Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Win XP64 bit licence

Win XP64 bit licence

=?Utf-8?B?TGluIExp?=

Hi,

I have discovered that Win XP64 bit OEM requires hardware (e.g. a computer)
to be sold with it. Therefore, for home users, how do we purchase the retail
version? If there isn't a retail version, then what do we do? A while ago it
was possible to upgrade from Win XP to WinXP64, but that finished on 31 July
2005.

TIA.

DP

I have no experience with this, and I don't even know if it's legal. I'm
sure there are others on this group who can speak knowledgeably on this
subject.
I've heard that if you buy a piece of computer equipment from a company,
that authorizes them to sell you the OEM version of software. Not just OS's
but things like Quicken, Works, etc. Buying a part may be something as small
as a floppy drive (how much are those these days? About $20?) or a stick of
memory. If you have need for a new hard drive, video card, mobo, that would
be another way to do this.
As I said, I've only heard about such things and have never bought software
that way. There may be cautions as well, like product support.

You might look on the sites of some of the reputable parts dealers and see
if they offer OEM software and see if they require you to purchase some kind
of "hardware." If it was a dealer of the caliber of say, New Egg or
Cyberguys, then I'd think it's all on the up-and-up. On the other hand, I
certainly wouldn't be buying OEM from somebody who sent you some spam.

"Lin Li" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I have discovered that Win XP64 bit OEM requires hardware (e.g. a
> computer)
> to be sold with it. Therefore, for home users, how do we purchase the
> retail
> version? If there isn't a retail version, then what do we do? A while ago
> it
> was possible to upgrade from Win XP to WinXP64, but that finished on 31
> July
> 2005.
>
> TIA.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

There isn't a retail version of Windows XP Professional x64, its distributed
only as an OEM license, which means you need to acquire it with qualifying
hardware such as a Mouse, Motherboard or hard disk. There is also no upgrade
path from x86 Windows XP Professional, the TAP Program that ended July 31st
required that you exchanged your Windows XP Professional x86 license for
Windows XP Professional x64, by doing this, your Windows XP Professional x86
license would be deactivated.
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"Lin Li" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I have discovered that Win XP64 bit OEM requires hardware (e.g. a
> computer)
> to be sold with it. Therefore, for home users, how do we purchase the
> retail
> version? If there isn't a retail version, then what do we do? A while ago
> it
> was possible to upgrade from Win XP to WinXP64, but that finished on 31
> July
> 2005.
>
> TIA.

=?Utf-8?B?TGluIExp?=

Thanks for this. It looks like we've made a mistake. We purchased an OEM
version from someone else without any hardware. They had installed it on
their PC but then uninstalled it. However they had already registered the
product using the product key (that 25 alpha-numeric string). So when we went
to do this compulsory registration and entered the product key, it came back
saying that the key was invalid. So would it be correct to say we either
return the software to the seller, or ring Microsoft and humbly ask for their
help?

Alternatively, would sites like newegg, or directron be reputable places to
go and buy the OEM version?

"Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:

> There isn't a retail version of Windows XP Professional x64, its distributed
> only as an OEM license, which means you need to acquire it with qualifying
> hardware such as a Mouse, Motherboard or hard disk. There is also no upgrade
> path from x86 Windows XP Professional, the TAP Program that ended July 31st
> required that you exchanged your Windows XP Professional x86 license for
> Windows XP Professional x64, by doing this, your Windows XP Professional x86
> license would be deactivated.
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>
> "Lin Li" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have discovered that Win XP64 bit OEM requires hardware (e.g. a
> > computer)
> > to be sold with it. Therefore, for home users, how do we purchase the
> > retail
> > version? If there isn't a retail version, then what do we do? A while ago
> > it
> > was possible to upgrade from Win XP to WinXP64, but that finished on 31
> > July
> > 2005.
> >
> > TIA.

David R. Norton MVP

Lin Li <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Thanks for this. It looks like we've made a mistake. We purchased
> an OEM version from someone else without any hardware. They had
> installed it on their PC but then uninstalled it. However they had
> already registered the product using the product key (that 25
> alpha-numeric string). So when we went to do this compulsory
> registration and entered the product key, it came back saying that
> the key was invalid. So would it be correct to say we either
> return the software to the seller, or ring Microsoft and humbly
> ask for their help?

Yes, preferrably the first option.

> Alternatively, would sites like newegg, or directron be reputable
> places to go and buy the OEM version?

Newegg, yes. I don't have personal experience with the second place
but I'm sure someone else here will have and can share their experience
with you.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Its worth a try calling them and give them a reasonable explanation,
although I think the OEM license agreement specifies that support comes from
the vendor you purchased the software from. Its still worth a try though,
although you wait 120 days when the Activation on MS Servers recycles and
try activating again.

