Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > License Conflict Between x64 And Windows XP Pro English(32-Bit)!

License Conflict Between x64 And Windows XP Pro English(32-Bit)!

yiannisl

Hello,

I would like to ask about a problem i am having and i have searched
anywhere i could possibly imagine.Unfortunately,i came out empty.

I own a couple of operating systems which are genuine.An XP Pro
(32-Bit) and
an x64.Both are english.I Haven't installed them yet to my computers.My
Question is this:

Can I register them both in my name,through microsoft activation?

I'm asking because i've heard that if you register an XP(32-Bit) and
after
that an x64 to the same name, the registration of the XP 32-Bit
operating
system is automatically cancelled!!!!!!!

Is this true?????

Thanx,

Yiannis

Jean-Baptiste Faure

You can activate both without any problem

"yiannisl" <u19780@uwe> wrote in message news:5d60af4ac8db7@uwe...
> Hello,
>
> I would like to ask about a problem i am having and i have searched
> anywhere i could possibly imagine.Unfortunately,i came out empty.
>
> I own a couple of operating systems which are genuine.An XP Pro
> (32-Bit) and
> an x64.Both are english.I Haven't installed them yet to my computers.My
> Question is this:
>
> Can I register them both in my name,through microsoft activation?
>
> I'm asking because i've heard that if you register an XP(32-Bit) and
> after
> that an x64 to the same name, the registration of the XP 32-Bit
> operating
> system is automatically cancelled!!!!!!!
>
> Is this true?????
>
> Thanx,
>
> Yiannis

John Barnes

Someone probably was just confused about the exchange program Microsoft had
in the early stages, where you exchanged your x32 version for a free copy of
x64. When you exchanged it the x32 version was no longer licensed.
That is not the case with 2 purchased versions.

"yiannisl" <u19780@uwe> wrote in message news:5d60af4ac8db7@uwe...
> Hello,
>
> I would like to ask about a problem i am having and i have searched
> anywhere i could possibly imagine.Unfortunately,i came out empty.
>
> I own a couple of operating systems which are genuine.An XP Pro
> (32-Bit) and
> an x64.Both are english.I Haven't installed them yet to my computers.My
> Question is this:
>
> Can I register them both in my name,through microsoft activation?
>
> I'm asking because i've heard that if you register an XP(32-Bit) and
> after
> that an x64 to the same name, the registration of the XP 32-Bit
> operating
> system is automatically cancelled!!!!!!!
>
> Is this true?????
>
> Thanx,
>
> Yiannis

Charlie Russel - MVP

If that were the case, an awful lot of us would be in big trouble!

You can certainly license two versions of Windows on the same physical
machine to the same user. I suspect John Barnes has the source of the
confusion right. Those copies of XP 32-bit that were used for the exchange
program were then de-activated, since they have been exchanged for 64-bit.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

yiannisl wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to ask about a problem i am having and i have searched
> anywhere i could possibly imagine.Unfortunately,i came out empty.
>
> I own a couple of operating systems which are genuine.An XP Pro
> (32-Bit) and
> an x64.Both are english.I Haven't installed them yet to my computers.My
> Question is this:
>
> Can I register them both in my name,through microsoft activation?
>
> I'm asking because i've heard that if you register an XP(32-Bit) and
> after
> that an x64 to the same name, the registration of the XP 32-Bit
> operating
> system is automatically cancelled!!!!!!!
>
> Is this true?????
>
> Thanx,
>
> Yiannis

yiannisl via WindowsKB.com

Thank You Very Much Guys for the Crucial Information! Thanx!

yiannisl wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I would like to ask about a problem i am having and i have searched
>anywhere i could possibly imagine.Unfortunately,i came out empty.
>
>I own a couple of operating systems which are genuine.An XP Pro
>(32-Bit) and
>an x64.Both are english.I Haven't installed them yet to my computers.My
>Question is this:
>
>Can I register them both in my name,through microsoft activation?
>
>I'm asking because i've heard that if you register an XP(32-Bit) and
>after
>that an x64 to the same name, the registration of the XP 32-Bit
>operating
>system is automatically cancelled!!!!!!!
>
>Is this true?????
>
>Thanx,
>
>Yiannis

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

I had collected some information about the Technology Advancement Program,
stored on my space:
http://spaces.msn.com/adacosta/blog/cns!E8E5CC039D51E3DB!1337.entry

Of course it is discontinued:
The Technology Advancement Program is designed to assist customers who have
acquired a new x64 Computer with the intention of replacing a previously
licensed 32-bit version of Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional (1-2
Processor Version) Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional (1-4 Processor
Version and Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional Reduced Media Edition (1-2
Processor Version) ("Windows XP Pro (32 Bit)") with Windows XP Professional
x64 Edition on such system. This program allows customers to exchange a
license for Windows XP Pro (32 Bit)for the new version of Windows XP
Professional x64 Edition.

Technology Advancement Program Eligibility

In order to be eligible to receive Windows® XP Professional x64 Edition,
your computer must have been ordered between March 31, 2003 and July 31,
2005 with Microsoft Windows® XP Pro (32 Bit) preinstalled.

