Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Stupid SATA Question

Stupid SATA Question

ed

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 15:55:01 -0700, Scribner wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 18:03:56 -0400, "Kicking Bird" <redman@tipi> wrote:
>
>>"Scribner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>> I'm going to upgrade my system slowly due to the expense. The first to
>>> be upgraded will be my hard drives. Since I'm still using my old IDE
>>> m/b I'll be using a RAID SATA card to run the new drives. What I want
>>> to know is whether or not SATA drives are daisy-chained like EIDE or
>>> SCSI drives. My research tells me "no" but I want to make sure by
>>> asking the gurus. I was also going to assume that the new drives would
>>> need new power connectors however Western Dig. drives seem to come with
>>> legacy power ports, which is very kind. Thanks.

>>Are you sure you want to piecemeal upgrade an old machine? You'll end up
>>spending more than the cost of a new machine and not have anywhere near
>>the performance. You can get a decent new one for $400.
>>
>>Give up your beer night and bowling league if money is tight-- or send
>>your wife/GF out to earn some quick money...
>>

> Well, here is my plan. First, I upgrade my root hard drive to SATA. Then
> I'll install my Vista Ultra. Then, maybe I'll upgrade my other hard
> drives to SATA. Finally, I'll go for the new m/b, CPU, PS and memory.
> Hopefully, I'll be able to keep the rest of my components. BTW, I already
> have the VISTA approved video card.
>
> A "decent" computer is just cheap crap. I expect my CPU and memory to be
> worth more than $400.00.

What is it that plan to do with Vista Ultimate that you can't do with say
XP? I'm on a Linux box but I have Vista Ultimate on the other box. So far
I could have done everything with XP or with Linux that I need to do.
Could have saved the money and saved it for the laptop I want.

Top

Scribner

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 15:58:57 -0700, "WhzzKdd"
<frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:

>"Scribner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 18:03:56 -0400, "Kicking Bird" <redman@tipi>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>"Scribner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>>>
>>>Are you sure you want to piecemeal upgrade an old machine? You'll end up
>>>spending more than the cost of a new machine and not have anywhere near
>>>the
>>>performance. You can get a decent new one for $400.
>>>
>>>Give up your beer night and bowling league if money is tight-- or send
>>>your
>>>wife/GF out to earn some quick money...
>>>

>> Well, here is my plan. First, I upgrade my root hard drive to SATA.
>> Then I'll install my Vista Ultra. Then, maybe I'll upgrade my other
>> hard drives to SATA. Finally, I'll go for the new m/b, CPU, PS and
>> memory. Hopefully, I'll be able to keep the rest of my components.
>> BTW, I already have the VISTA approved video card.
>>
>> A "decent" computer is just cheap crap. I expect my CPU and memory to
>> be worth more than $400.00.

>Been shopping lately? What CPU? What RAM? How much RAM?
>
>www.newegg.com - see for yourself.

Abit AW9D-MAX $200 with tax

Intel BX80553930 Intel Pentium D 930 Dual Core 3GHz 800MHz 2x2MB
LGA775 CPU $150.00

Kingston Technology KVR800D2N5K2/2G Kingston 2GB KIT DDR2-800 PC2-6400
$250.00 each, time two.

I'm up to $850.00, so far. But I haven't been shopping around.

WhzzKdd

"Scribner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 15:58:57 -0700, "WhzzKdd"
> <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:
>

>>"Scribner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news(E-Mail Removed). ..

>>> Well, here is my plan. First, I upgrade my root hard drive to SATA.
>>> Then I'll install my Vista Ultra. Then, maybe I'll upgrade my other
>>> hard drives to SATA. Finally, I'll go for the new m/b, CPU, PS and
>>> memory. Hopefully, I'll be able to keep the rest of my components.
>>> BTW, I already have the VISTA approved video card.
>>>
>>> A "decent" computer is just cheap crap. I expect my CPU and memory to
>>> be worth more than $400.00.

>>Been shopping lately? What CPU? What RAM? How much RAM?
>>
>>www.newegg.com - see for yourself.
>>

> Abit AW9D-MAX $200 with tax
>
> Intel BX80553930 Intel Pentium D 930 Dual Core 3GHz 800MHz 2x2MB
> LGA775 CPU $150.00
>
> Kingston Technology KVR800D2N5K2/2G Kingston 2GB KIT DDR2-800 PC2-6400
> $250.00 each, time two.
>
> I'm up to $850.00, so far. But I haven't been shopping around.

If that's your current equipment, then why are you worried about upgrading?
Geez...

Scribner

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 16:47:19 -0700, "WhzzKdd"
<frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:

>"Scribner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 15:58:57 -0700, "WhzzKdd"
>> <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:
>>

>>>"Scribner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news(E-Mail Removed) ...

>>>Been shopping lately? What CPU? What RAM? How much RAM?
>>>
>>>www.newegg.com - see for yourself.
>>>

>> Abit AW9D-MAX $200 with tax
>>
>> Intel BX80553930 Intel Pentium D 930 Dual Core 3GHz 800MHz 2x2MB
>> LGA775 CPU $150.00
>>
>> Kingston Technology KVR800D2N5K2/2G Kingston 2GB KIT DDR2-800 PC2-6400
>> $250.00 each, time two.
>>
>> I'm up to $850.00, so far. But I haven't been shopping around.

>If that's your current equipment, then why are you worried about upgrading?
>Geez...

No, that's what I'm going to upgrade to. What I have now is probably
equal to the "decent" $400.00 mentioned above. On second thought, no.
My video card cost about $200.00.

stupid, STUPID question! rincewind HTML 25 05-08-2009 01:07 PM
stupid question...waiting for a stupid answer Brandon McCombs Java 4 08-28-2006 06:57 PM
stupid stupid stupid kpg MCSE 17 11-26-2004 02:59 PM
Hard drives - Can I mix SATA and non-SATA? John Smith Computer Support 5 10-08-2004 06:51 AM

Advertisments