Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > x64 Setup Can't See My SATA Drive

x64 Setup Can't See My SATA Drive

Jon Davis

I'm currently running 32-bit Windows XP on a SATA drive. I've set up on this
hard drive an instance of Windows Server 2003 64-bit as a dual-boot. (Same
partition, installed to \WIN2K3, I just had to rename the Program Files for
XP, install 64-bit Windows Server, rename Program Files again to Program
Files (32-bit), rename the "Program Files" key in the 64-bit registry to
point to the new path, and then revert the XP Program Files back to the
original name.) But I've since deleted that \WIN2K3 directory, as well as
the two Program Files directories ".. (32-bit)" and ".. (64-bit)". Now I
just boot to XP 32-bit. Everything works great for my 32-bit Windows
instance.

Since then I also got two more SATA hard drives and enabled nVidia RAID
(striping) for the two new drives. I had to install drivers within Windows
XP to see the new drives, but otherwise everything is fine there, now, too.

Now my problem is I want to install Windows XP 64-bit, same way as I
installed Windows 2003 64-bit. Unfortunately, however, Setup won't see my
original SATA drive. It sees all my USB drives (LOL!! like I want to install
Windows XP 64-bit on my 128MB USB flash drive) but not my SATA drive.

I tried hitting F6 to load drivers, and I had a CD-ROM in the drive that I
burned that has the nVidia nForce drivers for SATA (for WinXP 64-bit, and
with no subdirectory nesting), but Windows said that it found no floppy
drives. I don't have a floppy drive. *sigh*

I'm not sure where to go from here. I could try temporarily disabling the
RAID from the BIOS but I'm scared that if I disable it and then reenable it,
the array will be reset (as in, logically wipe out the data).

Here is my config as I type this:

IDE0: DVD-RW (XP boot disc)
IDE1: DVD/CD-RW (nVidia SATA driver disc)
SATA0: 300 GB HD (Windows XP 32-bit)
SATA1: 400 GB HD (nVidia RAID Disk 1)
SATA4: 400 GB HD (nVidia RAID Disk 2)

Any ideas? Much appreciated ...

- Jon

Charlie Russel - MVP

1.) You need a floppy drive. That requirement isn't going away until Vista.
2.) Remove the USB devices. They'll cause problems.
3.) Hit F6, insert the floppy in the drive, and load the 64bit driver for
your SATA.
4.) the going price for a floppy drive is ~$15 USD. If you want a USB
floppy, probably 3 times that.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Jon Davis wrote:
> I'm currently running 32-bit Windows XP on a SATA drive. I've set up on
> this hard drive an instance of Windows Server 2003 64-bit as a dual-boot.
> (Same partition, installed to \WIN2K3, I just had to rename the Program
> Files for XP, install 64-bit Windows Server, rename Program Files again
> to Program Files (32-bit), rename the "Program Files" key in the 64-bit
> registry to point to the new path, and then revert the XP Program Files
> back to the original name.) But I've since deleted that \WIN2K3
> directory, as well as the two Program Files directories ".. (32-bit)" and
> ".. (64-bit)". Now I just boot to XP 32-bit. Everything works great for
> my 32-bit Windows instance.
>
> Since then I also got two more SATA hard drives and enabled nVidia RAID
> (striping) for the two new drives. I had to install drivers within Windows
> XP to see the new drives, but otherwise everything is fine there, now,
> too.
> Now my problem is I want to install Windows XP 64-bit, same way as I
> installed Windows 2003 64-bit. Unfortunately, however, Setup won't see my
> original SATA drive. It sees all my USB drives (LOL!! like I want to
> install Windows XP 64-bit on my 128MB USB flash drive) but not my SATA
> drive.
> I tried hitting F6 to load drivers, and I had a CD-ROM in the drive that I
> burned that has the nVidia nForce drivers for SATA (for WinXP 64-bit, and
> with no subdirectory nesting), but Windows said that it found no floppy
> drives. I don't have a floppy drive. *sigh*
>
> I'm not sure where to go from here. I could try temporarily disabling the
> RAID from the BIOS but I'm scared that if I disable it and then reenable
> it, the array will be reset (as in, logically wipe out the data).
>
> Here is my config as I type this:
>
> IDE0: DVD-RW (XP boot disc)
> IDE1: DVD/CD-RW (nVidia SATA driver disc)
> SATA0: 300 GB HD (Windows XP 32-bit)
> SATA1: 400 GB HD (nVidia RAID Disk 1)
> SATA4: 400 GB HD (nVidia RAID Disk 2)
>
> Any ideas? Much appreciated ...
>
> - Jon

Jon Davis

I've perused this newsgroup and saw it mentioned that XP 64-bit doesn't
support SATA at setup and will only load SATA drivers from a floppy (which I
don't have).

