Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > ActiveX component can't create object

ActiveX component can't create object

Abe Simpson

Hello,

I have asked that question recently but received no helpful replies, so I
thought I'd try again:

The COM objects my company sells are written in C++/ATL. When installed on
Windows 2003 64-bit and used in the ASP environment, the following error is
generated by a Server.CreateObject statement:

Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a01ad'
ActiveX component can't create object

Now, this error is pretty common in 32-bit Windows, and is easily fixed by
adjusting permissions on the COM object's DLL. But in 64-bit Windows this
trick does not work anymore. Something else obviously needs to be done. But
what???

Any help will be greatly appreciacted.

-- Abe

Rick

The lack of useful replies may be due to the fact that this is not a
programmer's newsgroup. There are a few that reply to programming
questions, but the focus of the is group is not programming.

Abe Simpson wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have asked that question recently but received no helpful replies, so I
> thought I'd try again:
>
> The COM objects my company sells are written in C++/ATL. When installed on
> Windows 2003 64-bit and used in the ASP environment, the following error is
> generated by a Server.CreateObject statement:
>
> Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a01ad'
> ActiveX component can't create object
>
> Now, this error is pretty common in 32-bit Windows, and is easily fixed by
> adjusting permissions on the COM object's DLL. But in 64-bit Windows this
> trick does not work anymore. Something else obviously needs to be done. But
> what???
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciacted.
>
> -- Abe

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

microsoft.public.vc.atl
microsoft.public.vc.language

Post the question there and you might get some help.
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"Abe Simpson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> I have asked that question recently but received no helpful replies, so I
> thought I'd try again:
>
> The COM objects my company sells are written in C++/ATL. When installed on
> Windows 2003 64-bit and used in the ASP environment, the following error
> is generated by a Server.CreateObject statement:
>
> Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a01ad'
> ActiveX component can't create object
>
> Now, this error is pretty common in 32-bit Windows, and is easily fixed by
> adjusting permissions on the COM object's DLL. But in 64-bit Windows this
> trick does not work anymore. Something else obviously needs to be done.
> But what???
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciacted.
>
> -- Abe

Homer J. Simpson

> The COM objects my company sells are written in C++/ATL. When installed on
> Windows 2003 64-bit and used in the ASP environment, the following error
> is generated by a Server.CreateObject statement:

Pure speculation on my part (and someone might tell me this is irrelevant),
but can 64-bit IIS instantiate a 32-bit COM object?