Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > A disk read error ???

A disk read error ???

renton79

Hi

I've just downloaded trial vversion of windows xp 64-Bit edition and
tried to install it but after first part of installation (formating and
copying files on to the hdd) when is first reboot, installation doesn't
start i got this error:

A disk read error
use ctrl+alt+del to reboot

Disk is fine phisicaly i checked it so i don't know what is the
problem.

my spec is:
amd 4400+ x2
abit fatal1ty sli an8
4gb ram
hdd samsung spinpoint 20gb SV2042H (this is my old hdd just for this
trial test)

if any one knows what is the problem please write me back i really
would like to try 64bit win

renton79

Rick

Most likely the download is corrupted. There is no way for you to
verify, that I know of, that you have a good image. The best thing to
do is download the image again and burn at a low speed - 4x or 8x.

renton79 wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've just downloaded trial vversion of windows xp 64-Bit edition and
> tried to install it but after first part of installation (formating and
> copying files on to the hdd) when is first reboot, installation doesn't
> start i got this error:
>
> A disk read error
> use ctrl+alt+del to reboot
>
> Disk is fine phisicaly i checked it so i don't know what is the
> problem.
>
> my spec is:
> amd 4400+ x2
> abit fatal1ty sli an8
> 4gb ram
> hdd samsung spinpoint 20gb SV2042H (this is my old hdd just for this
> trial test)
>
> if any one knows what is the problem please write me back i really
> would like to try 64bit win
>
> renton79

renton79

i'll try as you say. thanks

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
I am not sure this is a burning issue or an iso issue. If I understand
this correctly we get the error when try to reboot the first time from the
hard drive.
If that is correct, we aren't getting to first file to load ( NTLDR).
We are having issues when trying to boot the hard drive. I would look to
see if the hard drive was configured with sofware or is using some type of
emulation software. I would check how the hard drive is configured in the
bios.( heads, cylinders, sectors per track are not correct or the emulation
of those are not correct)

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
<From: "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <(E-Mail Removed)>
<Subject: Re: A disk read error ???
<Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 11:57:54 -0700
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
<
<Doesn't necessarily have to be a bad download. I have downloaded Vista
ISO's
<some refused install when I burn them, simply because of the quality
media,
<or the burn speed used as you mentioned. I would recommend renton79 reburn
<the existing ISO, at a low speed possible, 2x, also, don't burn during a
lot
<of activity such as having multiple programs open doing stuff.
<--
<--
<Andre
<Windows Connected | http://www.windowsconnected.com
<Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
<Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre
<http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
<
<"Rick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
<news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
<> Most likely the download is corrupted. There is no way for you to
verify,
<> that I know of, that you have a good image. The best thing to do is
<> download the image again and burn at a low speed - 4x or 8x.
<>
<>
<> renton79 wrote:
<>> Hi
<>>
[...]

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Doesn't necessarily have to be a bad download. I have downloaded Vista ISO's
some refused install when I burn them, simply because of the quality media,
or the burn speed used as you mentioned. I would recommend renton79 reburn
the existing ISO, at a low speed possible, 2x, also, don't burn during a lot
of activity such as having multiple programs open doing stuff.
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Most likely the download is corrupted. There is no way for you to verify,
> that I know of, that you have a good image. The best thing to do is
> download the image again and burn at a low speed - 4x or 8x.
>

> renton79 wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I've just downloaded trial vversion of windows xp 64-Bit edition and
>> tried to install it but after first part of installation (formating and
>> copying files on to the hdd) when is first reboot, installation doesn't
>> start i got this error:
>>
>> A disk read error
>> use ctrl+alt+del to reboot
>>
>> Disk is fine phisicaly i checked it so i don't know what is the
>> problem.
>>
>> my spec is:
>> amd 4400+ x2
>> abit fatal1ty sli an8
>> 4gb ram
>> hdd samsung spinpoint 20gb SV2042H (this is my old hdd just for this
>> trial test)
>>
>> if any one knows what is the problem please write me back i really
>> would like to try 64bit win
>>
>> renton79

Mark Gillespie

On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 17:04:49 +0100, Rick <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> Most likely the download is corrupted. There is no way for you to
> verify, that I know of, that you have a good image.

There is it's called MD5SUM, if only Microsoft posted MD5SUM's for their
large downloads, users can check the integrety of their large downloaded
files.

As it happens, I have a cheesy MD5SUM checker I wrote on my homepage...
http://www.markgillespie.co.uk

----------------
http:\\www.rockhangouts.com
------------------------------------

Mark Gillespie

On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 22:46:16 +0100, Mark Gillespie
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> As it happens, I have a cheesy MD5SUM checker I wrote on my homepage....
> http://www.markgillespie.co.uk

Have updated the MD5 checksum tool on my website to V2, which includes a
few new features, and a x64 port, which may be of use, as MD5 checking is
quite CPU intensive, and may benefit from the extra registers x64
provides. Might benchmark the 2 versions, if I get bored tommorrow...

Rick

If Microsoft provided the MD5SUM then I would have said to verify your
download using a program to produce an MD5SUM on the downloaded file and
compare it to the one Microsoft posted.

I said I did not know of any way to verify the download because there is
no reference to compare it to!

Mark Gillespie wrote:
> On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 17:04:49 +0100, Rick
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Most likely the download is corrupted. There is no way for you to
>> verify, that I know of, that you have a good image.

> There is it's called MD5SUM, if only Microsoft posted MD5SUM's for their
> large downloads, users can check the integrety of their large downloaded
> files.
>
> As it happens, I have a cheesy MD5SUM checker I wrote on my homepage...
> http://www.markgillespie.co.uk
>

> ----------------
> http:\\www.rockhangouts.com
> ------------------------------------

Rick

What good is an MD5SUM generator if you have no reference to compare it to?

You have to have a reference to make a comparison. You can generate
your own MD5SUM 'til the cows come home, but you won't prove anything
with out a reference!

Mark Gillespie wrote:
> On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 22:46:16 +0100, Mark Gillespie
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> As it happens, I have a cheesy MD5SUM checker I wrote on my
>> homepage... http://www.markgillespie.co.uk
>>

> Have updated the MD5 checksum tool on my website to V2, which includes a
> few new features, and a x64 port, which may be of use, as MD5 checking
> is quite CPU intensive, and may benefit from the extra registers x64
> provides. Might benchmark the 2 versions, if I get bored tommorrow...
>
> --Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/

Mark Gillespie

On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 15:49:36 +0100, Rick <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> What good is an MD5SUM generator if you have no reference to compare it
> to?
>
> You have to have a reference to make a comparison. You can generate
> your own MD5SUM 'til the cows come home, but you won't prove anything
> with out a reference!
>

> Mark Gillespie wrote:
>> On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 22:46:16 +0100, Mark Gillespie
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> As it happens, I have a cheesy MD5SUM checker I wrote on my
>>> homepage... http://www.markgillespie.co.uk
>>>

>> Have updated the MD5 checksum tool on my website to V2, which includes
>> a few new features, and a x64 port, which may be of use, as MD5
>> checking is quite CPU intensive, and may benefit from the extra
>> registers x64 provides. Might benchmark the 2 versions, if I get bored
>> tommorrow...
>> --Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/

Indeed, which is why in my 1st post, I said "if only Microsoft posted
MD5SUM's for their large downloads, users can check the integrety of their
large downloaded files."

Many companies DO however publish MD5SUM for downlaods.