However, on my 32-bit Windows (from which I'm writing this) I have UltraISO
which lets me modify the contents of the XP 64-bit installer ISO image. I'm
thinking I might just copy the SATA driver files to the setup path and find
an .ini file or something to update the driver load queue. Anyone see this
as doable?

Jon

"Jon Davis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm currently running 32-bit Windows XP on a SATA drive. I've set up on
> this hard drive an instance of Windows Server 2003 64-bit as a dual-boot.
> (Same partition, installed to \WIN2K3, I just had to rename the Program
> Files for XP, install 64-bit Windows Server, rename Program Files again to
> Program Files (32-bit), rename the "Program Files" key in the 64-bit
> registry to point to the new path, and then revert the XP Program Files
> back to the original name.) But I've since deleted that \WIN2K3 directory,
> as well as the two Program Files directories ".. (32-bit)" and "..
> (64-bit)". Now I just boot to XP 32-bit. Everything works great for my
> 32-bit Windows instance.
>
> Since then I also got two more SATA hard drives and enabled nVidia RAID
> (striping) for the two new drives. I had to install drivers within Windows
> XP to see the new drives, but otherwise everything is fine there, now,
> too.
>
> Now my problem is I want to install Windows XP 64-bit, same way as I
> installed Windows 2003 64-bit. Unfortunately, however, Setup won't see my
> original SATA drive. It sees all my USB drives (LOL!! like I want to
> install Windows XP 64-bit on my 128MB USB flash drive) but not my SATA
> drive.
>
> I tried hitting F6 to load drivers, and I had a CD-ROM in the drive that I
> burned that has the nVidia nForce drivers for SATA (for WinXP 64-bit, and
> with no subdirectory nesting), but Windows said that it found no floppy
> drives. I don't have a floppy drive. *sigh*
>
> I'm not sure where to go from here. I could try temporarily disabling the
> RAID from the BIOS but I'm scared that if I disable it and then reenable
> it, the array will be reset (as in, logically wipe out the data).
>
> Here is my config as I type this:
>
> IDE0: DVD-RW (XP boot disc)
> IDE1: DVD/CD-RW (nVidia SATA driver disc)
> SATA0: 300 GB HD (Windows XP 32-bit)
> SATA1: 400 GB HD (nVidia RAID Disk 1)
> SATA4: 400 GB HD (nVidia RAID Disk 2)
>
> Any ideas? Much appreciated ...
>
> - Jon

Jon Davis

Ha!

http://forums.hexus.net/showthread.p...a26552&t=20748

Jon

"Jon Davis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've perused this newsgroup and saw it mentioned that XP 64-bit doesn't
> support SATA at setup and will only load SATA drivers from a floppy (which
> I don't have).
>
> However, on my 32-bit Windows (from which I'm writing this) I have
> UltraISO which lets me modify the contents of the XP 64-bit installer ISO
> image. I'm thinking I might just copy the SATA driver files to the setup
> path and find an .ini file or something to update the driver load queue.
> Anyone see this as doable?
>
> Jon
>

