can start here:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/dow...srvr/wsrm.mspx

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
<From: "Ged" <(E-Mail Removed)>
<Subject: Re: System Process CPU Affinity on 64-bit O/S
<Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 10:01:49 +0100
<Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.platformsdk.shell,microsoft.publi c.windows.64bit.general
<
<Did you start task manager as the system account i.e. using the at command
:
<
[...]
<>
<> |Thanks for replying.
<> |
<> |I've managed to reproduce this on a different machine.
<> |Running XP 64 and 2K3 Ent Ed 64 with the same results.
<> |The new machine has an Intel Xeon under the hood.
<> |
<> |I'll see if I can find an AMD machine to test it on.
<> |Has anyone else seen this happen on an Intel machine ?
<>
<> AFAIK you cannot set affinity for system processes, my AMD x2 running
<> x64 simply denies access. Have a root around this link.
<>
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topi...3q03_wsrm?c=us
&cs=RC968571&l=en&s=hea
<> --