Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon D80: Goose Doing Pilates

Nikon D80: Goose Doing Pilates

M-M

This Canada Goose was posing while doing pilates in the sunset.

http://www.mhmyers.com/temp/DSC_0419a.jpg

(I know, I should have taken it with RAW but the white is /supposed/ to
be white.)

--
m-m

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 20:28:40 -0400, in rec.photo.digital M-M
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>This Canada Goose was posing while doing pilates in the sunset.
>
>http://www.mhmyers.com/temp/DSC_0419a.jpg
>
>(I know, I should have taken it with RAW but the white is /supposed/ to
>be white.)

But you don't want to blow out the details either, which this appears to
have lost. Tough shot yes. Does the D80 allow you check an rgb histogram?
--
Ed Ruf ((E-Mail Removed))

M-M

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >http://www.mhmyers.com/temp/DSC_0419a.jpg
> >
> >(I know, I should have taken it with RAW but the white is /supposed/ to
> >be white.)

> But you don't want to blow out the details either, which this appears to
> have lost. Tough shot yes. Does the D80 allow you check an rgb histogram?

It does. Here it is for this photo:

http://www.mhmyers.com/temp/rgb.jpg

What can I do with it?

--
m-m

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 21:52:01 -0400, in rec.photo.digital M-M
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> >http://www.mhmyers.com/temp/DSC_0419a.jpg
>> >
>> >(I know, I should have taken it with RAW but the white is /supposed/ to
>> >be white.)

>> But you don't want to blow out the details either, which this appears to
>> have lost. Tough shot yes. Does the D80 allow you check an rgb histogram?

>It does. Here it is for this photo:
>
>http://www.mhmyers.com/temp/rgb.jpg
>
>What can I do with it?

You could see the image was blown out a bit and try another shot dialing in
negative exposure compensation.
--
Ed Ruf ((E-Mail Removed))

M-M

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >http://www.mhmyers.com/temp/rgb.jpg
> >
> >What can I do with it?

> You could see the image was blown out a bit and try another shot dialing in
> negative exposure compensation.
> --

Does the histogram tell you it was "blown out a bit" because the peaks
are cut off at the top, or because some of the graph is tall on the
right side?

(trying to figure this out...)

thanks

--
m-m

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 19:16:48 -0400, in rec.photo.digital M-M
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Does the histogram tell you it was "blown out a bit" because the peaks
>are cut off at the top, or because some of the graph is tall on the
>right side?

Because it's butted up on the right side. You could do this with the single
luminesce histogram as well, but the rgb one's tell you which channels. If
you are only blowing out say one channel, many raw converters can use the
info in the other channels to extract detail when you later process using
negative exposure compensation.

http://www.naturescapes.net/092004/gd0904.htm
http://www.outdoorphoto.co.za/forum/_articles.php?id=30
--
Ed Ruf ((E-Mail Removed))

ASAAR

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 19:16:48 -0400, M-M wrote:

> > You could see the image was blown out a bit and try another shot dialing in
> > negative exposure compensation.

> Does the histogram tell you it was "blown out a bit" because
> the peaks are cut off at the top, or because some of the graph
> is tall on the right side?

No, the blown out bits won't cause any peaks to be cut off at the
top. The height of the histogram at any point is an indicator of
the relative number of pixels having a brightness associated with
that position (column) in the histogram. If the graph/curve is
concentrated on the right side it might suggest that some parts of
the image may be blown out, but that won't guarantee it. The
histogram is one page of the Photo Information described on pages 62
and 63 of the D80 manual. The page just before the Histogram page
is titled Highlights, and that's the one that will show the blown
out bits by surrounding them with a flashing border. But if the
Highlight page didn't exist, you could use the Histogram in
conjunction with a few more different exposures to be able to
determine if there were or weren't any more blown out areas. When
doing this it might be convenient to use exposure bracketing until
you're confident that you're not overexposing some highlights.

M-M

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Because it's butted up on the right side. You could do this with the single
> luminesce histogram as well, but the rgb one's tell you which channels. If
> you are only blowing out say one channel, many raw converters can use the
> info in the other channels to extract detail when you later process using
> negative exposure compensation.
>
> http://www.naturescapes.net/092004/gd0904.htm
> http://www.outdoorphoto.co.za/forum/_articles.php?id=30

good stuff. thanks