Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Group Policy Object Editing

Group Policy Object Editing

Chris's Group

I have installed admintools from Server 2003 SP1 (according to)
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=304718

I installed gpmc as well..

Followed copying directions from
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=895978

I didn't have gpedit.msc in c:\windows\syswow64 so I copied it there..

Now when I go to edit the MSC, I get the prompt of 64 or 32 bit
version. No matter which way I choose (even though I would guess I
need 32 bit) I get error:
Failed to open Group Policy Object. You may not have appropriate
rights.

I am getting closer and closer to getting this to work on my x64 box..
but still need this part

Thanks!

Charlie Russel - MVP

So, you copied a version to SysWOW64. Where did you copy it from? And is it
actually 32-bit? or is it the 64bit version?

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Chris's Group wrote:
> I have installed admintools from Server 2003 SP1 (according to)
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=304718
>
> I installed gpmc as well..
>
> Followed copying directions from
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=895978
>
> I didn't have gpedit.msc in c:\windows\syswow64 so I copied it there..
>
> Now when I go to edit the MSC, I get the prompt of 64 or 32 bit
> version. No matter which way I choose (even though I would guess I
> need 32 bit) I get error:
> Failed to open Group Policy Object. You may not have appropriate
> rights.
>
> I am getting closer and closer to getting this to work on my x64 box..
> but still need this part
>
> Thanks!

Chris's Group

I copied it from C:\windows\system32 to c:\windows\syswow64 (the .msc
did not exist in syswow64)
Its actually 32 bit I would guess as its from gpmc.msi - which works on
my 32 bit OS's...

Charlie Russel - MVP

If it was in system32, it was 64-bit.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Chris's Group wrote:
> I copied it from C:\windows\system32 to c:\windows\syswow64 (the .msc
> did not exist in syswow64)
> Its actually 32 bit I would guess as its from gpmc.msi - which works on
> my 32 bit OS's...

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Chris and Charlie,
This is from an earlier posting I made, the thread has some explanations as
well as to why this happens, but this is the relevant portion I think.

> Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 20:35:50 GMT
> Subject: RE: gpmc and gpedit
> I found it in this article:
> 304718 How to use the Administration Tools Pack to remotely administer
> computers that are running Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, or Windows

2000
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;304718

> Windows Server 2003 Administration Tools issues on x64-based versions of
> Windows Server 2003
> When you try to modify a Group Policy on an x64-based version of Windows
> Server 2003 from the Active Directory Users and Computers snap-in, the
> Active Directory Sites and Services snap-in, or the Group Policy

Management
> Console snap-in, you receive the following error message:
> Windows cannot find 'gpedit.msc'. Make sure you typed the name correctly
> and then try again.
> To search for a file click the Start button and then click Search
> When you try to modify a GPO from any one of the snap-ins that is listed
> earlier, a call is made to start the Gpedit.msc file. Currently, the
> snap-ins that call the Gpedit.msc file are 32-bit tools. However, on
> x64-based versions of Windows Server 2003, Gpedit.msc is a 64-bit

snap-in.
> This problem will be corrected in a future release of a 64-bit

Adminpak.msi
> package. To work around this problem, use either of the following

methods.

There are some workarounds in the article
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
<From: "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)>
<Subject: Re: Group Policy Object Editing
<Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 13:05:05 -0800
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
<
<If it was in system32, it was 64-bit.
<
<--
<Charlie.
<http://msmvps.com/xperts64
<
<Chris's Group wrote:
<> I copied it from C:\windows\system32 to c:\windows\syswow64 (the .msc
<> did not exist in syswow64)
<> Its actually 32 bit I would guess as its from gpmc.msi - which works on
<> my 32 bit OS's...
<
<
<

Chris's Group

I've seen this post before.. but cant seem to get it to work either
way... guess I'm out of luck to do Group Policy Management on my
machine..