In addition, you must read and agree to the following:

By participating in this program, your 32-bit version of Windows® XP
Professional will no longer be licensed. The installation of Windows® XP
Professional x64 Edition requires you to format your hard drive. You must
back up your files and settings prior to the installation or they will be
erased. Microsoft is not liable for any loss of data as a result of this
installation. Windows® XP Professional x64 Edition requires 64-bit hardware
drivers (32-bit drivers are not supported). Drivers for 64-bit Windows are
created at the discretion of hardware manufacturers and may not be available
for some of your hardware components.

For the purposes of the End User License Agreement for your existing
Windows® XP Pro (32 Bit) software, your installation of this software will
be an "Upgrade."

The installation of Windows® XP Professional x64 Editions will void any
support with your PC manufacturer. One free support call will be provided by
Microsoft for any installation-related issues. Additional calls to Microsoft
support will be available on a pay-per-incident basis.

Cost for shipping and handling of upgrade is $12.00 USD for domestic
shipments and $22.00 USD for International shipments plus any applicable
taxes.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"yiannisl via WindowsKB.com" <u19780@uwe> wrote in message
> Thank You Very Much Guys for the Crucial Information! Thanx!
>
> yiannisl wrote:
>>Hello,
>>
>>I would like to ask about a problem i am having and i have searched
>>anywhere i could possibly imagine.Unfortunately,i came out empty.
>>
>>I own a couple of operating systems which are genuine.An XP Pro
>>(32-Bit) and
>>an x64.Both are english.I Haven't installed them yet to my computers.My
>>Question is this:
>>
>>Can I register them both in my name,through microsoft activation?
>>
>>I'm asking because i've heard that if you register an XP(32-Bit) and
>>after
>>that an x64 to the same name, the registration of the XP 32-Bit
>>operating
>>system is automatically cancelled!!!!!!!
>>
>>Is this true?????
>>
>>Thanx,
>>
>>Yiannis

=?Utf-8?B?XV0=?=

"yiannisl" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to ask about a problem i am having and i have searched
> anywhere i could possibly imagine.Unfortunately,i came out empty.
>
> I own a couple of operating systems which are genuine.An XP Pro
> (32-Bit) and
> an x64.Both are english.I Haven't installed them yet to my computers.My
> Question is this:
>
> Can I register them both in my name,through microsoft activation?
>
> I'm asking because i've heard that if you register an XP(32-Bit) and
> after
> that an x64 to the same name, the registration of the XP 32-Bit
> operating
> system is automatically cancelled!!!!!!!
>
> Is this true?????
>
> Thanx,
>
> Yiannis

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Your name is not what makes it unique, its the product identification which
is generated when you activate the software. So there is nothing to worry
about. I have XP Professional x64 and XP Professional x86 on the same
machine separate partitions activate, no problems.
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"]]" <]]@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "yiannisl" wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I would like to ask about a problem i am having and i have searched
>> anywhere i could possibly imagine.Unfortunately,i came out empty.
>>
>> I own a couple of operating systems which are genuine.An XP Pro
>> (32-Bit) and
>> an x64.Both are english.I Haven't installed them yet to my computers.My
>> Question is this:
>>
>> Can I register them both in my name,through microsoft activation?
>>
>> I'm asking because i've heard that if you register an XP(32-Bit) and
>> after
>> that an x64 to the same name, the registration of the XP 32-Bit
>> operating
>> system is automatically cancelled!!!!!!!
>>
>> Is this true?????
>>
>> Thanx,
>>
>> Yiannis

Colin Barnhorst

You are probably thinking of a program which has long ago ended which
allowed you to exchange a 32-bit edition for the 64-bit one. That was a
special program and not a feature of the software.

If you own copies of both editions you can install both on the same machine
(be sure to install the 32-bit edition first) and you will have a dual boot
machine. Each will activate without regard to the other. It is not the
case that one will cancel the other out.

It is your choice whether or not to register as a user of either, both, or
neither. Registration is never required. Only activation.

"]]" <]]@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "yiannisl" wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I would like to ask about a problem i am having and i have searched
>> anywhere i could possibly imagine.Unfortunately,i came out empty.
>>
>> I own a couple of operating systems which are genuine.An XP Pro
>> (32-Bit) and
>> an x64.Both are english.I Haven't installed them yet to my computers.My
>> Question is this:
>>
>> Can I register them both in my name,through microsoft activation?
>>
>> I'm asking because i've heard that if you register an XP(32-Bit) and
>> after
>> that an x64 to the same name, the registration of the XP 32-Bit
>> operating
>> system is automatically cancelled!!!!!!!
>>
>> Is this true?????
>>
>> Thanx,
>>
>> Yiannis

Charlie Russel - MVP

Colin has it exactly right. Registration and Activation are two different
and unrelated things. One is required, one is not.

For instructions on how to set up dual booting, see
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/arc.../21/76180.aspx

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64