As for purchasing the software, my experience with Directron has been good,
no problems, thats where I bought my license with a Dell PS/2 mouse as
qualifying hardware.
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"Lin Li" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for this. It looks like we've made a mistake. We purchased an OEM
> version from someone else without any hardware. They had installed it on
> their PC but then uninstalled it. However they had already registered the
> product using the product key (that 25 alpha-numeric string). So when we
> went
> to do this compulsory registration and entered the product key, it came
> back
> saying that the key was invalid. So would it be correct to say we either
> return the software to the seller, or ring Microsoft and humbly ask for
> their
> help?
>
> Alternatively, would sites like newegg, or directron be reputable places
> go and buy the OEM version?
>
> "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:
>
>> There isn't a retail version of Windows XP Professional x64, its
>> distributed
>> only as an OEM license, which means you need to acquire it with
>> qualifying
>> hardware such as a Mouse, Motherboard or hard disk. There is also no
>> upgrade
>> path from x86 Windows XP Professional, the TAP Program that ended July
>> 31st
>> required that you exchanged your Windows XP Professional x86 license for
>> Windows XP Professional x64, by doing this, your Windows XP Professional
>> x86
>> license would be deactivated.
>> --
>> --
>> Andre
>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>>
>> "Lin Li" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I have discovered that Win XP64 bit OEM requires hardware (e.g. a
>> > computer)
>> > to be sold with it. Therefore, for home users, how do we purchase the
>> > retail
>> > version? If there isn't a retail version, then what do we do? A while
>> > ago
>> > it
>> > was possible to upgrade from Win XP to WinXP64, but that finished on 31
>> > July
>> > 2005.
>> >
>> > TIA.

Charlie Russel - MVP

Both those outlets are reputable and provide good value for money. I've
bought from both.

Return the software to the vendor that sold it to you, and demand your money
back. If they give you a hard time, bang them in to http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Lin Li wrote:
> Thanks for this. It looks like we've made a mistake. We purchased an OEM
> version from someone else without any hardware. They had installed it on
> their PC but then uninstalled it. However they had already registered the
> product using the product key (that 25 alpha-numeric string). So when we
> went to do this compulsory registration and entered the product key, it
> came back saying that the key was invalid. So would it be correct to say
> we either return the software to the seller, or ring Microsoft and humbly
> ask for their help?
>
> Alternatively, would sites like newegg, or directron be reputable places
> to go and buy the OEM version?
>
> "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:
>
>> There isn't a retail version of Windows XP Professional x64, its
>> distributed only as an OEM license, which means you need to acquire it
>> with qualifying hardware such as a Mouse, Motherboard or hard disk.
>> There is also no upgrade path from x86 Windows XP Professional, the TAP
>> Program that ended July 31st required that you exchanged your Windows XP
>> Professional x86 license for Windows XP Professional x64, by doing this,
>> your Windows XP Professional x86 license would be deactivated.
>> --
>> --
>> Andre
>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>>
>> "Lin Li" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have discovered that Win XP64 bit OEM requires hardware (e.g. a
>>> computer)
>>> to be sold with it. Therefore, for home users, how do we purchase the
>>> retail
>>> version? If there isn't a retail version, then what do we do? A while
>>> ago it
>>> was possible to upgrade from Win XP to WinXP64, but that finished on 31
>>> July
>>> 2005.
>>>
>>> TIA.

Kevin John Panzke

You can buy an Authentic OEM Copy of Windows XP 64-Bit Edition from
Newegg.com (If you live in the U.S.A.). The purchase will come with a Proof
of Licence Sticker containing both A Certificate of Authenticity and your
Product Key. The OS will most likely be packaged with a New Power Cord for
your PC (which you will also have to pay for as well as the OS).

"Lin Li" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I have discovered that Win XP64 bit OEM requires hardware (e.g. a
> computer)
> to be sold with it. Therefore, for home users, how do we purchase the
> retail
> version? If there isn't a retail version, then what do we do? A while ago
> it
> was possible to upgrade from Win XP to WinXP64, but that finished on 31
> July
> 2005.
>
> TIA.

Bruce Chambers

Lin Li wrote:
> Thanks for this. It looks like we've made a mistake. We purchased an OEM
> version from someone else without any hardware. They had installed it on
> their PC but then uninstalled it. However they had already registered the
> product using the product key (that 25 alpha-numeric string). So when we went
> to do this compulsory registration and entered the product key, it came back
> saying that the key was invalid. So would it be correct to say we either
> return the software to the seller, or ring Microsoft and humbly ask for their
> help?

You'll need to return the software to the seller; Microsoft won't
assist you , as an OEM license is permanently bound to the first
computer on which it is installed, and can never legitimately be
transferred to any other computer, under any circumstances.

> Alternatively, would sites like newegg, or directron be reputable places to
> go and buy the OEM version?

NewEgg, yes; I'm not familiar with Directron.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm