Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > News: Next MS Virtual Server Delayed to 2007

News: Next MS Virtual Server Delayed to 2007

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

"Microsoft has delayed until early 2007 an update for Microsoft Virtual
Server, a technology that lets a computer run multiple incarnations of
Windows simultaneously.

The SP1 (Service Pack 1) update to Virtual Server 2005 R2 will include
support for two chip features, Intel's Virtualization and Advanced Micro
Devices' Virtualization, that ease the task. Previously it had been
scheduled to arrive in the fourth quarter, but a Microsoft representative
confirmed the slip on Tuesday."

Read the rest here:

http://news.com.com/2100-1012_3-6054...4941&subj=news

I use VM Ware anyway.

--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

Charlie Russel - MVP

I use both. See my blog today, actually. And I'm going to follow up with an
Expert Zone column shortly, that will have screen shots and more detail.
Though I'm not sure how much they'll let me say there about VMWare. We'll
see.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
> "Microsoft has delayed until early 2007 an update for Microsoft Virtual
> Server, a technology that lets a computer run multiple incarnations of
> Windows simultaneously.
>
> The SP1 (Service Pack 1) update to Virtual Server 2005 R2 will include
> support for two chip features, Intel's Virtualization and Advanced Micro
> Devices' Virtualization, that ease the task. Previously it had been
> scheduled to arrive in the fourth quarter, but a Microsoft representative
> confirmed the slip on Tuesday."
>
> Read the rest here:
>
> http://news.com.com/2100-1012_3-6054...4941&subj=news
>
> I use VM Ware anyway.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Ok, looking forward to it.

"Though I'm not sure how much they'll let me say there about VMWare. "
Take a risk.
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I use both. See my blog today, actually. And I'm going to follow up with an
>Expert Zone column shortly, that will have screen shots and more detail.
>Though I'm not sure how much they'll let me say there about VMWare. We'll
>see.
>

> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>
> Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
>> "Microsoft has delayed until early 2007 an update for Microsoft Virtual
>> Server, a technology that lets a computer run multiple incarnations of
>> Windows simultaneously.
>>
>> The SP1 (Service Pack 1) update to Virtual Server 2005 R2 will include
>> support for two chip features, Intel's Virtualization and Advanced Micro
>> Devices' Virtualization, that ease the task. Previously it had been
>> scheduled to arrive in the fourth quarter, but a Microsoft representative
>> confirmed the slip on Tuesday."
>>
>> Read the rest here:
>>
>> http://news.com.com/2100-1012_3-6054...4941&subj=news
>>
>> I use VM Ware anyway.

Charlie Russel - MVP

Oh, I'll _write_ it. We'll see what they cut. It's not at all the same as a
book - I can, and do, say anything I want in the books. If I think a MS
product is a bad choice, but there's a good third party solution? I just say
exactly that. I'm still telling readers that Shavlik is a better way to
manage security updates on their network, even though WSUS is out. But on
the books, I own the copyright. Columns are not the same at all, I'm afraid.

IAC, I'm very unlikely to say anything seriously negative about either
product - I like them both, and use both. And both have limitations and
annoyances.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
> Ok, looking forward to it.
>
> "Though I'm not sure how much they'll let me say there about VMWare. "
> Take a risk.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I use both. See my blog today, actually. And I'm going to follow up with
>> an Expert Zone column shortly, that will have screen shots and more
>> detail. Though I'm not sure how much they'll let me say there about
>> VMWare. We'll see.
>>

>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>
>> Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
>>> "Microsoft has delayed until early 2007 an update for Microsoft Virtual
>>> Server, a technology that lets a computer run multiple incarnations of
>>> Windows simultaneously.
>>>
>>> The SP1 (Service Pack 1) update to Virtual Server 2005 R2 will include
>>> support for two chip features, Intel's Virtualization and Advanced Micro
>>> Devices' Virtualization, that ease the task. Previously it had been
>>> scheduled to arrive in the fourth quarter, but a Microsoft
>>> representative confirmed the slip on Tuesday."
>>>
>>> Read the rest here:
>>>
>>> http://news.com.com/2100-1012_3-6054...4941&subj=news
>>>
>>> I use VM Ware anyway.

Dominic Payer

If you can route a cable from line-out on the new machine to line-in on the
64 bit machine - needs available line-in on the 64 bit - you should share
the speakers OK.

Just be careful of applications on the 64 bit muting the line-in when you
don't want them to.

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'd like to read that column, Charlie - will you remind us when it's out?
> And, will you be go into any depth about how the new chips will impact on
> the future of the technology?
>
> I like the idea behind the virtual-machine technology, as much as I am
> disappointed about some of the limitations. I have very nearly taken the
> jump. In the mean-time, (and following the discussions on cases and PSU's)
> I have rebuilt an old AMD XP 2400. The result reminded me of something
> John Dvorak once said, (probably almost two decades ago) :
>
> "If you want to multi-task, you need at least two machines".
>
> You may think what you like about John, but he certainly had his days.
> This new machine is fantastic, new motherboard, new case and PSU, new CPU
> cooler, new HD, new memory - KVM switch. Tomorrow, I will collect a cable
> to set up a network between them and 'share' the printer. Do anybody know
> if I can also 'share' the sound-card that sits in the 64bit? I'd hate it
> if I had to have two sets of speakers. But this has been a great
> experience for that perpetual 'next' machine that's always lurking in the
> shadows. And thanks goes to you Charlie and to all the 'group', for the
> terrific sharing of frank opinion and hard-earned knowledge.
>
> I really do believe this 'killed' the concept of 'dual-booting' for me,
> and if I ever get serious about Linux, I'll be needing a third one!
>
> Greetings!
>
> Tony. . .

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I use both. See my blog today, actually. And I'm going to follow up with
>>an Expert Zone column shortly, that will have screen shots and more
>>detail. Though I'm not sure how much they'll let me say there about
>>VMWare. We'll see.
>>

>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>
>> Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
>>> "Microsoft has delayed until early 2007 an update for Microsoft Virtual
>>> Server, a technology that lets a computer run multiple incarnations of
>>> Windows simultaneously.
>>>
>>> The SP1 (Service Pack 1) update to Virtual Server 2005 R2 will include
>>> support for two chip features, Intel's Virtualization and Advanced Micro
>>> Devices' Virtualization, that ease the task. Previously it had been
>>> scheduled to arrive in the fourth quarter, but a Microsoft
>>> representative
>>> confirmed the slip on Tuesday."
>>>
>>> Read the rest here:
>>>
>>> http://news.com.com/2100-1012_3-6054...4941&subj=news
>>>
>>> I use VM Ware anyway.

Mark Gillespie

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 01:59:01 +0200, Andre Da Costa [Extended64]
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Microsoft has delayed until early 2007 an update for Microsoft Virtual
> Server, a technology that lets a computer run multiple incarnations of
> Windows simultaneously.

It was inevitable, as VMWare already has these features, so launching a
product update without them, would have been commercial suicide...

Tony Sperling

I'd like to read that column, Charlie - will you remind us when it's out?
And, will you be go into any depth about how the new chips will impact on
the future of the technology?

I like the idea behind the virtual-machine technology, as much as I am
disappointed about some of the limitations. I have very nearly taken the
jump. In the mean-time, (and following the discussions on cases and PSU's) I
have rebuilt an old AMD XP 2400. The result reminded me of something John
Dvorak once said, (probably almost two decades ago) :

"If you want to multi-task, you need at least two machines".

You may think what you like about John, but he certainly had his days. This
new machine is fantastic, new motherboard, new case and PSU, new CPU cooler,
new HD, new memory - KVM switch. Tomorrow, I will collect a cable to set up
a network between them and 'share' the printer. Do anybody know if I can
also 'share' the sound-card that sits in the 64bit? I'd hate it if I had to
have two sets of speakers. But this has been a great experience for that
perpetual 'next' machine that's always lurking in the shadows. And thanks
goes to you Charlie and to all the 'group', for the terrific sharing of
frank opinion and hard-earned knowledge.

I really do believe this 'killed' the concept of 'dual-booting' for me, and
if I ever get serious about Linux, I'll be needing a third one!

Greetings!

Tony. . .

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I use both. See my blog today, actually. And I'm going to follow up with an
>Expert Zone column shortly, that will have screen shots and more detail.
>Though I'm not sure how much they'll let me say there about VMWare. We'll
>see.
>

> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>
> Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
>> "Microsoft has delayed until early 2007 an update for Microsoft Virtual
>> Server, a technology that lets a computer run multiple incarnations of
>> Windows simultaneously.
>>
>> The SP1 (Service Pack 1) update to Virtual Server 2005 R2 will include
>> support for two chip features, Intel's Virtualization and Advanced Micro
>> Devices' Virtualization, that ease the task. Previously it had been
>> scheduled to arrive in the fourth quarter, but a Microsoft representative
>> confirmed the slip on Tuesday."
>>
>> Read the rest here:
>>
>> http://news.com.com/2100-1012_3-6054...4941&subj=news
>>
>> I use VM Ware anyway.

Tony Sperling

Wow, thanks! This, of course, is the way to do it. Having immersed myself in
network thinking, I simply had to make it more difficult than it was. I have
an Audigy 2 on the 64bit and currently a very old 'Addonics' card with a
Yamaha chip on the new one - I put it in for the game connector - but I'm
sure I will eventually be using the more modern sound from the chipset
(AC97, I think).