> "Jon Davis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I'm currently running 32-bit Windows XP on a SATA drive. I've set up on
>> this hard drive an instance of Windows Server 2003 64-bit as a dual-boot.
>> (Same partition, installed to \WIN2K3, I just had to rename the Program
>> Files for XP, install 64-bit Windows Server, rename Program Files again
>> to Program Files (32-bit), rename the "Program Files" key in the 64-bit
>> registry to point to the new path, and then revert the XP Program Files
>> back to the original name.) But I've since deleted that \WIN2K3
>> directory, as well as the two Program Files directories ".. (32-bit)" and
>> ".. (64-bit)". Now I just boot to XP 32-bit. Everything works great for
>> my 32-bit Windows instance.
>>
>> Since then I also got two more SATA hard drives and enabled nVidia RAID
>> (striping) for the two new drives. I had to install drivers within
>> Windows XP to see the new drives, but otherwise everything is fine there,
>> now, too.
>>
>> Now my problem is I want to install Windows XP 64-bit, same way as I
>> installed Windows 2003 64-bit. Unfortunately, however, Setup won't see my
>> original SATA drive. It sees all my USB drives (LOL!! like I want to
>> install Windows XP 64-bit on my 128MB USB flash drive) but not my SATA
>> drive.
>>
>> I tried hitting F6 to load drivers, and I had a CD-ROM in the drive that
>> I burned that has the nVidia nForce drivers for SATA (for WinXP 64-bit,
>> and with no subdirectory nesting), but Windows said that it found no
>> floppy drives. I don't have a floppy drive. *sigh*
>>
>> I'm not sure where to go from here. I could try temporarily disabling the
>> RAID from the BIOS but I'm scared that if I disable it and then reenable
>> it, the array will be reset (as in, logically wipe out the data).
>>
>> Here is my config as I type this:
>>
>> IDE0: DVD-RW (XP boot disc)
>> IDE1: DVD/CD-RW (nVidia SATA driver disc)
>> SATA0: 300 GB HD (Windows XP 32-bit)
>> SATA1: 400 GB HD (nVidia RAID Disk 1)
>> SATA4: 400 GB HD (nVidia RAID Disk 2)
>>
>> Any ideas? Much appreciated ...
>>
>> - Jon

Mark Gillespie

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 06:16:10 -0000, Charlie Russel - MVP
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> 4.) the going price for a floppy drive is ~$15 USD. If you want a USB
> floppy, probably 3 times that.

Or considerably more, if your motherboard has no floppy drive connector...
(which many do not..)

--
------------------------------------
http:\\www.rockhangouts.com

Charlie Russel - MVP

Haven't actually seen a board w/o a floppy connector, but I suppose it's
possible. In which case, use USB. It should work if the BIOS is well
designed.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Mark Gillespie wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 06:16:10 -0000, Charlie Russel - MVP
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>> 4.) the going price for a floppy drive is ~$15 USD. If you want a USB
>> floppy, probably 3 times that.
>>

> Or considerably more, if your motherboard has no floppy drive connector...
> (which many do not..)

Charlie Russel - MVP

Yes, that's doable, though non-trivial. And I see you've found a like to
doing it. OTOH, having a spare USB floppy around can be remarkably useful.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Jon Davis wrote:
> I've perused this newsgroup and saw it mentioned that XP 64-bit doesn't
> support SATA at setup and will only load SATA drivers from a floppy
> (which I don't have).
>
> However, on my 32-bit Windows (from which I'm writing this) I have
> UltraISO which lets me modify the contents of the XP 64-bit installer ISO
> image. I'm thinking I might just copy the SATA driver files to the setup
> path and find an .ini file or something to update the driver load queue.
> Anyone see this as doable?
>
> Jon
>

> "Jon Davis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I'm currently running 32-bit Windows XP on a SATA drive. I've set up on
>> this hard drive an instance of Windows Server 2003 64-bit as a dual-boot.
>> (Same partition, installed to \WIN2K3, I just had to rename the Program
>> Files for XP, install 64-bit Windows Server, rename Program Files again
>> to Program Files (32-bit), rename the "Program Files" key in the 64-bit
>> registry to point to the new path, and then revert the XP Program Files
>> back to the original name.) But I've since deleted that \WIN2K3
>> directory, as well as the two Program Files directories ".. (32-bit)"
>> and ".. (64-bit)". Now I just boot to XP 32-bit. Everything works great
>> for my 32-bit Windows instance.
>>
>> Since then I also got two more SATA hard drives and enabled nVidia RAID
>> (striping) for the two new drives. I had to install drivers within
>> Windows XP to see the new drives, but otherwise everything is fine
>> there, now, too.
>>
>> Now my problem is I want to install Windows XP 64-bit, same way as I
>> installed Windows 2003 64-bit. Unfortunately, however, Setup won't see my
>> original SATA drive. It sees all my USB drives (LOL!! like I want to
>> install Windows XP 64-bit on my 128MB USB flash drive) but not my SATA
>> drive.
>>
>> I tried hitting F6 to load drivers, and I had a CD-ROM in the drive that
>> I burned that has the nVidia nForce drivers for SATA (for WinXP 64-bit,
>> and with no subdirectory nesting), but Windows said that it found no
>> floppy drives. I don't have a floppy drive. *sigh*
>>
>> I'm not sure where to go from here. I could try temporarily disabling the
>> RAID from the BIOS but I'm scared that if I disable it and then reenable
>> it, the array will be reset (as in, logically wipe out the data).
>>
>> Here is my config as I type this:
>>
>> IDE0: DVD-RW (XP boot disc)
>> IDE1: DVD/CD-RW (nVidia SATA driver disc)
>> SATA0: 300 GB HD (Windows XP 32-bit)
>> SATA1: 400 GB HD (nVidia RAID Disk 1)
>> SATA4: 400 GB HD (nVidia RAID Disk 2)
>>
>> Any ideas? Much appreciated ...
>>
>> - Jon

