Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > problem downloading word documents

problem downloading word documents

cyusman@gmail.com

Hi,

We have just moved our application to a new webfarm server environment
which utilizing hardware load balancing, SSL off-loading and HTTP
compression off-loading.My application is running on .NET 1.1, IIS 6,
Win2003.

Now we are having problem when trying to download word documents
located in the file server. It often says Internet Explorer cannot
download <filename> from <servername>. Sometimes we are able to view
the MSWord file, but most of the time we cannot open the document.

This is how I stream out the word contents to the browser
Response.ContentType = "application/msword";
Response.AddHeader("content-disposition","attachment; filename=" +
document.DocumentPath);
Response.AppendHeader("Content-Length", file.Length.ToString());
Response.WriteFile(file.FullName);
Response.Flush();
Response.End();

I was informed that we have excluded application/msword from the
compression list.

Any idea what else could cause the problem in downloading the word
document?

Thanks a lot.

Eliyahu Goldin

How big is the document? There is a known issue with Response.WriteFile when
downloading large files.

--
Eliyahu Goldin,
Software Developer & Consultant

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi,
>
> We have just moved our application to a new webfarm server environment
> which utilizing hardware load balancing, SSL off-loading and HTTP
> compression off-loading.My application is running on .NET 1.1, IIS 6,
> Win2003.
>
> Now we are having problem when trying to download word documents
> located in the file server. It often says Internet Explorer cannot
> download <filename> from <servername>. Sometimes we are able to view
> the MSWord file, but most of the time we cannot open the document.
>
> This is how I stream out the word contents to the browser
> Response.ContentType = "application/msword";
> Response.AddHeader("content-disposition","attachment; filename=" +
> document.DocumentPath);
> Response.AppendHeader("Content-Length", file.Length.ToString());
> Response.WriteFile(file.FullName);
> Response.Flush();
> Response.End();
>
> I was informed that we have excluded application/msword from the
> compression list.
>
> Any idea what else could cause the problem in downloading the word
> document?
>
> Thanks a lot.

cyusman@gmail.com

On Mar 27, 3:22 pm, "Eliyahu Goldin"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> How big is the document? There is a known issue with Response.WriteFile when
> downloading large files.
>
> --
> Eliyahu Goldin,
> Software Developer & Consultant
> Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]http://msmvps.com/blogs/egoldin
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>

> > Hi,

> > We have just moved our application to a new webfarm server environment
> > which utilizing hardware load balancing, SSL off-loading and HTTP
> > compression off-loading.My application is running on .NET 1.1, IIS 6,
> > Win2003.

> > Now we are having problem when trying to download word documents
> > located in the file server. It often says Internet Explorer cannot
> > download <filename> from <servername>. Sometimes we are able to view
> > the MSWord file, but most of the time we cannot open the document.

> > This is how I stream out the word contents to the browser
> > Response.ContentType = "application/msword";
> > Response.AddHeader("content-disposition","attachment; filename=" +
> > document.DocumentPath);
> > Response.AppendHeader("Content-Length", file.Length.ToString());
> > Response.WriteFile(file.FullName);
> > Response.Flush();
> > Response.End();

> > I was informed that we have excluded application/msword from the
> > compression list.

> > Any idea what else could cause the problem in downloading the word
> > document?

> > Thanks a lot.- Hide quoted text -

The file size is certainly not large. I've exprienced this problem
even when I tried to download a 51kb file. The file that we have has a
maximum of 4MB size limit.

Alexey Smirnov

On Mar 27, 11:09 am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Mar 27, 3:22 pm, "Eliyahu Goldin"
>

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > How big is the document? There is a known issue with Response.WriteFile when
> > downloading large files.

> > --
> > Eliyahu Goldin,
> > Software Developer & Consultant
> > Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]http://msmvps.com/blogs/egoldin

> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> >news:(E-Mail Removed) roups.com...

> > > Hi,

> > > We have just moved our application to a new webfarm server environment
> > > which utilizing hardware load balancing, SSL off-loading and HTTP
> > > compression off-loading.My application is running on .NET 1.1, IIS 6,
> > > Win2003.

> > > Now we are having problem when trying to download word documents
> > > located in the file server. It often says Internet Explorer cannot
> > > download <filename> from <servername>. Sometimes we are able to view
> > > the MSWord file, but most of the time we cannot open the document.

> > > This is how I stream out the word contents to the browser
> > > Response.ContentType = "application/msword";
> > > Response.AddHeader("content-disposition","attachment; filename=" +
> > > document.DocumentPath);
> > > Response.AppendHeader("Content-Length", file.Length.ToString());
> > > Response.WriteFile(file.FullName);
> > > Response.Flush();
> > > Response.End();

> > > I was informed that we have excluded application/msword from the
> > > compression list.

> > > Any idea what else could cause the problem in downloading the word
> > > document?

> > > Thanks a lot.- Hide quoted text -

> The file size is certainly not large. I've exprienced this problem
> even when I tried to download a 51kb file. The file that we have has a
> maximum of 4MB size limit.- Hide quoted text -

Try to follow the code of this article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/812406

Maybe this helps

Alexey Smirnov

On Mar 27, 12:05 pm, "Alexey Smirnov" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> On Mar 27, 11:09 am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>

> > On Mar 27, 3:22 pm, "Eliyahu Goldin"

> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > > How big is the document? There is a known issue with Response.WriteFile when
> > > downloading large files.

> > > --
> > > Eliyahu Goldin,
> > > Software Developer & Consultant
> > > Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]http://msmvps.com/blogs/egoldin

> > > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> > >news:(E-Mail Removed) roups.com...

> > The file size is certainly not large. I've exprienced this problem
> > even when I tried to download a 51kb file. The file that we have has a
> > maximum of 4MB size limit.- Hide quoted text -

> Try to follow the code of this articlehttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/812406
>
> Maybe this helps- Hide quoted text -

If http compression for aspx is enabled, try to disable it.

cyusman@gmail.com

On Mar 27, 6:24 pm, "Alexey Smirnov" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Mar 27, 12:05 pm, "Alexey Smirnov" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

> > On Mar 27, 11:09 am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> > > Thefilesize is certainly not large. I've exprienced this problem
> > > even when I tried to download a 51kbfile. Thefilethat we have has a
> > > maximum of 4MB size limit.- Hide quoted text -

> > Try to follow the code of this articlehttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/812406

> > Maybe this helps- Hide quoted text -

> Ifhttpcompressionfor aspx is enabled, try to disable it.- Hide quoted text -

Hi,

How do I disable the http compression for aspx? Would it be possible
to disable http compression for 1 aspx page only?

Sorry for asking stupid questions. I'm not really familiar with this
http compression stuff.

Thanks!

Alexey Smirnov

On Mar 27, 5:02 pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Mar 27, 6:24 pm, "Alexey Smirnov" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > On Mar 27, 12:05 pm, "Alexey Smirnov" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > wrote:

> > > Try to follow the code of this articlehttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/812406

> > > Maybe this helps- Hide quoted text -

> > Ifhttpcompressionfor aspx is enabled, try to disable it.- Hide quoted text -

> Hi,
>
> How do I disable the http compression for aspx? Would it be possible
> to disable http compression for 1 aspx page only?
>
> Sorry for asking stupid questions. I'm not really familiar with this
> http compression stuff.
>
> Thanks!- Hide quoted text -

Source: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro....mspx?mfr=true

You cannot disable the compression for 1 aspx page only, but you can
disable it just for 1 directory ("To enable HTTP Compression for
Individual Sites and Site Elements"). Try if it helps.