This 'muting' business - if I enable everything I need in the Mixer, I
shouldn't expect any random interference, or?

Sounds O.K. to you?

Tony. . .

"Dominic Payer" <dominic@dc_payer.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you can route a cable from line-out on the new machine to line-in on
> the 64 bit machine - needs available line-in on the 64 bit - you should
> share the speakers OK.
>
> Just be careful of applications on the 64 bit muting the line-in when you
> don't want them to.

> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I'd like to read that column, Charlie - will you remind us when it's out?
>> And, will you be go into any depth about how the new chips will impact on
>> the future of the technology?
>>
>> I like the idea behind the virtual-machine technology, as much as I am
>> disappointed about some of the limitations. I have very nearly taken the
>> jump. In the mean-time, (and following the discussions on cases and
>> PSU's) I have rebuilt an old AMD XP 2400. The result reminded me of
>> something John Dvorak once said, (probably almost two decades ago) :
>>
>> "If you want to multi-task, you need at least two machines".
>>
>> You may think what you like about John, but he certainly had his days.
>> This new machine is fantastic, new motherboard, new case and PSU, new CPU
>> cooler, new HD, new memory - KVM switch. Tomorrow, I will collect a cable
>> to set up a network between them and 'share' the printer. Do anybody know
>> if I can also 'share' the sound-card that sits in the 64bit? I'd hate it
>> if I had to have two sets of speakers. But this has been a great
>> experience for that perpetual 'next' machine that's always lurking in the
>> shadows. And thanks goes to you Charlie and to all the 'group', for the
>> terrific sharing of frank opinion and hard-earned knowledge.
>>
>> I really do believe this 'killed' the concept of 'dual-booting' for me,
>> and if I ever get serious about Linux, I'll be needing a third one!
>>
>> Greetings!
>>
>> Tony. . .

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I use both. See my blog today, actually. And I'm going to follow up with
>>>an Expert Zone column shortly, that will have screen shots and more
>>>detail. Though I'm not sure how much they'll let me say there about
>>>VMWare. We'll see.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Charlie.
>>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Dominic Payer

Some multimedia applications adjust the mixer settings and may not restore
them on exit.
I have known some just mute line-in on exit.

If sound dies, check the mixer settings to find out if something has
changed.
If your multimedia applications are well-behaved you shouldn't have
problems.

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Wow, thanks! This, of course, is the way to do it. Having immersed myself
> in network thinking, I simply had to make it more difficult than it was. I
> have an Audigy 2 on the 64bit and currently a very old 'Addonics' card
> with a Yamaha chip on the new one - I put it in for the game connector -
> but I'm sure I will eventually be using the more modern sound from the
> chipset (AC97, I think).
>
> This 'muting' business - if I enable everything I need in the Mixer, I
> shouldn't expect any random interference, or?
>
> Sounds O.K. to you?
>
> Tony. . .
>

> "Dominic Payer" <dominic@dc_payer.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> If you can route a cable from line-out on the new machine to line-in on
>> the 64 bit machine - needs available line-in on the 64 bit - you should
>> share the speakers OK.
>>
>> Just be careful of applications on the 64 bit muting the line-in when you
>> don't want them to.
>>

>> "Tony Sperling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I'd like to read that column, Charlie - will you remind us when it's
>>> out? And, will you be go into any depth about how the new chips will
>>> impact on the future of the technology?
>>>
>>> I like the idea behind the virtual-machine technology, as much as I am
>>> disappointed about some of the limitations. I have very nearly taken the
>>> jump. In the mean-time, (and following the discussions on cases and
>>> PSU's) I have rebuilt an old AMD XP 2400. The result reminded me of
>>> something John Dvorak once said, (probably almost two decades ago) :
>>>
>>> "If you want to multi-task, you need at least two machines".
>>>
>>> You may think what you like about John, but he certainly had his days.
>>> This new machine is fantastic, new motherboard, new case and PSU, new
>>> CPU cooler, new HD, new memory - KVM switch. Tomorrow, I will collect a
>>> cable to set up a network between them and 'share' the printer. Do
>>> anybody know if I can also 'share' the sound-card that sits in the
>>> 64bit? I'd hate it if I had to have two sets of speakers. But this has
>>> been a great experience for that perpetual 'next' machine that's always
>>> lurking in the shadows. And thanks goes to you Charlie and to all the
>>> 'group', for the terrific sharing of frank opinion and hard-earned
>>> knowledge.
>>>
>>> I really do believe this 'killed' the concept of 'dual-booting' for me,
>>> and if I ever get serious about Linux, I'll be needing a third one!
>>>
>>> Greetings!
>>>
>>> Tony. . .
>>>

>>> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Tony Sperling

O.K. - great thing to know if it hits you.

Thanks, Dominic!