Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > how to find if OS is 64 or 32 bit ??

how to find if OS is 64 or 32 bit ??

John

how to find if my XP OS is 64 or 32 bit?

John

yes it was preinstalled, and it do not say x64
Don't they give 64 bit reinstalled these days?
I guessed it is 32 cause when I try to install 64bit SQL server it started
saying it is not valid Win32 file.
Only that I was not sure how to find it as "winver" did not show anything
regarding x64.

"Jane Colman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Did it come pre-installed on your pc?
>
> Start -> Run -> winver will tell you, as will System Properties. (Start
> >Control Panel>System)

> --
> Jane, but not plain 64 bit enabled
> Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation.

John

Thx.

news:OScb%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Go to system properties or system information and if it doesn't say this
> OS Name Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP Professional x64 Edition
> It is a 32-bit system

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> how to find if my XP OS is 64 or 32 bit?

Bruce Chambers

John wrote:
> how to find if my XP OS is 64 or 32 bit?

If you have to ask, you're almost certainly running the 32-bit
version of WinXP. I'm not trying to be facetious; I'm sure you'd have
noticed paying several thousand dollars more for the Itanium or Itanium
II CPU required to run the 64-bit version of WinXP Pro, or whether or
not you purchased a computer with an AMD Athlon64 or Intel EM64T CPU.
There are, of course, no 64-bit versions of WinXP Home, WinXP TabletPC,
or WinXP MCE.

Windows XP 64-Bit Edition Overview
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/overview.asp

To verify for yourself, Click Start > Run, type in "Winver" and
press <Enter>. If the resulting dialog box does not _explicitly_ state
that you have "Windows XP 64-Bit Edition" or "Windows XP Professional
x64 Edition," then you have a 32-bit OS.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of
chains and slavery? .... I know not what course others may take, but as
for me, give me liberty, or give me death! -Patrick Henry

John

> If you have to ask, you're almost certainly running the 32-bit version
> of WinXP. I'm not trying to be facetious;

Why your answer sounds so familier. Maybe you replied the same way some
other place.
Anyways, I don't agree on this. Just because I am asking do not make it
"certain" that I am running 32bit. My question was more towards conferming
rather asking as I am not into 64bit computing 24 hours as many on this
group might be and they might surely know few minor things better that comes
with the field.

> I'm sure you'd have noticed paying several thousand dollars more for the
> Itanium or Itanium II CPU required to run the 64-bit version of WinXP Pro,
> or whether or not you purchased a computer with an AMD Athlon64 or Intel
> EM64T CPU.

My system is AMD64 X2 and that is why I was wondering why my OS is not 64
bit. Kind of made me upset as I was expecting 64bit OS on this new machine.
Again your assumtion is wrong just because I asked that question did not
made it "certain". It could have been 64bit and I might have still asked
just because I did not know how 64bit Windows XP display its credentials.

> There are, of course, no 64-bit versions of WinXP Home, WinXP TabletPC, or
> WinXP MCE.

I already know that.

> Windows XP 64-Bit Edition Overview
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/overview.asp

I did some research on this site for the answer for my question already
before I posted my question. This makes "certain" that I could not find the
answer on that site that is why I posted that question.

> To verify for yourself, Click Start > Run, type in "Winver" and press
> <Enter>. If the resulting dialog box does not _explicitly_ state that you
> have "Windows XP 64-Bit Edition" or "Windows XP Professional x64 Edition,"
> then you have a 32-bit OS.

I already did that and basic problem was I did not know how WinXP should
display (or will even display) that information.

> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

How can you even help others when you already classified thier question as
smart or stupid question.
Smart question for you: "Am I going to ask you any question again?"
My smart (or maybe stupid for you) answer: NO way.

Kevin John Panzke

Dell.com is selling XPS 400's (with a EM64T 2.8 Giga Hertz Pentium D 820
Processor) for only $999, just FYI.

"Bruce Chambers" <(E-Mail Removed)3t> wrote in message
news:u%(E-Mail Removed)...
> John wrote:
>> how to find if my XP OS is 64 or 32 bit?

> If you have to ask, you're almost certainly running the 32-bit version
> of WinXP. I'm not trying to be facetious; I'm sure you'd have noticed
> paying several thousand dollars more for the Itanium or Itanium II CPU
> required to run the 64-bit version of WinXP Pro, or whether or not you
> purchased a computer with an AMD Athlon64 or Intel EM64T CPU. There are,
> of course, no 64-bit versions of WinXP Home, WinXP TabletPC, or WinXP MCE.
>
> Windows XP 64-Bit Edition Overview
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/overview.asp
>
> To verify for yourself, Click Start > Run, type in "Winver" and press
> <Enter>. If the resulting dialog box does not _explicitly_ state that you
> have "Windows XP 64-Bit Edition" or "Windows XP Professional x64 Edition,"
> then you have a 32-bit OS.
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of
> chains and slavery? .... I know not what course others may take, but as
> for me, give me liberty, or give me death! -Patrick Henry

Kevin John Panzke

Most OEM's are shipping 32 Bit Windows XP Media Center Edition, with their
64 Bit Computer's.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> If you have to ask, you're almost certainly running the 32-bit
>> version of WinXP. I'm not trying to be facetious;

> Why your answer sounds so familier. Maybe you replied the same way some
> other place.
> Anyways, I don't agree on this. Just because I am asking do not make it
> "certain" that I am running 32bit. My question was more towards conferming
> rather asking as I am not into 64bit computing 24 hours as many on this
> group might be and they might surely know few minor things better that
> comes with the field.
>
>> I'm sure you'd have noticed paying several thousand dollars more for the
>> Itanium or Itanium II CPU required to run the 64-bit version of WinXP
>> Pro, or whether or not you purchased a computer with an AMD Athlon64 or
>> Intel EM64T CPU.

