Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > News server maintenance

News server maintenance

Charlie Russel - MVP

Microsoft has a planned maintenance for the msnews.microsoft.com NNTP
services on Tuesday, April 04, 2006. Planned is a migration of the current
servers to a new cluster between 10:30 AM PDT to 4:00 PM PDT. During this
period of time, posts may be slower than usual in replication.

Newsgroups, such as this one, are hosted primarily by the Microsoft servers,
though replicated throughout the world by various services which may be
provided on a subscription basis by your Internet Service Provider or other
paid NNTP newsgroup access avenues.

(thanks, Chris H.<g>)
--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Tony Sperling

Thanks, and PDT being what? Some nine hours behind GMT?

Tony. . .

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Microsoft has a planned maintenance for the msnews.microsoft.com NNTP
> services on Tuesday, April 04, 2006. Planned is a migration of the
> current
> servers to a new cluster between 10:30 AM PDT to 4:00 PM PDT. During this
> period of time, posts may be slower than usual in replication.
>
> Newsgroups, such as this one, are hosted primarily by the Microsoft
> servers,
> though replicated throughout the world by various services which may be
> provided on a subscription basis by your Internet Service Provider or
> other
> paid NNTP newsgroup access avenues.
>
> (thanks, Chris H.<g>)
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64

John Barnes

Some 7 hours behind GMT

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks, and PDT being what? Some nine hours behind GMT?
>
> Tony. . .

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Microsoft has a planned maintenance for the msnews.microsoft.com NNTP
>> services on Tuesday, April 04, 2006. Planned is a migration of the
>> current
>> servers to a new cluster between 10:30 AM PDT to 4:00 PM PDT. During
>> this
>> period of time, posts may be slower than usual in replication.
>>
>> Newsgroups, such as this one, are hosted primarily by the Microsoft
>> servers,
>> though replicated throughout the world by various services which may be
>> provided on a subscription basis by your Internet Service Provider or
>> other
>> paid NNTP newsgroup access avenues.
>>
>> (thanks, Chris H.<g>)
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Rick

Pacific Standard Time (PST) is GMT - 08:00 hrs. So I think Pacific
Daylight Time (PDT) would be GMT - 07:00 hrs since you move up, or add,
1 hour.

Tony Sperling wrote:
> Thanks, and PDT being what? Some nine hours behind GMT?
>
> Tony. . .

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Microsoft has a planned maintenance for the msnews.microsoft.com NNTP
>> services on Tuesday, April 04, 2006. Planned is a migration of the
>> current
>> servers to a new cluster between 10:30 AM PDT to 4:00 PM PDT. During this
>> period of time, posts may be slower than usual in replication.
>>
>> Newsgroups, such as this one, are hosted primarily by the Microsoft
>> servers,
>> though replicated throughout the world by various services which may be
>> provided on a subscription basis by your Internet Service Provider or
>> other
>> paid NNTP newsgroup access avenues.
>>
>> (thanks, Chris H.<g>)
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Tony Sperling

Oh, not more at that. Thank you!

Tony. . .

news:%233j4mP%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Some 7 hours behind GMT

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Thanks, and PDT being what? Some nine hours behind GMT?
>>
>> Tony. . .

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Microsoft has a planned maintenance for the msnews.microsoft.com NNTP
>>> services on Tuesday, April 04, 2006. Planned is a migration of the
>>> current
>>> servers to a new cluster between 10:30 AM PDT to 4:00 PM PDT. During
>>> this
>>> period of time, posts may be slower than usual in replication.
>>>
>>> Newsgroups, such as this one, are hosted primarily by the Microsoft
>>> servers,
>>> though replicated throughout the world by various services which may be
>>> provided on a subscription basis by your Internet Service Provider or
>>> other
>>> paid NNTP newsgroup access avenues.
>>>
>>> (thanks, Chris H.<g>)
>>> --
>>> Charlie.
>>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Tony Sperling

Yes, precisely. At first I was surprised when John said 7. I know no
adjustment is made to GMT, but in the back of my mind I still reckoned with
my own time, and DST or not that is still 8.

Thanks!

Tony. . .

news:OVqtKf%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Pacific Standard Time (PST) is GMT - 08:00 hrs. So I think Pacific
> Daylight Time (PDT) would be GMT - 07:00 hrs since you move up, or add, 1
> hour.
>

> Tony Sperling wrote:
>> Thanks, and PDT being what? Some nine hours behind GMT?
>>
>> Tony. . .

Charlie Russel - MVP

no, we probably won't even notice. their NNTP is pretty redundant. But we
may see some synch issues. I'm not particularly concerned.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
> Hi Charlie,
>
> Should we be scared?
>
> Thanks

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Microsoft has a planned maintenance for the msnews.microsoft.com NNTP
>> services on Tuesday, April 04, 2006. Planned is a migration of the
>> current
>> servers to a new cluster between 10:30 AM PDT to 4:00 PM PDT. During
>> this period of time, posts may be slower than usual in replication.
>>
>> Newsgroups, such as this one, are hosted primarily by the Microsoft
>> servers,
>> though replicated throughout the world by various services which may be
>> provided on a subscription basis by your Internet Service Provider or
>> other
>> paid NNTP newsgroup access avenues.
>>
>> (thanks, Chris H.<g>)
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Hi Charlie,

Should we be scared?

Thanks
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Microsoft has a planned maintenance for the msnews.microsoft.com NNTP
> services on Tuesday, April 04, 2006. Planned is a migration of the
> current
> servers to a new cluster between 10:30 AM PDT to 4:00 PM PDT. During this
> period of time, posts may be slower than usual in replication.
>
> Newsgroups, such as this one, are hosted primarily by the Microsoft
> servers,
> though replicated throughout the world by various services which may be
> provided on a subscription basis by your Internet Service Provider or
> other
> paid NNTP newsgroup access avenues.
>
> (thanks, Chris H.<g>)
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Ok Charlie, thanks for the reassurance.
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

news:eKeu6n$(E-Mail Removed)...
> no, we probably won't even notice. their NNTP is pretty redundant. But we
> may see some synch issues. I'm not particularly concerned.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>
> Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
>> Hi Charlie,
>>
>> Should we be scared?
>>
>> Thanks
>> --

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Microsoft has a planned maintenance for the msnews.microsoft.com NNTP
>>> services on Tuesday, April 04, 2006. Planned is a migration of the
>>> current
>>> servers to a new cluster between 10:30 AM PDT to 4:00 PM PDT. During
>>> this period of time, posts may be slower than usual in replication.
>>>
>>> Newsgroups, such as this one, are hosted primarily by the Microsoft
>>> servers,
>>> though replicated throughout the world by various services which may be
>>> provided on a subscription basis by your Internet Service Provider or
>>> other
>>> paid NNTP newsgroup access avenues.
>>>
>>> (thanks, Chris H.<g>)
>>> --
>>> Charlie.
>>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Mark Gillespie

On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 16:27:07 +0100, Andre Da Costa [Extended64]
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi Charlie,
>
> Should we be scared?
>
> Thanks