Charlie Russel - MVP

BTW, it's not strictly true that x64 doesn't support SATA at startup. On
some boards, it does. It all depends on how the BIOS presents the SATA.
Since most mobos are using a RAID controller to also drive their SATA, the
general rule is that you need a floppy. But there are exceptions.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Jon Davis wrote:
> Ha!
>
> http://forums.hexus.net/showthread.p...a26552&t=20748
>
> Jon
>
> "Jon Davis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I've perused this newsgroup and saw it mentioned that XP 64-bit doesn't
>> support SATA at setup and will only load SATA drivers from a floppy
>> (which I don't have).
>>
>> However, on my 32-bit Windows (from which I'm writing this) I have
>> UltraISO which lets me modify the contents of the XP 64-bit installer ISO
>> image. I'm thinking I might just copy the SATA driver files to the setup
>> path and find an .ini file or something to update the driver load queue.
>> Anyone see this as doable?
>>
>> Jon
>>

>> "Jon Davis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I'm currently running 32-bit Windows XP on a SATA drive. I've set up on
>>> this hard drive an instance of Windows Server 2003 64-bit as a
>>> dual-boot. (Same partition, installed to \WIN2K3, I just had to rename
>>> the Program Files for XP, install 64-bit Windows Server, rename Program
>>> Files again to Program Files (32-bit), rename the "Program Files" key
>>> in the 64-bit registry to point to the new path, and then revert the XP
>>> Program Files back to the original name.) But I've since deleted that
>>> \WIN2K3 directory, as well as the two Program Files directories "..
>>> (32-bit)" and ".. (64-bit)". Now I just boot to XP 32-bit. Everything
>>> works great for my 32-bit Windows instance.
>>>
>>> Since then I also got two more SATA hard drives and enabled nVidia RAID
>>> (striping) for the two new drives. I had to install drivers within
>>> Windows XP to see the new drives, but otherwise everything is fine
>>> there, now, too.
>>>
>>> Now my problem is I want to install Windows XP 64-bit, same way as I
>>> installed Windows 2003 64-bit. Unfortunately, however, Setup won't see
>>> my original SATA drive. It sees all my USB drives (LOL!! like I want to
>>> install Windows XP 64-bit on my 128MB USB flash drive) but not my SATA
>>> drive.
>>>
>>> I tried hitting F6 to load drivers, and I had a CD-ROM in the drive that
>>> I burned that has the nVidia nForce drivers for SATA (for WinXP 64-bit,
>>> and with no subdirectory nesting), but Windows said that it found no
>>> floppy drives. I don't have a floppy drive. *sigh*
>>>
>>> I'm not sure where to go from here. I could try temporarily disabling
>>> the RAID from the BIOS but I'm scared that if I disable it and then
>>> reenable it, the array will be reset (as in, logically wipe out the
>>> data). Here is my config as I type this:
>>>
>>> IDE0: DVD-RW (XP boot disc)
>>> IDE1: DVD/CD-RW (nVidia SATA driver disc)
>>> SATA0: 300 GB HD (Windows XP 32-bit)
>>> SATA1: 400 GB HD (nVidia RAID Disk 1)
>>> SATA4: 400 GB HD (nVidia RAID Disk 2)
>>>
>>> Any ideas? Much appreciated ...
>>>
>>> - Jon

Mark Gillespie

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 17:08:48 -0000, Charlie Russel - MVP
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Haven't actually seen a board w/o a floppy connector, but I suppose it's
> possible. In which case, use USB. It should work if the BIOS is well
> designed.

I have one here, not a x64 capable board, but they do exist, more so, that
small form factor is becoming more common...

--
------------------------------------
http:\\www.rockhangouts.com

Charlie Russel - MVP

True, I don't ever use the small form factor boards. And they mostly haven't
been in the x64 space yet. But then use a USB floppy. Should be able to find
one for about $35 USD. A lot cheaper than mucking around with trying to
integrate the drivers and getting them all working. Admittedly, not as much
fun.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64