Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Dual boot 32/64 system

Dual boot 32/64 system

=?Utf-8?B?TWF0dGhldw==?=

I installed a copy of Windows 32 bit system on the same partition as a copy
of Windows 64 bit edition, and now I would like to remove the 32 bit OS
completely without reformating the partition, how do I do that?

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Delete the folder in which you installed the 32-bit Windows or format the
drive and start over.
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"Matthew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I installed a copy of Windows 32 bit system on the same partition as a copy
> of Windows 64 bit edition, and now I would like to remove the 32 bit OS
> completely without reformating the partition, how do I do that?

John Barnes

But won't his Documents and Settings be a mess unless he reformats and
starts over?

news:Ozn7%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Delete the folder in which you installed the 32-bit Windows or format the
> drive and start over.
> Andre
> Windows Connect | http://www.windowsconnected.com
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>
> "Matthew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I installed a copy of Windows 32 bit system on the same partition as a
>>copy
>> of Windows 64 bit edition, and now I would like to remove the 32 bit OS
>> completely without reformating the partition, how do I do that?

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Depends on how he installed it, I remember installing NT 4 and 2000
Professional on the same partition, but what I did was create a directory on
the same disk on which NT 4 was installed for 2000 Pro.

So, I had, D:\WINNT, D:\WINNT5 and installed 2000 Pro to the WINNT5 folder
and all data was kept separate. I don't know if thats what Matthew did, so
more information would be nice. But if he followed a similar approach as I
did, all he would have to do is just delete the folder in which XP
Professional x86 is installed. Before doing that though, back up any data
create a root folder and copy the data into it. He could then edit the boot
manager to reflect the changes.

But, I definitely would recommend doing a clean install though, its worth it
in the long run. Create a dedicated partition for both operating systems and
you should be fine.
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> But won't his Documents and Settings be a mess unless he reformats and
> starts over?

> news:Ozn7%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Delete the folder in which you installed the 32-bit Windows or format the
>> drive and start over.
>> --
>> --
>> Andre
>> Windows Connect | http://www.windowsconnected.com
>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>>
>> "Matthew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I installed a copy of Windows 32 bit system on the same partition as a
>>>copy
>>> of Windows 64 bit edition, and now I would like to remove the 32 bit OS
>>> completely without reformating the partition, how do I do that?

John John

NT4 stores user Documents and Settings in
[drive]:\WINNT\Profiles\UserName. Windows 2000/XP stores it in
[drive]:\Documents and Settings\Username. So conceivably as John said
his Documents and Settings might be a mess. As for the %systemroot%
folder by default on Windows NT and Windows 2000 it is WINNT. On XP it
is Windows.

John

Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
> Depends on how he installed it, I remember installing NT 4 and 2000
> Professional on the same partition, but what I did was create a directory on
> the same disk on which NT 4 was installed for 2000 Pro.
>
> So, I had, D:\WINNT, D:\WINNT5 and installed 2000 Pro to the WINNT5 folder
> and all data was kept separate. I don't know if thats what Matthew did, so
> more information would be nice. But if he followed a similar approach as I
> did, all he would have to do is just delete the folder in which XP
> Professional x86 is installed. Before doing that though, back up any data
> create a root folder and copy the data into it. He could then edit the boot
> manager to reflect the changes.
>
> But, I definitely would recommend doing a clean install though, its worth it
> in the long run. Create a dedicated partition for both operating systems and
> you should be fine.

Charlie Russel - MVP

If yoiu installed them on the same partition, I would STRONGLY recommend
starting over. You will never have a supportable system, and I seriously
doubt that it will behave correctly.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Matthew wrote:
> I installed a copy of Windows 32 bit system on the same partition as a
> copy of Windows 64 bit edition, and now I would like to remove the 32 bit
> OS completely without reformating the partition, how do I do that?

Charlie Russel - MVP

He should not simply delete the folder. There are all sorts of parts of this
that will not be supportable, including but not limited to Program Files
directory.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
> Delete the folder in which you installed the 32-bit Windows or format the
> drive and start over.
> --
>
> "Matthew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I installed a copy of Windows 32 bit system on the same partition as a
>> copy of Windows 64 bit edition, and now I would like to remove the 32
>> bit OS completely without reformating the partition, how do I do that?

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

I know that, thats why I installed it in a directory I created called WINNT5
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"John John" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> NT4 stores user Documents and Settings in
> [drive]:\WINNT\Profiles\UserName. Windows 2000/XP stores it in
> [drive]:\Documents and Settings\Username. So conceivably as John said his
> Documents and Settings might be a mess. As for the %systemroot% folder by
> default on Windows NT and Windows 2000 it is WINNT. On XP it is Windows.
>
> John
>
> Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
>> Depends on how he installed it, I remember installing NT 4 and 2000
>> Professional on the same partition, but what I did was create a directory
>> on the same disk on which NT 4 was installed for 2000 Pro.
>>
>> So, I had, D:\WINNT, D:\WINNT5 and installed 2000 Pro to the WINNT5
>> folder and all data was kept separate. I don't know if thats what Matthew
>> did, so more information would be nice. But if he followed a similar
>> approach as I did, all he would have to do is just delete the folder in
>> which XP Professional x86 is installed. Before doing that though, back
>> up any data create a root folder and copy the data into it. He could then
>> edit the boot manager to reflect the changes.
>>
>> But, I definitely would recommend doing a clean install though, its worth
>> it in the long run. Create a dedicated partition for both operating
>> systems and you should be fine.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Yeah I forgot about that, but that is if he is sharing the Programs Files
directory between both operating systems, if not, the only vital thing here
is the data in the Windows 32-bit accounts on that system.
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> He should not simply delete the folder. There are all sorts of parts of
> this that will not be supportable, including but not limited to Program
> Files directory.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>
> Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
>> Delete the folder in which you installed the 32-bit Windows or format the
>> drive and start over.
>> --
>>
>> "Matthew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I installed a copy of Windows 32 bit system on the same partition as a
>>> copy of Windows 64 bit edition, and now I would like to remove the 32
>>> bit OS completely without reformating the partition, how do I do that?

Charlie Russel - MVP

He can't NOT share them. It's the nature of the install. This can NEVER be a
supported system. We've tried to be very clear from the beginning -
different architectures MUST be on different partitions. Period. (yes, in
the old days, you could get away with this - 32-bit to 32-bit. but this
isn't 32-bit to 32-bit.)

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64