> My system is AMD64 X2 and that is why I was wondering why my OS is not 64
> bit. Kind of made me upset as I was expecting 64bit OS on this new
> machine. Again your assumtion is wrong just because I asked that question
> did not made it "certain". It could have been 64bit and I might have still
> asked just because I did not know how 64bit Windows XP display its
> credentials.
>

>> There are, of course, no 64-bit versions of WinXP Home, WinXP TabletPC,
>> or WinXP MCE.

> I already know that.
>

>> Windows XP 64-Bit Edition Overview
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/overview.asp

> I did some research on this site for the answer for my question already
> before I posted my question. This makes "certain" that I could not find
> the answer on that site that is why I posted that question.
>
>> To verify for yourself, Click Start > Run, type in "Winver" and press
>> <Enter>. If the resulting dialog box does not _explicitly_ state that
>> you have "Windows XP 64-Bit Edition" or "Windows XP Professional x64
>> Edition," then you have a 32-bit OS.

> I already did that and basic problem was I did not know how WinXP should
> display (or will even display) that information.
>

>> Help us help you:
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> How can you even help others when you already classified thier question as
> smart or stupid question.
> Smart question for you: "Am I going to ask you any question again?"
> My smart (or maybe stupid for you) answer: NO way.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

A lot of OEMs are not bundling Windows XP Professional x64 because they say:
there is not much demand for it
Support cost
Support for devices that you might add to the system that might not be
supported by the system

Hopefully Vista which will have 64bit support will be more consumer
friendly, with greater support from the industry.

You can purchase the Full OEM Version of Windows XP Professional from the
following vendors:
http://www.planetamd64.com/catalog
http://www.ncix.com
http://www.directron.com
http://www.newegg.com
http://www.zipzoomfly.com
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> If you have to ask, you're almost certainly running the 32-bit
>> version of WinXP. I'm not trying to be facetious;

> Why your answer sounds so familier. Maybe you replied the same way some
> other place.
> Anyways, I don't agree on this. Just because I am asking do not make it
> "certain" that I am running 32bit. My question was more towards conferming
> rather asking as I am not into 64bit computing 24 hours as many on this
> group might be and they might surely know few minor things better that
> comes with the field.
>
>> I'm sure you'd have noticed paying several thousand dollars more for the
>> Itanium or Itanium II CPU required to run the 64-bit version of WinXP
>> Pro, or whether or not you purchased a computer with an AMD Athlon64 or
>> Intel EM64T CPU.

> My system is AMD64 X2 and that is why I was wondering why my OS is not 64
> bit. Kind of made me upset as I was expecting 64bit OS on this new
> machine. Again your assumtion is wrong just because I asked that question
> did not made it "certain". It could have been 64bit and I might have still
> asked just because I did not know how 64bit Windows XP display its
> credentials.
>

>> There are, of course, no 64-bit versions of WinXP Home, WinXP TabletPC,
>> or WinXP MCE.

> I already know that.
>

>> Windows XP 64-Bit Edition Overview
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/overview.asp

> I did some research on this site for the answer for my question already
> before I posted my question. This makes "certain" that I could not find
> the answer on that site that is why I posted that question.
>
>> To verify for yourself, Click Start > Run, type in "Winver" and press
>> <Enter>. If the resulting dialog box does not _explicitly_ state that
>> you have "Windows XP 64-Bit Edition" or "Windows XP Professional x64
>> Edition," then you have a 32-bit OS.

> I already did that and basic problem was I did not know how WinXP should
> display (or will even display) that information.
>

>> Help us help you:
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> How can you even help others when you already classified thier question as
> smart or stupid question.
> Smart question for you: "Am I going to ask you any question again?"
> My smart (or maybe stupid for you) answer: NO way.

Homer J. Simpson

> My system is AMD64 X2 and that is why I was wondering why my OS is not 64
> bit. Kind of made me upset as I was expecting 64bit OS on this new
> machine.

I wouldn't *expect* anybody to preload a 64-bit OS even on a machine based
on the latest and greatest X2 or EM64T-capable CPU. It'll be a while still
before any OEM preloads a 64-bit OS "by default"--that is, unless you
specifically ask for something else.

Nothing wrong with asking though, especially if you went in with that
belief.

BTW, as far as XP is concerned, the 64-bit version has the same version
number as 2003 (5.2.3790--off the top of my head). 32-bit XP is 5.1.2600
(try "ver" at a command prompt)

Rick

Apparently you weren't paying attention in class!

Windows x64 is the same code base as Server 2003. That's why the
difference in version numbers. Win x64 is not an upgrade of Win XP 32-bit.

Also, if you had stayed awake, Win x64 w/SP1 is the same security level
as Win XP w/SP2 (32-bit).