Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard x64 Edition and Veritas BackupEXEC

Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard x64 Edition and Veritas BackupEXEC

Einar Bordewich

I've recently installed a x64 server for AD/DNS/DHCP/Print/File and
third-party software backupEXEC and database for my customer. When deciding
for the 32-bit or 64-bit server software I did some cheking if any of the 2
third-party software solutions would have any problems with the 64-bit
server OS. The database had been tested on a 64-bit solution in the 32-bit
enviroment so that was OK. For Veritas BackupEXEC my search came up with
that I needed to upgrade to version 10.
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo.../64veritas.doc
http://www.veritas.com/news/press/Pr...l?NewsId=64402

Now, when I'm about to install the backup software, they tell me that there
is only the backupExec agent that will run on the server, not the backupExec
software itself.

What do I do? This is the only server in the network. Do I downgrade from
x64 Edition to 32-bit? I do have Windows Server 2003 Standard installation
media, but will the license key for x64 be OK? Is it possible to re-install
and downgrade keeping the existing setup? Is there other backup software
that support 64-bit?

Only localfiles on the server and stop/start of the database service (done
by running .bat files) will be needed.

Regards,

Einar

Charlie Russel - MVP

The keys are different, so you'd need a 32-bit key. There are x64 backup
software solutions out there - I believe UltraBac is available on x64
(www.ultrabak.com) and I've always liked their product. And, of course, for
many situations, the (admittedly limited) built in NTBackup is sufficient.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64