Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > What's it looking for? XP 64 *&#$@

What's it looking for? XP 64 *&#$@

=?Utf-8?B?c2VwdGVtYmVyc2NoaWxk?=

When I boot to XP 64 I get a found new hardware message and the wizard opens.
It says it found a SI Device Pseudo SCSI Processor Device and there is
nothing SCSI in this box. Here's the system:

SATA drive 0 (Seagate) XP Pro 64
SATA drive 1 (Seagate) XP Pro
XFX 6800 GS (NVidia) single not SLi
ASUS A8N Premium
Athlon 64 dual core +4400
Audigy 2 Zs Gamer
512 x 2 Corsair memory
Antec True Power 550 watt

It does not do this in XP Pro only the 64 bit version.

Dan Koerner

IIRC, and I may not, but Serial ATA is a SCSI device. Both my SATA HDs show up (hidden) under SCSI and RAID controllers in the Device Manager.

--
-Dan-

"septemberschild" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> When I boot to XP 64 I get a found new hardware message and the wizard opens.
> It says it found a SI Device Pseudo SCSI Processor Device and there is
> nothing SCSI in this box. Here's the system:
>
> SATA drive 0 (Seagate) XP Pro 64
> SATA drive 1 (Seagate) XP Pro
> XFX 6800 GS (NVidia) single not SLi
> ASUS A8N Premium
> Athlon 64 dual core +4400
> Audigy 2 Zs Gamer
> 512 x 2 Corsair memory
> Antec True Power 550 watt
>
> It does not do this in XP Pro only the 64 bit version.

James Robertson

SATA is not the same as SCSI but SATA devices can usually be set up in a
RAID configuration too.

Windows just groups SCSI and RAID together. Presumably because
traditionally it only made sense to build RAID arrays with SCSI drives.

"Dan Koerner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
IIRC, and I may not, but Serial ATA is a SCSI device. Both my SATA HDs show
up (hidden) under SCSI and RAID controllers in the Device Manager.

--
-Dan-

"septemberschild" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> When I boot to XP 64 I get a found new hardware message and the wizard
> opens.
> It says it found a SI Device Pseudo SCSI Processor Device and there is
> nothing SCSI in this box. Here's the system:
>
> SATA drive 0 (Seagate) XP Pro 64
> SATA drive 1 (Seagate) XP Pro
> XFX 6800 GS (NVidia) single not SLi
> ASUS A8N Premium
> Athlon 64 dual core +4400
> Audigy 2 Zs Gamer
> 512 x 2 Corsair memory
> Antec True Power 550 watt
>
> It does not do this in XP Pro only the 64 bit version.

Rick

I have noticed that SATA shows up as SCSI, no matter whether you have
them designated as plain drives or in a RAID configuration, and have
always wondered why this was done. Just curiosity.

Dan Koerner wrote:
> IIRC, and I may not, but Serial ATA is a SCSI device. Both my SATA HDs show up (hidden) under SCSI and RAID controllers in the Device Manager.

PaulM

My SATA drives are not listed under SCSI, they are listed under Disk Drives.

--
--------
Paul

news:%237INB$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have noticed that SATA shows up as SCSI, no matter whether you have them
>designated as plain drives or in a RAID configuration, and have always
>wondered why this was done. Just curiosity.
>

> Dan Koerner wrote:
>> IIRC, and I may not, but Serial ATA is a SCSI device. Both my SATA HDs
>> show up (hidden) under SCSI and RAID controllers in the Device Manager.

John Barnes

As are mine.

"PaulM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23%(E-Mail Removed)...
> My SATA drives are not listed under SCSI, they are listed under Disk
> Drives.
>
> --
> --------
> Paul
> --------
> www.paulsxp.com
> www.paulsxp.com/forums

> news:%237INB$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have noticed that SATA shows up as SCSI, no matter whether you have them
>>designated as plain drives or in a RAID configuration, and have always
>>wondered why this was done. Just curiosity.
>>

>> Dan Koerner wrote:
>>> IIRC, and I may not, but Serial ATA is a SCSI device. Both my SATA HDs
>>> show up (hidden) under SCSI and RAID controllers in the Device Manager.

Rick

Excuse me; the controller. But even in Disk Drives they are listed as
"SCSI Disk Device".

PaulM wrote:
> My SATA drives are not listed under SCSI, they are listed under Disk Drives.

John Barnes

mine are listed as disk drives or standard disk drives.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Excuse me; the controller. But even in Disk Drives they are listed as
> "SCSI Disk Device".
>

> PaulM wrote:
>> My SATA drives are not listed under SCSI, they are listed under Disk
>> Drives.

PaulM

The controller is listed:
INTEL(R) 82801GR/GH SATA AHCI Controller. The drivers are listed under Disk
drives:

--
--------
Paul

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Excuse me; the controller. But even in Disk Drives they are listed as
> "SCSI Disk Device".
>

> PaulM wrote:
>> My SATA drives are not listed under SCSI, they are listed under Disk
>> Drives.

Dan Koerner

Hmmm... it must be the way the BIOS handles them...

--
-Dan-