Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > installing x64 on a gigabyte nforce4 motherboard

installing x64 on a gigabyte nforce4 motherboard

toomeys

Hi all

I've tried to install x64 onto a gigabyte nforce sli motherboard and
and the install works ok once I load the latest sata raid drivers from
a floppy. the issue is that on the next reboot the raid array that I
have set up for the C drive seems to be split in the OS and you can see
a C and D drive both with the windows directory on them. Then after the
install has finished and I've had the opportunity to use the OS for a
while I try to reboot it and I get the error that the NTLDR is missing.
I'm using the latest drivers from the gigabyte and NVidia websites and
have followed their instructions but it seems not matter what I do the
raise set for the c drive always gets split even though at the bios
level it says that there is still a valid raid set there. Anyone seen
this or similar before and managed to get a booting system at the end
of the day? This is the Gigabyte GA k*NProSli board with a AMD 64
processor

Cheers
Steve

Dan Koerner

Back up and start over. Sorry, but no other way. I been there, done that... several times. It's been nearly a year since I did this and this is what I can remember, so no guarantees.

Set BIOS to where it doesn't see any IDE HD, only the SATAs, in the boot sequence; and that it has the RAID set up proper... on the SATAs only. Boot from the install CD. After the F6 sequence completes, you must do an F10 on the very next reboot in order to get the RAID stripe setup; otherwise start over. The rest is following instructions.

--
-Dan-

"toomeys" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi all
>
> I've tried to install x64 onto a gigabyte nforce sli motherboard and
> and the install works ok once I load the latest sata raid drivers from
> a floppy. the issue is that on the next reboot the raid array that I
> have set up for the C drive seems to be split in the OS and you can see
> a C and D drive both with the windows directory on them. Then after the
> install has finished and I've had the opportunity to use the OS for a
> while I try to reboot it and I get the error that the NTLDR is missing.
> I'm using the latest drivers from the gigabyte and NVidia websites and
> have followed their instructions but it seems not matter what I do the
> raise set for the c drive always gets split even though at the bios
> level it says that there is still a valid raid set there. Anyone seen
> this or similar before and managed to get a booting system at the end
> of the day? This is the Gigabyte GA k*NProSli board with a AMD 64
> processor
>
> Cheers
> Steve

Chris Kushnir

Use a program, like nLite, to create a slipstream install.
http://www.nliteos.com/faq.html

This was the only way i was able to install Win2003 R2 x64 on my Supermicro
H8DCE (installing to a RAID 1 set).

If i recall properly the problem was that installing from the floppy via F6
forced the drivers to be loaded, but when the OS reboots for the first
'real' time it sees the drivers are unsigned and loads the default (signed
but not RAID supported) drivers - stupid.

....cmk