Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Windows x64 installation problems

Windows x64 installation problems

Robert Jolls

I've recently had a system running x64 totally fail on me. At first it
started randomly shutting down, then it started randomly restarting, and
then the BSOD started happening, and finally it immediately said that the
system needed to shut down as soon as it hit the desktop. Upon the last
restart, I recieved a message before Windows started saying that
ntoskrnl.dll was corrupt. No more complete boots. So i figure what the heck,
I'll just use the CD to repair or completely reinstall the copy of Windows.
Well, when I try to install Windows, I get an error message during "Loading
Files: Windows Executive" that says that a file named something like
\AMD64\ntkrnl**.exe cannot be loaded, and Setup must quit. Never gave me
this problem before. What the heck is going on?

Charlie Russel - MVP

Could be lots of things, but given your symptoms before hand, I'd look at a
hardware problem. Most likely a failing hard disk or bad RAM.

Start by disabling any over clocking, and reseating all the cables and
connections and RAM on your machine. Then run a good RAM test utility. For
more on possible testers and solutions, see my blog:
http://msmvps.com/xperts64/archive/2.../01/64999.aspx

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Robert Jolls wrote:
> I've recently had a system running x64 totally fail on me. At first it
> started randomly shutting down, then it started randomly restarting, and
> then the BSOD started happening, and finally it immediately said that the
> system needed to shut down as soon as it hit the desktop. Upon the last
> restart, I recieved a message before Windows started saying that
> ntoskrnl.dll was corrupt. No more complete boots. So i figure what the
> heck, I'll just use the CD to repair or completely reinstall the copy of
> Windows. Well, when I try to install Windows, I get an error message
> during "Loading Files: Windows Executive" that says that a file named
> something like \AMD64\ntkrnl**.exe cannot be loaded, and Setup must quit.
> Never gave me this problem before. What the heck is going on?

Jane Colman

I have seen this kind of problem with bad RAM before.

--
Jane, but not plain 64 bit enabled
Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation.

Charlie Russel - MVP

Yup. The single biggest cause I've seen so far. But a failing HD is also a
possibility. IAC, the current one is badly corrupted at best.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Jane Colman wrote:
> I have seen this kind of problem with bad RAM before.

Tony Sperling

Yes - me too. Although, if that machine has more than 3 - 6 month's of
'mileage', I favor the re-seating of everything since that is the cheapest
way to find/locate the culprit and at best rectify it, all in the process.
Get it on to a well lit table with lots of room and disconnect/re-connect
everything inside in sequence - save, perhaps the processor itself. If that
doesn't help, a quick calculation on the age of that machine, or any single
device could reveal if a new machine/device possibly wouldn't pay for itself
in a short time, in terms of stability and worryless operation.

Just recently, I had my fingers inside mine for a quick and dirty
adjustment. Four days later the RAID was reported lost on boot. The recipy,
as stated above, revealed one SATA data cable loose. Still hanging-on, but
loose. Light pressure with that finger (or another one?) and it booted quite
normal, no problems since!

Good luck!

Tony. . .

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yup. The single biggest cause I've seen so far. But a failing HD is also a
> possibility. IAC, the current one is badly corrupted at best.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>
> Jane Colman wrote:
>> I have seen this kind of problem with bad RAM before.

Pedro CR

i've seen these exact same simptoms happen due to a malfunctioning disk.

A quick stop by the disk manufacturer home page, I downloaded the
diagnostics tool and ran it.

Few minutes later came it reported bad sectors on disk/malfunctioning drive.

I put it a new one, reinstalled windows xp and later added the failing drive
as a slave. I was able to acess the drive on the newly installed system and
recovered almost all of the information.

"Tony Sperling" <(E-Mail Removed)> escreveu na mensagem
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...