Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Upgrading graphics on a computer with Integrated Graphics

Upgrading graphics on a computer with Integrated Graphics

sharonf

This may sound like a dumb question but how do I go about upgrading the
graphics on a computer with integrated graphics? I want to add a better
graphics card to a Dell Dimension E521 AMD Athlon with NVIDIA GeForce
6150 LE Integrated Graphics. If I simply add another graphics card how
will that interact with the integrated graphics already installed?

Walter Mautner

sharonf wrote:

> This may sound like a dumb question but how do I go about upgrading the
> graphics on a computer with integrated graphics? I want to add a better
> graphics card to a Dell Dimension E521 AMD Athlon with NVIDIA GeForce
> 6150 LE Integrated Graphics. If I simply add another graphics card how
> will that interact with the integrated graphics already installed?

Not knowing your model and the extra slot (agp or pcie or none?) you may
have to disable the onboard graphic in your bios setup, or change
precedence. Some boards do allow dual graphics, some others switch off
onboard automagically without intervention possible.

-Art- (not Art)

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 21:32:34 -0700, sharonf <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>This may sound like a dumb question but how do I go about upgrading the
>graphics on a computer with integrated graphics? I want to add a better
>graphics card to a Dell Dimension E521 AMD Athlon with NVIDIA GeForce
>6150 LE Integrated Graphics. If I simply add another graphics card how
>will that interact with the integrated graphics already installed?

generally I would check to see if the intergrated graphic card can be
disabled in the bios setup, also enable the new card (apg).

-Art- (not Art)

-Art- (not Art)

Jerry Attic

sharonf <(E-Mail Removed)> said in news:46089bfe$0$9331
$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com:

> This may sound like a dumb question but how do I go about upgrading the
> graphics on a computer with integrated graphics? I want to add a better
> graphics card to a Dell Dimension E521 AMD Athlon with NVIDIA GeForce
> 6150 LE Integrated Graphics. If I simply add another graphics card how
> will that interact with the integrated graphics already installed?

It seems to come with a separate video card loaded with 256 megs of RAM:

http://compreviews.about.com/od/budg...ensionE521.htm

If this is the machine you have, why do you feel the need to upgrade it? Of
course, if you have the less expensive one with a single core processor, it
might have a cheaper card, but all models appear to use a separate video
card.

http://www.dell.com/content/products...px/dimen_e521?
c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

The Geforce 7300 LE appears to be an inexpensive card and is a PCIE card.
You can buy a better PCIE video card at the likes of Newegg.com or
pricewatch.com. Unless you are planning to run higher end video games, I
really don't see the need for it.

Jerry